Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

you normally plant your non kicking foot.

if for whatever reason your non kicking foot is somehow strangely out of control the kicker should still be able to retain some bodily autonomy to not make a kicking action to a persons face. the movement of the left foot …I just don’t get, it seems guided.

paul Flynn’s view is totally acceptable. Whether it was deliberate or now and Flynn stopped short of saying it was deliberate; comerford still got a kick to the mush.

If you’re triggered it by Paul Flynn’s opinion I think you’re easily triggered and would do well to ask yourself if you got a kick to the face in this instance would you believe it was a total accident.

I should add I strongly believe Stephen hunt knew exactly what he was doing to Petr Cech 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

What's normally got to do with it? That's not what happened here. Surely you've seen it happen plenty of times where the planted foot also leaves the ground?

"kicking action" - every time anyone moves there foot forward could be construed as a kicking action. If there wasn't a head in the way of his foot this time, it would have been seen as it was - the natural laws of physics. Why would you think he had the ability in 0.2 seconds to guide his foot like that, when his now standing foot was getting clobbered and he had zero balance. Also his attention was on the football.

And "triggered"? Hah! Because I used the word "sh!te"? I think McConville might have used stronger terms when Flynn last came out with some nonsense re Dublin.

Firstly I didn’t mean you were triggered. buyer95’s was who I honestly meant. I used that term because it came across as that poster basically felt Paul Flynn hadnt the right to think what he said. Which, to me, is shite. We should be allowed to believe what we want.

in terms of physics and all that…well you believe what you believe, (based on the video I posted, I had no opinion before that) I believe what I believe, Paul Flynn believes what he believes and oisin believes what he believes.

oisin also believes the final is a 50/50 game. He’s entitled to that belief as strange as I find it.

honestly find it strange that even at reasonable but not full speed, people believe an athlete of the oshea’s quality would have a completely out of control left leg that’s the player has lost all power over it. Can’t remember that ever happening to me.

the lad knew what he was doing. He was thick after the play acting and missing the penalty. He should have got a red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Don't feed the trolls is an old adage here on boards and other forums. Rarely was it more apt.

firstly if you don’t want to feed the trolls then it’s best off not actually quoting their posts. the idea is to not engage with them at all

Anyway, There is no trolling, it’s a difference of opinion. Paul Flynn and I is allowed to believe that O’Shea had more power over his limbs than what you and Oisin believe he has. I’m also allowed to believe that Kerry got a few kinder decisions off the ref over the course of the game.

its a pity Ken is off as no doubt he’d a being less mealy mouthed about it than Flynn was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Is Ken off on holidays, or is there something more sinister to it, like that time you said Mark Horgan was off because there was something dodgy going on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As a Dublin fan I'm more annoyed about the extremely soft free at the end that O'Shea slotted over to win the match.

I don't think the kick to the face was a red card but I do think it should have been a yellow card for reckless play.

Either way I think Kerry were slightly the better team and deserved the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Maybe Ken is off dealing with his divorce. 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Rumours has it he is back in France wrestling pigs….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Hope he has a nice relaxing Orangina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Is Ken getting a divorce or am I missing a joke somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Somebody a while back here suggested Ken was getting a divorce out of nowhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

And Mark Horgan had a serious disease. The trolling or idiots are few on this megathread, but they're usually ignored rather than actual constructive criticism posts, hopefully it stays that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I dunno what to make of Jamie Wall. He's very enthusiastic and has a good knowledge but he just seems to try too hard. If he calmed down a small bit, he'd come across a lot better

Pat Donnellan is pretty good as well although I wish they had Malerky Clerkin back on at some stage

that Flynn was out of order in what he said is wrong and unfair. People ganging up on a guy who actually said something legitimate is bad form.

More proof here. As one of my posts said, when you hit a ball with your right you plant your left. This is what O’Shea did. We are supposed to believe the subsequent to this impact on the ball, that O’Shea goes from control of his planted left foot to completely losing control of it. That it becomes totally uncontrollable and ends up in this out of control phase to go towards comerfords face and make impact with O’Shea powerless to stop it.

it doesn’t make sense, if you have muscle memory from kicking a ball you should already know this. If you don’t, then try kicking a ball while accelerating towards it, plant your weaker foot and see if you lose all control of the weaker foot subsequent to planting it and hitting the ball. You won’t.

I know people want to portray dub players as the bad guys but do it to a point, the point where you demonise a GAA legend like Flynn for a perfectly legitimate call is bad form.

• Advertisement

I think flynn is super, an absolute asset to the show and im not a huge follower of GAA

but there times he should be dragged away from the mic for his own good

Ok, make your argument why assuming you think he should have been dragged away in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

You will certainly lose control of your standing foot if the ball you kick at full force, and so also the foot you kicked it with, is immediately blocked.

