Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Every government housing incentive is designed to inflate prices.

Help to Buy, First Home, HAP etc etc etc. All put more money in your pocket so you can pay more.

I've never seen an incentive designed to reduce the base price of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There are 10 houses for sale and 40 people looking to buy.

Of those 40, 20 have deposits, 20 cannot afford to save a deposit (due to high rents etc).

Currently 20 people are chasing 10 houses, 10 people will always be outbid. If a scheme like HTB helps the other 20 to raise a deposit, now we have a situation where 40 people are chasing the same 10 houses, so 30 people will always be outbid.

Prices will actually go higher because we now have extra buyers, so ultimately all we have done is use government money to push house prices even higher. Anyone supporting HTB or similar schemes is a fool. More supply is the only solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

Yes, supply is an issue, you are arguing a point that nobody would contest. The point is there are multiple issues, not solely the issue of supply.

It should not be controversial or contentious to say there is a point where a population's (in)ability to save a deposit becomes an issue. I don't understand the desire to speak about supply only. It is possible for multiple things to be broken at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Slightly off topic but the One Stop Shop (OSS) intitiave from SEAI for renovating homes has done nothing but hike up renovation prices significantly as the providers just see it as a price gouge opportunity on homeowners.

Years ago - although i am not really sure why you're asking and I have no interest in revealing further info about my personal circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,218 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is an issue. But help to buy itself is part of the reason things are broken \ it further breaks things.

It is not a solution. It is treating a symptom and it has side effects on the 'disease'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Indeed. I ended up not bothering getting a grant for some work I had done earlier in the year, even though was eligible. The prices I was quoted from SEAI approved contractors was generally more than from the non-approved contractors by, you’ve guessed it, the amount of the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

sheesh, your personal circumstances, you already said you were both on decent money with an 18 month old, how much more personal are you gonna get

if you are on good money and have been saving for say 10 years then you should already have a deposit

if you are in your 30s and have only started saving a few years, well that's your issue right there

The supply of housing is the only thing at play

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I'm always slightly amused on here when, in the middle of a bunch of people arguing the theory about supply and demand, someone points out the fact of actual supply, in the real world, going up and up and up - and no-one pays any attention and goes back to their theoretical arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

We were between lockdowns in Summer 2021 and you couldn't get a viewing unless you were sale agreed.

1yr later we're out of COVID. Supply is still shockingly low, but it's unsurprising that it's climbing slowly. Apparently a good chunk of sales are landlords selling up, which will be a blip of surplus.

• Advertisement

It boils down to this, I think - HTB has, IMO, helped people who deserved, and needed, that help. It has also led to an increase in prices, as you pointed out. No argument.

It's my opinion that the inability of a large percentage of 30 and 40 somethings to save a deposit is a significant issue that required urgent attention, and HTB allowed some people in this bracket to buy when they otherwise would not have been able to - for all kinds of reasons (rent, childcare, 3.5x limit etc.).

Was it perfect? No. Could it have been managed better? Of course. Is the fact that prices have risen since its introduction a slam dunk that it was 100% bad? I don't personally think so. Because, as people here keep pointing out, when demand outstrips supply the prices go up. Prices would have risen with or without HTB.

Nothing will get better without the supply vs demand adjusting, that much is clear. And I agree that HTB was treating a symptom rather than the cause. I just don't subscribe to the notion that symptoms should never be treated.

not really, the number of houses on the market is tiny still

this fluctuates seasonally

if one person puts a house on the market and stays in the market, they need somewhere to move to, zero extra capacity

if the population outstrips the number of new builds, which is does, you have less supply

its like throwing more petrol on a fire, it caused prices to rise higher and faster

its like taking money out the economy with a saving scheme to dump it all out at the same time

its like upping stamp duty to massive numbers to try and cool things and then switching to a reckless government who start spending the windfall to try and win elections

I volunteered that info (a mistake, in hindsight!), it wasn't in response to some randomer asking me directly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

HTB has been here for 5 years at this stage and people still don't get the prices rising as a result of it was the whole point. It wasn't some unintended side effect.

The scheme was designed to fix the deposit problem for buyers, to increase demand, to increase prices, to improve developer profits which was hoped would see improved output in the housing sector (i.e. more supply).

HTB definitely made prices rise faster initially, but IMO we are long past the point where HTB is the driving factor in any price rises, and it is incredibly unlikely that prices would not have reached today's levels anyway had it never existed.

As we all know, housing is a zero-sum game, so we can only imagine the state the Irish rental market would currently be in if there were no steps taken to resolve the deposit problem. Rents would almost certainly be even higher than they are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I'd say my quotes were a lot more through SEAI OSS providers than just the grant amount. I got 2 quotes for external wrap insulation while I was waiting on OSS to come back. Bother were between 15-18k. OSS provider kindly quoted me 31k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

More than 50% increase, which is a lot really, but coming from a very low base.

Can move the topic from HTB and all that jazz, to the actual softening of the housing market?

17,594 properties* for sale on daft.ie

Should be over the 18,000 mark by August if recent increases continue.

*Properties also include sites

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

What would supply normally be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Those figures are the landlords legging it from the punitive nature of renting. Its actually covering up the lack of supply. If its a rental or a house for sale , someone can live in it and the problem is probably more acute than before. People need to look at both figures for the real amount of property available

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Its also LLs aging and retiring out. Fewer younger LLS getting into it. The transfer seems to be into institutions and owner occupiers.

But as others have said it still all supply and demand driving this.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

SEAI works for things like gas where you have to have a registering installer, for insulation Fuhgeddaboudit.

Sure what difference does it make to some randomer, you are totally anonymous

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

I made a dashboard which tracks Dublin, and mainly areas in south Dublin where I am looking. Only tracks houses. But the amount of listing is definitly trending up.

also some commuter towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭wassie

Yes - but nothing makes a great twitter headline like "house prices now crashing".

Looking at it in historical context prices went completely bonkers since the pandemic, and Sydney, Melbourne & Auckland in particular needed to fall by roughly 30% simply to return to pre-covid levels. Not saying they aren't over valued either, just that the high prices were never sustainable.

Also when comparing to the Irish market its worth noting new mortage holders there are more susceptable to interest raterises as they are more leveraged, compred to here where we have LTIs of 3.5x

In Auckland over 50% of new mortgages had an LTI of over 6x, while in Aus it is just under 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The bottom hasn't been reached yet. Prices can go down quicker than they go up.

Even if house prices are not directly impacted in Ireland, the dropping of prices in the US, Canada, NZ will impact us indirectly because people will choose to move to lower cost of living than here.

• Advertisement

would you stretch the graph out across say 5 years? might make some sense then

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement