Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DublinsABC

Radio Memories this Sunday (July 3rd) brings you two stations ... First CAU FM , the Dublin pirate, from July 15th 1988. It is recorded off 104.2MHz from 9.28pm. and then Westside Radio Int, From May 12th 1987 this is a Sunday morning recording of the Dublin shortwave pirate Westside Radio off 6280kHz. It starts with Prince Terry attempting to make contact with Bobby Gibbson at Centre Radio, a local Dublin FM pirate, and fellow shortwave station Radio Valleri is also briefly contacted later in the programme. The recording is partially airchecked. Tune in on 93.3 FM Stereo in North Dublin / Alexa / liveradio.ie / tune-in radio app and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015/stream With Thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / Prince Terry (PS We will be doing an aerial upgrade on Sunday so some down time but we will be back for Radio Memories) 

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

UNID dance station still on 93.2 in Dublin. Judging from the coverage pattern it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the return of the ghoul that used to be up on 99.5 some years back.

edit - also noticed a very low power signal on 91.6; I’m guessing it’s Phever?

Post edited by TheBMG on

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Insidethetent

This may be related to the station on 99.5 ICE fm? Pretty strong around Tallaght and city centre. Dance music and Ads playing for a locksmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

91.6 is a local Phever relay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Ice Radio were coming in quite strong today on the southside on 99.5 FM. Maybe they moved from 93.2 FM.

I briefly picked up a station on 107.1FM- assume Co. Meath based dance station RetroNow.

Oldies pirate Star1057 (alter ego of chilled dance station The Beach) was on 105.7 FM. Some interesting lesser played tunes were on the playlist.

Incidentally, Derek Jones was live in the early afternoon on Retro FM on 92.0 FM. Energy Power AM on 1440 kh MW were playing their own music, rather than relaying Retro FM as they have previously done for live broadcasts.

• Advertisement

This week on Radio Memories from ABC 80's at 18.00 BST Sunday is "Radio West March 30th 1986 ... This is the first edition of Radio West’s Anorak Show from Sunday, March 30th 1986.

Seán Coyne and Philip Hilton present the week’s anorak news and gossip" Tune in on liveradio.ie / Alexa / Tune-in Radio app / 93.3 FM Stereo North Dublin and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015/stream With Thanks to Radiowaves Ireland and Radio West recording is with thanks to Joe Rossa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Did anything happen in relation to this ShortWave/HF operator in Dundalk - Radio Sovereign - , it hasn't been logged recently (possibly gone since April) and there is this news:

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,99073.0.html

Post edited by Antenna on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I thought it might be to do with electricity costs. But I have no idea who is involved.

I came across a station with an RDS of Fab 94FM on 94.3 FM over this weekend in south Dublin. It has been playing a mixture of oldies (mainly '80s) and danced up versions of pop songs. No presenters or official IDs. Is this a brand new station or is it related to previous stations on that frequency?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Rock Solid

It's related to previous stations on that frequency, name changes almost every weekend, automated. Getting Nrg on 105.2 think it's commig from the UK. Ice on 99.5 automated no jingles or dis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

That's Energy FM from the Isle of Mann, which people might point out is not part of the UK. They have two low-power filler transmitters on 105.2, surely a 100Watt one (power is according to their webpage below) at 'Mull hill' - side of the island nearest Dublin,

they list their transmitters here:

https://www.energyfm.net/cms/page_94514.shtml

I heard Dublin's Energy AM on 1440 kHz for a while last night (Sunday), playing it seemed 1970s music with no announcements or station ID and went off-air a few minutes past 11PM. The lack of station IDs in stark contrast to many regular music stations on FM, who ID in between every single song!

Post edited by Antenna on

I was able to get Ice Radio on 99.5 quite far south (past Bray) over the weekend. Interesting signal pattern.

I heard two DJs on it, they appeared to be live. The automation needs a little work I agree.

Hopefully they get a few months out of it and give it a good run in that time.

I heard a deejay too at one stage on Ice Radio and he was IDing the station. Correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK Phever on 91.6 (when its on), Ice Radio and The Beach on 105.7 FM (when it is not Star1057!) are now the only Dublin-based dance pirates. Ice Radio seems to be on during the weekdays which is a bit of a risk as well.

Incidentally, I was picking up what appeared to be an English station on 105.7 yesterday-reception wasn't great. That would hardly be the same one that was on 105.2 by any chance?

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

Hi Declan,

Ice is the first station of any genre that I have heard in a long time that has been on 24/7 and has reasonable coverage across Dublin on FM.

In my opinion, The Beach is more of an electronic/chill station. Signal doesn't cover Dublin so I can't get it out my direction. Suspect the broadcasts are only occasional. Similar with the Phever relay - occasional broadcasts only and somewhat limited coverage.

