Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Anyone know a pub that would be showing the minor game in Dublin city centre this evening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Ref seems to be riding Mayo so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Not looking good at this stage. Prob need a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Need to just run at them, that ref is giving soft frees all game for decent tackles.

Edit: need to be able to kick a free.

Galway dropping very deep early doors, game is still there to be won

That is diabolical reffing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Game over now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Galway the better team, but the ref seems to be giving them everything.

Galway full credit for the win, some of our lads went missing.

How do you avoid a group of 16 and 17 year olds believing they just need to turn up when they have beaten the same team easily twice already. Complacency set in. Still a handful of very talented players there

• Advertisement

Well deserved win for Galway, their sweeper worked very well, esp in the 1st half.

Disappointing for the Mayo lads but there's a few future seniors there

The blanket defence was the difference. We just dont seem to know how to counter it. Getting tired of writing that.

Saying that I felt the reffing was a big issue. Some seriously bad calls in that game. It's not fair on young lads in an all ireland final. The standards should be higher.

As an outsider looking in, I feel that the Mayo underage development squads are being poorly coached. There is a serious coaching deficit when it comes to kicking and poor shooting, and I'm comparing the development squads of those of the likes of Kerry and Tyrone in particular. I wonder is that the thoughts of other Mayo posters here? Ref had a shocker which didn't help ye guys this evening. Hard luck lads.

You might be right if it's ex senior players doing the coaching. Some of them couldn't kick it over the bar either.

The problem is we can't seem to score long range points when they have everyone behind the ball. We need to get it close to goal to have a shot.

Other teams seem to have the players and ability to get the ball have one look and over the bar from long range.

Maheady kicked 3 such point and Clarke a couple more. As a team they did not work as hard as Galway. Simple as

Wouldnt agree. Galway were playing with a packed defence and then counter attacked into the space left behind. It is easier to look like a hero when there is an ocean of space around you in a 1 on 1 situation. There was basically 22 bodies heading for the galway goal for many of our attacks. It is never going to work.

We had plenty ball but we kept running it up the middle and crowding bodies in there - the exact opposite of what we needed to do.

We needed to spread them as wide across the pitch and use angled runs to punch holes, like a game of rugby basically. Dublin do it and dismantle packed defences. All it takes is a few scores and the cracks start to appear. Confidence in the system drops.

if we did that with even half the possessions we had we could have won the game.

The longer we insist on soloing the ball out of our halfback line the longer this will go on, be it minor or senior or anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I thought exactly the same and a cocky feel to them. Hands in the air after kicking points and **** like that. I really don't know what is up with the total drop off when finals are there to be won by not only 16/17 years old but our senior teams. Ref was poor today but most looked cocky imo. They got what they deserve and finals don't come around easy so you have to make them count but we fook them up every time. Soul destroying **** tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

It's hard to do with a set of established seniors never mind 16 to 17 year olds. All the pressure and expectation was young Mayo lads shoulders while it was the opposite for Galway, went into that match with nothing to lose and went home with the cup.

After yesterday I was thinking these guys are been programmed for the same **** that the seniors have delivered for the last 10 years or so. Good but not good enough. It could be coaching failure or the kicking is coached out of them. I look at it another way and think these are nice footballers but mentally weak and will repeat the same stuff throughout their footballing time. The only guy who I could say is a proper 100% footballer with the killer attitude is Keegan. Why is this... Well who knows but he came into mayo setup not touching underage mayo teams afaik. Maybe it's his family who instill this belief in him as a kid,...maybe nothing to see here but it would drive you to drink tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Seems to be a fair over reaction to what is essentially a group of kids playing a game on a Friday evening. Mayo hadn't lost. Expecting management to change a plan or have a different gameplay before a ball was kicked is fantasy stuff. Easy after a game.

Hindsight is the foresight of a gobshite.

Mayo didn't change things? Yes they did. And quickly. They went with plan A: quick ball into the full forward line but Galway had learned from this and Farthing gave an exhibition in playing the sweeper. Forget about what he intercepted anyone at the game could see Mayo players further out the field looking to kick quick ball inside but Farthing was consistently in their eyeline so they recycled. It's tough when option A is squeezed off and option B is to break through a wall of maroon. They tried A and B but neither got much change.

