Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The guards must have a reason for visiting this guy, even if it means eliminating another suspect. Personally, I still see the "husband wanting to avoid a costly divorce" the biggest motive, of them all.

In the case of Daniel Toscan du Plantier, it's most likely a lot more money than all these small time drug traffickers in the South West of Ireland could ever make or imagine to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭leath_dub

The lads are off to Euro Disney and are bringing the golf clubs. If there was a "suspect" in Tirana, nothing would be done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Is this an admission that they have DNA from the murder scene?

They have Bailey's DNA, so it's not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I don't see any mention of DNA from the crime scene in that article, mentions the possible suspect matching Marie Farrells description.

Maybe they will be able to extract some over time and they will take the new suspects to have at hand.

Very odd to be making this public before they have even done it though, if he was a real suspect this would be kept hush for flight risk reasons. Definitely a case of being seeing to tie up loose ends.

Marie Farrell has so many different stories in fairness, she seems a bit of a fantasist, someone who likes to insert themselves into the story.

“It is the first time we have another suspect in the case other than Ian Bailey and we want to find this person, interview them and get their DNA.

“For all we know he could be the killer, we have to check it all out.”

I'd say if they get this guy's DNA, they must compare it with something they've got back in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I posted already bailey says it's an aquaintance of the husband who was seen following her here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It's true though it'll be no surprise if this review is just a window dressing exercise to tick boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Sophie was due to fly home on Christmas eve, she may have pushed it out to Christmas Day morning?

Whatever her flight arrangements were, she was due to leave Ireland imminently.

We now hear the Gardai are travelling to Paris to seek out a person of interest, they have the name, and know where he resides. They hope to compare DNA from this man against a sample they have?

The media are reporting him as a close associate of Sophie's Husband?

What does that say?????

Is the suggestion that somehow Daniel Toscan du Plantier is connected to the murder of his Wife? That he had her killed to maybe offset the costly expense of a divorce, or maybe he was embarrassed by her younger lovers?? Or to free the way to marry yet again.. This sounds bizarre....

Or does it?

If... And here I go all Columbo again.. If, the Husband wanted rid of Sophie, what better chance than when she is away at the back end of nowhere.. Could he really have recruited a loyal accomplice to do his bidding?

The night before Sophie is murdered, the game is afoot... The Husband has a telephone conversation with his Wife, he asks is she alone, in bed? Once she confirms hes status, the telephone call is terminated for a full 12 minutes.. The Husband states he has a business call to take..

As the records confirm, the Husband rings Sophie back 12 minutes later. What happened during them 12 minutes??

If crazy Marie is to be believed, that a man was seen following Sophie around during the day, could it be possible that this was the assassin paid to dispose of Peter TDP problem?

As time was of the essence, did he contact the murderer to put the plan in action straight away? She was alone in the house, nobody staying over, she was returning to France shortly, tonight was the night?

Maybe the murderer thought he could overpower the petite female with ease, just quietly strangle her and be on his way... When she put up a fight, he had to adapt to the situation and use what was in the area, in this case, a concrete block?

Of course this is all speculation... And granted, a bit of a stretch ....

Would I trust Marie Farrell - Of course not! But given the reports that the Gards are taking her seriously, AND apparently have a DNA sample in hand, that does add credence to her statement.

Also, the fact that Peter TDP didn't travel to Ireland to retrieve his Wife's remains always struck me as odd... Very odd.

Could be an interesting couple of months coming up....

The French Government will have their nose out of joint if a french national is convicted of the murder... I hope Macron comes over again and does a stint on the Late, Late show...

It is speculation and a bit of a stretch, but I find it very plausible.

Even in the now closed SKY Jim Sheridan thread, I stated, that most motives for murders are either about financial/money matters, drugs or sex.

And regarding motive Daniel Toscan du Plantier had the highest motive. You can do your own calculation how much in monthly alimony payments Sophie would have received from her ex-husband, plus there was also her son to consider. Remember, it's not Daniel's son, but Sophie's from the first marriage, meaning he would stay with her, in case of a divorce, further augmenting the alimony payments and compare that to Daniel's annual income.

Daniel Toscan du Plantier's income would by far also be higher for anybody doing an odd extra job in drug trafficking on the South West coast of Ireland. Just for the exercise, even if Leo Bolger and Alfie Lyons were dealing drugs regularly, how did they really live, they did not have a big lifestyle, they did not drive Porsches, or have motor yachts.