I don’t see how. Your foot would be planted, why would you suddenly lose all control of it?

But when some people hit the ball with full force. They actually allow both of their feet to leave the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Completely agree,

hes a good analyst but should be kept well away from Dublin matches, it was cringe listening to him again with the "if a dublin player done it, the poor dubs, what about that other foul, and that other free etc etc" rhetoric.

You could almost subconsciously hear the sighs from the rest of the lads when he started on his whataboutery tirade again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It might be time to move on from the subject, considering that there's no consensus on the basic mechanics of what happens when you kick a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The O'Shea kick was a sneaky dirty strike and anyone who says otherwise has either never kicked a ball or is anti dub. (which is fine)

Should have been at least a yellow.

I didn't think the free at the end was that soft so I've no issue with that.

To say Flynn was embarrassing for brining something up which is at least debateable is nonsense.

"anyone who says otherwise has either never kicked a ball or is anti dub. "

A massively sweeping statement. What evidence have you?

Boards is a place for opinion, I do not need to provide evidence! But if you are looking for some, read the previous posts and watch the footage again.

So you have none? Don't view incidents or, more specifically, post match analysis through the prism of who you support. At least try to engage in some impartiality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Only in the GAA can you kick a goalkeeper in the face and have people making excuses for you. 🙄

Scrap the cap!

yeah, the way I would see it aswell. It’s such an un-hot (tepid?) take to see it was a deliberate action once you see the footage and pictures around it. There’s a subtext aswell with the perception of Dublin that’s at play.

I'm actually kind of surprised that some amateur hasn't taken a sporting body to court in the EU over an injury from an incident like this.

I suppose it would be very hard to prove but i fully expect in the future the law to rule that sporting organisations recognise the implicit danger of their sports and as a result prioritise players duty of care to each other. Rugby and nfl are toying with it at the moment but that will spread to other sports.

The question will be did the player do everything to mitigate injury to the opponent not did he intend to hit him.

I'd listen to Lawrence Donegan all day. He's very refreshingly honest compared to the zombies on Sky Sports

Totally agree. I don't watch golf aside from Ryder cups and I still enjoyed his slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

The hurling coverage is excellent. I'm not a hurling man but I love Jamie. He is always well prepared and 90% of his simpsons /man utd similes are very good. That'll do me. Pat Donnellan is an excellent addition. I'd imagine its hard to get Malachy.

Call me biased but there was a lot of criticism of Kerry on today's episode (most of it was warranted to be fair) but there didn't seem to be anything negative aimed towards Galway which I found a bit odd.

They really struggled in the first 25 minutes against an awful Derry team and were hopeless against Armagh under the high ball, would have thought some of that stuf would have been mentioned

Yeah he was excellent yesterday to be fair, when I compare him to the Sunday Game panel, he's a lot more entertaining

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Lawrence Donnigan is a cracking guest. Such an interesting guy (see previous posts).

GAA isn't really my bag but Murph really got a hold of today's episode and I loved listening to him talking about Padraig Joyce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, the stories about Padraic Joyce were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Jeez, couldn't disagree more on the Simpson's references - they're horrendous. So forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Was there something cut from the discussion on the diversity of the English women’s team? The contributor suggested that there should always be “three or four” non-white players in squads, whereas the issue was initially raised because having only three non-white players in the squad wasn’t enough. Hard to follow.

Turned off the book review half way through, nothing against Richie but just found it quite dull

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought Murph was serious about being on Up For The Match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

Loved the Norwegian guy's analogy of Man City and Grand Designs. Nailed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really enjoyed the book review show today - maybe the first time I have to be honest! I saw some complaints about it being Ritchie, but using a suitable known quantity works a lot better I think. Trying to shoe-horn some other guest's own story in with rough connections to a book just falls between two stools as an idea. Ritchie was the perfect go-between to properly talk about the book, while still having a few bits of personal insight to throw in. This show was primarily about the book, rather than him. He was also ideal having already done a great interview with Kimmage, so had a sense of the fella. Think they nailed this decision to be honest (Doddles would've been another great option, though of course would've drawn the same complaint).

I remember the show they did about the Miracle of Castel Del Sangro - loved the book and was looking forward to that show so much. And instead it was effectively just an interview with some rugby lad who lives in Italy who I couldn't've cared less about... they touched on the book a little bit, but only barely, and only to give another jumping off point for yer man to chat about his own life.

So of the two styles, for me, todays one is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Felt the exact same about that episode. I was so thrilled when they picked that book and then proceeded to not cover the book.

Advertisement