Galway also felt starting this year they had exceptional fielders and in two games against Mayo went long expecting Jack and Shay to dominate midfield. Mayo wiped them in both games. Add that to Derry doing the same they completely reinvented their kickout strategy. Hours upon hours the last few weeks trying to get it right and it came together last night giving Galway a platform. Kyle in goals was close to my man of the match such was his influence on the game.

Changing things and learning from defeats are part and parcel of sport. Galway got two free shots at Mayo and came our last night playing and doing things differently. Basically the equivalent an orthodox boxer going southpaw for a rematch. Despite what people think thats very hard to counteract. Reminded me of the first game in Tuam. A lot of the "In the know" crowd in underage football im Galway had crowned Galway All Ireland Champions before a ball was kicked. First two games in the round Robin only added to this. Mayo reset that mentality the first day out and reinforced it in the Connacht Final. Galway hit the reset button and began to process a more rounded game plan against Dublin and Derry. And close to perfected it last night.

Mayo are a great team. And this team shouldn't be left carry the woes of Mayo football. While only so young plenty have the skillset to progress to U20 and beyond. Loss like yesterday may only fuel that desire. Hopefully the team get some sort of reception in the next few days to recognise their achievements this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

My problem with Mayo's performance last night was the lack of intensity. Galway playing an extra man stepping so where was our +1? Galway seemed to be able to come out of the back at their ease in the first half last night, very un-Mayo like. We seemed to be very deep and when Galway got up the pitch we weren't really meeting them with the tackle.

I think we were very complacent both as a team and a management perspective. We knew Galway would try to tie Hurley & Clarke up after the Connaught Final but we didn't have an alternative plan. We kept kicking the ball away first half with the wind which was our un-doing. Massive disappointment for all involved after a positive season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

They're young lads with pressure on their shoulders. They can't be perfect.

U17, keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I tuned into the second half of the minor match yesterday - I’ve an interest from both a Galway and Mayo perspective. Galway were the better team, took the better scores and played better on the day. These guys are just young and some seem talented. Some of the posts on here are ridiculous - imagine if some of those young players were reading them? This is the issue with Mayo football. At the end of the day, it was just another match. The sky doesn’t fall in - if they’re any good they’ll learn from it. Mayo needs coaches and managers who’ve gotten teams over the line & also coach shooting. Both areas are a mess there.

Great win for the ladies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

So is the process for the new manager beginning tomorrow? Most people I have spoken to reckon it's Dempsey's but I'd be interested to see who puts their hat in the ring officially. Wonder will anyone outside the county go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tomorrow it starts alright

after a period of reflection and having seen the standard of the two semis I am more pissed off but also optimistic:D

We were missing our entire full forward line . Cillian was nowhere near match fit .

Thats leaving aside any other injurieS.

Take any teams FF line out and see how they go. Just take Clifford out for Kerry, comer for galway and O Callaghan as we seen for the dubs. Never mind the whole line.

Our lads will get a good break now to recharge . Hopefully we get the appointment right and the new man brings some fresh ideas and a couple of new faces. He doesn’t need to reinvent the wheel. If we have a FF line of a fit Cillian, Rod and Conroy that’s as good as what’s out there .

The gap between the top 6 teams is miniscule now . I just hope the unthinkable doesn’t happen in two weeks or I’ll have to emigrate :p

Solan had gone in to favourite with the bookies from what I last heard, haven't come across many even mentioning him though... Anyone I talk to seems to say give Dempsey a crack at it. Maybe Solan would be the county boards preference.

Personally I would like to see Ciaran Mc involved in the new set up. I don't think we seen much of his influence this year but I think he has a lot to offer and seemed to help RO'D and Conroy come through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I wonder if we all over-emphasise the Ciaran Mc effect due to his legendary status. Yes RoD and Conroy have come through well, but we've rarely looked like a well coached attacking team in his time. Players go through on goaland time and time again pull it wide or blast it chest height at the keeper, often with a free man screaming beside them. How many goals do Dublin get palming in balls played across the square? We ruin those chances every time.

Add to that the lack of scoring threat of the likes of DoC and the repeated meltdowns kicking wide in last years final and all this year, and I personally wouldnt be looking at anyone coaching those forwards and giving him more responsibility.

I am quite possibly over-emphasising his effect. I just thought he seemed to add a bit more confidence in our general forward play in his first year. I think there was something behind the supposed mini bust-up with Horan and he didn't seem to have the same role/presence this year... But all this is in my head and I haven't a clue really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

You did hear a lot of rumours that essentially Horan had the last word on everything and wasn't always likely to take on board the advice of a backroom team, especially if they contradicted him. I'm sure some of this stories you'd hear are exaggerated but it's also possible there is some element of truth given Horan is someone who has a definite football philosophy that he kind of wants everyone to buy into.

Interesting that the county board are saying they are casting the net wide and looking outside the county too. I'm still not convinced that they haven't already made up their minds though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I thought apart from the buzz of a former great we are worse off offensively. We had a defensive coach in Buckley and that worked . We need an offensive coach with a track record .

what ever team it is I just want Solan in there and possibly one other as manager .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Why do you want Solan over anyone else? Genuinely asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not surprised that Horan had the last word on everything, that's just the guys nature.

On the McDonald thing I do think a lot of people over rate his influence and/or effectiveness.

We've discussed here all year about how the loss of Conroy and later O'Donoghue had affected Mayo, and how the replacements don't seem up to it.

If the forwards coach was as good as he is supposed to be them the replacements could have been up to it, or at least more up to it.

I'm looking forward to the management change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Also looking forward to the change! Anxious to see who comes in and what they can bring to the table. Horan did another fantastic job and has left a panel with huge potential there to build on!

Tbh, Horan was right to back himself as it worked out for him on most occasions. I hope we get a guy that is as driven as Horan and gives the same level of commitment. We can never question his desire to bring Mayo on. I do think he went a little soft and lost his ruthless streak as I am not sure Horan from part 1 would have played Coen/AOS as much. The new guy needs to make some big calls on players. I would even go as far as making an example of someone to set the tone. if the new guy doesn't then we are back in the merry go around with defeats in the latter end of the championship as we currently have too many passengers in the panel.

Surely the manager is always going to have the final say though? I dont see anything unreasonable about that to be honest, it is his head in the chopping block at the end of the day.

Also, if he is so single-minded and set in his own ways, then why do people think that he would be giving special treatment to any players? The two dont really go together.

I think a far more likely explanation is that he didnt rate what was there to replace aos or coen or whoever. When you think about it, who is actually there that could take coens place at 6? O'hora? Not sure he is a whole pile better tbh. Losing harrison was huge to my mind. Our replacements are either too young or below the required level. That is how coen is starting - he is the best of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Hard on the U17s after beating Galway well twice. They didn't get going at all. Some fine chaps who might develop into good seniors. U17 is only big kids, very young, flat performances happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

John Maughan stepped down as Offaly manager.....................only saying!

Not that I would have him in the running for the Mayo job but I wonder what they made of him in Offaly...

Promotion to Division 2 wasn't a bad achievement but I think it was during the covid half season wasn't it. Straight down again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I think Horan was still ruthless the last few years bringing through young players and sidelining some veterans with a decade of experience. Don't really see the issue with playing Coen and O'Shea. Both were very good vs Kerry in the first half especially. O'Shea was one of our best players vs Monaghan too. No obvious player on the bench that should have started instead.

Of course the new manager needs to freshen things up on the panel to keep lads on their toes.

Post edited by RedDevil55 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

I was surprised he stepped down but I think its at the end of his contract. He had introduced quite a number of young players to the senior team and their trajectory in on the way up. Somewhat unlucky to loose to Wexford (who were a mess against Dublin) in the Leinster Championship this year. Offaly would have put up a better showing against the Dubs than Wexford did. I wonder would he be interested in the Mayo job, was that the reason he didn't look for an extension in Offaly?

So much talk about who the new manager of Mayo should be and some downright rude remarks from some 'punters' when certain things are pointed out about certain candidates.