Daniel's circle of friends was probably large, contacts who had contacts, some he could trust more than others, orders could have been given verbally ( not via telephone) to somebody, and the job was carried out by somebody else, Flights booked as well, not to Cork or Dublin, maybe to Shannon or even Belfast, picking up a rental car somewhere, but taking the train/bus first. It's easy and the Guards would never have found out. There are probably many thousand Frenchmen travelling from Paris or somewhere else in Europe to Ireland, and renting a car.

It's also not too much of a problem in West Cork to spot out somebody who would fall for everything, taking the blame. Anybody who would have spent some time in West Cork would have spotted Bailey at some point.

Also a speculation, but not impossible, but without doubt, for the biggest motive in the Sophie Toscan Du Plantier murder case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

If a French national who was connected to DTDP was found to be the murderer, I would be shocked, truly shocked. Id put Alfie Lyons above the list of suspects rather than a French national.

This all seems to be coming from a photo Jim Sheridan showed Marie Farrell where she now thinks this is the man she saw on the bridge. Id say she's pointed the finger at everyone bar JFK at this stage who was on the bridge that night if even there was one in the first place. Her claims that she saw a man with a Beret following STDP the day before her murder are almost comical.

Now, in saying that, I dont think that Detective Dwyers(Mr.Columbo) assertion that the killer had to be local because it was a difficult place to find to be credible at all. With enough planning and surveillance it would be a piece of cake especially for a hitman or a man motivated enough. The manner of the killing though, no way would any sort of half decent hitman kill her in that fashion especially with neighbors just up the road, far too much of a risk. If its a man from abroad who wanted her or wanted to kill her, why again in that manner, surely killing her in the house would be much safer. Flight logs, cameras, none of it has stacked up to much about this possible French man. Even that man from Loughrea that claimed a French national came into his travel agency a day after the murder looking for a quick flight, id take it with a pinch of salt.

This strikes me as a box ticking exercise by the gards so they can rule out all possible suspects and then feel justified & vindicated at pointing the finger at Bailey. One or two more BS statements then & a trial.

Also, motive, DTDP motives while fairly obvious dont stack up when examined. He was having affairs left right and centre himself. Hes a famous artist, not exactly the type that order hits on their wives. An aggrieved colleague or former lover, possibly but when they really go to all that effort. I always felt Bruno Charbonnair should have investigated more but apparently hes got a good alibi, how good that is, only the gards unfortunately know.

• Advertisement

If "the job" was done by a man from abroad, he doesn't have to be French or from France. He could easily have come from any other nation and his entry and exit to and from Ireland would have been impossible for the Guards to check upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Your theory here is very plausible - Daniel could even have led Sophie to her killer with what he said in that final call. What if during the call Daniel said a surprise visitor friend/family was coming to visit her as a surprise. He could have asked her to go down and open the gates at a certain time ( either late that night or early that morning) to allow the visitor drive in - I lived in the country at that time and it was normal to open the gates if you were expecting a visitor. Remember this was a time before electric gates or mobile phones and with gates of that type you often had to have the 'knack' of opening them to get them opened. It wasnt always easy for a stranger to open a country gate. I always have felt that Sophie left the house voluntarily given she had her boots on. The way she was dressed ( night attire and boots not laced up) indicates she only intended to be out of the house for a short time. Whatever happened that night happened outside of that house. What better way of getting Sophie out of the house than by getting her to open the gate in darkness and literally getting her to walk towards her murderer.

A contract killer/hitman could have done an excellent job at making it look like it was done by an amateur. A clean murder - A shooting for instance would have immediately drew attention to it possibly being an organised murder and would point directly at Daniel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Hey , 007, are you free over Christmas?I’ve a little job over in West Cork if you’re interested. In and out, make it look local.

I don’t know, that Farrell woman might recognise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Important to help remove a suspect using the DNA. Presumably he will provide a sample?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭sporina

was at Colm Toibin in Bantry at the weekend and himself was there and was the 1st to ask a Q of course.. grr.. boiled my blood..

whether he killed Sophie or not, I still dislike him.. after what he did to Jules etc

I don't think anybody really liked Bailey. But that's not a reason to think he's guilty.

Police corruption and incompetence in Ireland plus a kangaroo court in France basically ruined his life, his reputation and limited his travel options.