Note there are some UK dance stations (plus Club FM Dublin) on the DAB multiplex from FreeDAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 siezetheday

What dance pirate in their right mind would come on 24x7 in Dublin with a decent FM signal, even with advertising nowadays?

Seems foolhardy at least.

Transmission equipment and link costs have gone down over the years but electricity costs and site rent are ongoing costs.

With dwindling radio listenership in the dance audience demographic and motivated enforcement (outsourced provider so paid per raid?) the value proposition looks extremely unattractive.

The letters from ComReg will come at some point. They could choose to ignore them, take their chances and carry on a little while longer. There's no longevity in it though I agree.

I would however love to see a professional dance station appear on a temporary licence. Even if they had some major dance event lined up, they could promote the hell out of it to help cover their costs. Would be interesting to see how it would work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Declan, Heart comes in quite well here in Wicklow when there's a decent lift on 105.7 from North Wales, this is most likely what you heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Insidethetent

The heart would like to agree but the head thinks the dance music listeners have no interest in linear or proscribed broadcasting, they listen to what they want, whenever they want. Same for video watching, the on-demand choices are just too wired into the modern psyche.

Just as electric vehicles have killed worldwide in-car AM radio (due to electronic interference), the AUX input, USB Charging/Data, WiFi and Bluetooth will (have already started to) replace FM and DAB in favour of spotify and YouTube playlists.

There were a few 24/7 operations during 2020 - it probably was considered safer then because of Covid lockdowns.

This Sunday 17th July on Radio Memories from ABC 80s is South Coast Radio "This is a selection of short recordings of Cork’s South Coast Radio from a week in June 1982. First up is Nick Richards from just after midnight on Tuesday 15th June, who includes a request for number one South Coast fan, Lillian McCarthy (O’Donoghue). Then we hear extracts from Pete O’Neill’s mid-morning show from Thursday 17th June. Pete says that the schedule will be different the following day because breakfast DJ Alan Reid (Henry Condon, also known as Henry Owens, RIP) will be celebrating his birthday that night. At the end we hear a snippet of the late Hugh Browne from his afternoon show on the same day."

These recordings were made from 104 FM and are courtesy of Lillian O’Donoghue. and Thanks to Pirate.ie Tune in on 93,3 FM Stereo North Dublin / Alexa /liveradio.ie /Tune-in Radio app and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015/stream (Picture Nick Richards at South Coast in 1982 (courtesy Lillian O’Donoghue).)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

New station on 104.9 in Cork, identifying as Global Radio. Signal is quite weak around the city I can’t really find anywhere where it’s quite strong. No RDS, was taking on interference from 4FM’s Galway city TX and BBC Radio 4 from Pembrokeshire over the weekend.

What else is on air in Cork city at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Sitting outside in the sun listening to Caroline North at the weekend on 1368khz, on the North Pembrokeshire coast north of Fishguard, I clicked the up button on the XHDATA D-808 to 1395khz and Energy was a usable signal all day.

Tuned to 1440khz and the signal was there but not as usable as 1368khz . There wasn't a signal on 1395khz on Sunday .

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SATNAV

I thought Energy had moved to 1440 a few weeks ago ?, I heard the same on Saturday afternoon 1395 & 1440 both sounded verywell, not much in the difference signal wise . I was listening in Lucan . I have to say the audio from Energy sounds really good , up there with Manx ?

ABC 80's this week at 18.00 BST 24th July on Radio Memories is "Community Radio Youghal " This is a recording of the Cork station Community Radio Youghal from August 18th 1981, which was made by a touring party from what is now the DX Archive website. Starting at 12.10pm, Eileen Connolly is on air and she’s followed by ‘Lunchtime with Seán Healey’ at 12.30pm. Listen on 93.3 FM in North Dublin / Alexa / tune-in Radio app/ liveradio.ie and https://daniel.torontocast.com:3015/stream With thanks to Radiowaves Ireland / Gary Hogg

Further to previous posts about Ice Radio and its weekday broadcasts:

I picked up The 90s Network on 98.4FM in Dundrum this morning. This is not the first time I have come across it on a normal weekday earlier in the day, but I don't think it is on every weekday like that, unlike Ice Radio on 99.5 FM which seems to be on 24/7 (it could be off in the early hours for all I know!).

So that's two stations that are on at least some (in the case of The 90s Network) of the weekdays before the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

I noticed Radio Dublin on the Freedab network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Is this radio station similar to the "Radio Dublin" on 100.0 FM way back when?

• Advertisement

I am curious about that too. The Radio Dublin on 100.0 FM was around from the early 1970s, or late 1960s if you count Radio Baile Atha Cliath, on various frequencies until the plug was pulled in the early '00s. But its most famous frequency was 253 metres MW, which it only got rid of in the 1990s.

Maybe it is some kind of tribute station. If it is, though, which era(s) of Radio Dublin?

Advertisement