This business of appointing someone from outside and 'funding' them appropriately, should it be entertained? People saying that in a new short season the idea of a manager from the other side of the country taking the Mayo job would not be as difficult as in the past, with less travelling etc.

My own view on this new shorter season is that it is too condensed and I 'd expect things to revert to a proper season in the near future. Last years AI was what it was due to Covid etc. but having a season start in May and end before July is out(like this years) is not good...expect CP to knock it on the head soon.This years gate takings will be well down due to no Mayo and no replays. The only people the 'new' condensed season supports are the players that get knocked out of the All Ireland series early, they can go to the USA and play in the American Championship and then return to play in their own Club Championship come August.

Will McStay let his name go forward and if he does will he take McHale with him and will the dinosaurs stop it in its tracks like before?

The idea of a total outsider 'who has no favorites as regards the players' is something that I've been hearing a lot lately would be the best option. Saying this sort of thing went on would be attacked by many psychopaths and that's being kind to them! Unfortunately there is a fear amongst some hardened one directional individuals that do not look outside the box and never will. Until this weakness is accepted and worked on we will never move on.

To be fair to J.Horan and the Mayo team they have given an awful lot,to not only Mayo fans, but to the whole country and beyond over the past 10 years and more.Of course there were some mistakes made but nobody is perfect.

Its amazing to look back at the GAA as a whole and look at someone like Mick O'Dwyer who was the whole management team of the great Kerry performers back in the 70' and 80' yet today there are more back room people than there are players and then there is the Mayo set up with this and more who consider themselves just as important as all the players, backroom personnel etc who have made their lives and reared their families from the 'crumbs' garnered off the back of some great people.Its not right but these people see themselves as 'privileged' and will never go away,full of their own self importance.It might be time to look in the mirror for some of them and to have a 'heart to heart ' with the person they see peering back at them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do a Jack O'Connor on it.

Come back from Leinster to deliver glory* to his native land.

*Well hopefully in Jack's case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

@ethical

The only people the 'new' condensed season supports are the players that get knocked out of the All Ireland series early, they can go to the USA and play in the American Championship and then return to play in their own Club Championship come August.

The condensed championship is designed to help the club players have some form of a life where they now can plan their summer without having to train for a championship without knowing the start date.

look at someone like Mick O'Dwyer who was the whole management team of the great Kerry performers back in the 70' and 80' yet today there are more back room people than there are players and then there is the Mayo set up

Apart from being wholly inaccurate you're also talking about mimicking something from 50 years ago, things move on, you've statisticians, physios, backs coaches, kick out people, if you're talking about going without those then its back to the dark ages, we wouldn't be long ending up in D4, you wouldn't get a junior team without a lot of these lads nowadays.

And on O'Dwyer he was selector in 1967 after his first retirement, he had selectors and trainers all through his tenure

backroom personnel etc who have made their lives and reared their families from the 'crumbs' garnered off the back of some great people.Its not right but these people see themselves as 'privileged' and will never go away,full of their own self importance.It might be time to look in the mirror for some of them and to have a 'heart to heart ' with the person they see peering back at them!

Not sure who you have in mind here but that f**king nonsense, anyone I've ever known involved in any Mayo setup has been there to do their best and certainly haven'r "reared" their family on the back of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Whoever the manager is needs to leave out O'Shea from the panel.

I really don't get what he offers nowadays.

He used to be great at evading a number of bodies hassling him when he got the ball from a long kick in the forward line.

I don't know what he offers nowadays. It's not like his height is any advantage in midfield for kickouts considering the tactics nowadays of players sprinting out wide. He can't shoot. Defensively he's too slow.

Hes far from perfect and best days are well behind him, but I still feel like with better service he could have been far more effective at 14. Launching in high hanging balls against set defenses is pointless. If he got the kind of service Armagh gave in this year, he could still be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Are there any retirements coming? Would imagine Lee Keegan has another year in him.

• Advertisement

Keegan all but confirmed on Saturday before the Galway game he was staying on.

Cant imagine Doherty staying on too long. Possibly Kevin Mc too?

Advertisement