Incidentally, I've researched Daniel Toscan du Plantier. Apparently, he's been married 4 times, had 3 sons and 2 daughters meaning that on his income he could probably easily have afforded alimony payments or have come to some form of arrangement with Sophie. This would also narrow the financial motive for murder, if we put it all into perspective.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,877 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And - whether the impetus is corruption or just a need to 'get a result' or suspect fixation - when the cops try to pin something on a suspect it rarely happens to the likeable sort who has kept their nose clean.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭sporina

What I am having trouble with, regarding the "Ian Bailey did it" theory is that if he did it, it would have been totally unprovoked. A woman whom he's met only once, and that from a distance, and absolutely nothing to gain from her murder.

And even if Bailey wanted to sleep with another woman, other than Jules, I am sure, there would have been enough choices around on this peninsula, willing as well, especially in the dark winter times. He certainly wouldn't have to wait for Sophie to come and visit from France, on one of her rare visits.

With the ex-husband/hitman or the drug trafficking theory and or possibly with that Guard from Bantry there would have been a motive. Bailey had none that I could think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

"In the Netflix series, Frédéric Gazeu alleged that Daniel du Plantier was dealing with financial troubles leading up to his wife's death, and that his demeanor had changed. Daniel du Plantier did not go to Ireland to identify his wife's body."

The claim is that he was in financial difficulty.

• Advertisement

"Financial difficulty" in this industry Daniel Toscan du Plantier was in is probably a different scope also for the media to report upon, than it would be for all of us. To him it probably meant, that he couldn't afford the latest luxuries and for the media it was probably a good story that sells...

I don't know if the police ever investigated his financial background, in the year up to the murder, and around or after the murder. Any unusual transactions, or higher cash withdrawals....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Not really sure where you're getting that from? Daniel was a film producer. A middle man that connects people with money with a script and director for making a film. Occasionally these people and their companies put up some of the money for making the film but not always. They might also buy a script. It's common enough for these production companies to lose money on poor productions and hence can go bankrupt.

After she died he got married again and had another son and daughter. There's also speculation around an insurance policy. Obviously, I've no clue if he was involved but there is certainly plenty of motive there.

Post edited by OwlsZat on

Why would her husband not come to Ireland to claim her remains?

Why give a statement to Irish police through the French police?

What sort of man is this new “suspect?” Is a business man or a known hoodlum?

Lots of questions but the husband not travelling to Ireland is the most puzzling of all - even if they were about to divorce, Shirley in her death, the husband would have wanted to come?

Daniel Toscan Du Plantier moved in with his young lover soon after Sophies death. He made her pregnant around May/June 1997 - 6 months after Sophies death! He then remarried 18 months after Sophies death - apparently he delayed the wedding because he didnt want to shock people ( nice of him to do that 😲). He clearly wasnt a grieving husband. Sophies death was financially beneficial for Daniel and it also made his personal life alot easier in that he was free to move on without a messy divorce.

I often wondered how much the Irish police was able to have an insight into Daniel Toscan Du Plantier's finances during the investigation? Did they get the support from the French authorities at all?

The gardai apparently had to rely on the French police to investigate the French side. Daniel was well connected politically so the police investigation may not have been done well on the French side either. They confirmed where Daniel was on the night of the murder and ruled him out based on this - now whether they investigated his finances, calls and his relationship with Sophie in detail is very doubtful IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I believe a couple of our finest went to France to talk to the Gendarmerie shortly after the murder.

They were left twiddling their thumbs in a Paris hotel until a junior something was sent to talk to them.

They came back with a couple of replicas of the Eifel Tower, and some duty free wine.

So that's another grey area, - till today. It's probably a bit hard to shift through Daniel's finances more than 25 years onward....

You can do your own calculation how much in monthly alimony payments Sophie would have received from her ex-husband, plus there was also her son to consider. Remember, it's not Daniel's son, but Sophie's from the first marriage, meaning he would stay with her, in case of a divorce, further augmenting the alimony payments and compare that to Daniel's annual income.

Wasn't sophie wealthy herself

And why would Daniel have to pay extra for her son from her first marriage?

• Advertisement

I do not have that insight, nor do I know if they had a prenuptial agreement. It would have to have been down to the police to investigate the financial situation, regarding establishing a motive. However the investigation was always "Bailey did it" right from the beginning, but rarely the motive for the murder. All I have heard somewhere is that after Sophie's divorce from her first marriage she lived in a rather simple apartment. Regarding Daniel's possible alimony payments to Sophie and her son from her first marriage, - I am no expert on French law. However I'd imagine, it would not have been a cheap option, same as the odd debate on properties and who is going to own what and so forth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement