Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wife and her male colleague

Comments

OP, the replies you get here will vary from “you’re a paranoid control freak and your wife should leave you” to “go out and lash the hole off one of her female friends “

the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Ignore the poster above. Maybe he's alright with blokes calling his OH at 4am for.......

Your Wife talked about this guy at the start and was very excited when doing so. When asked about this, she became aggressive. If she becomes aggressive when challenged and is in the wrong, you already have your answer from 5 years ago.

All you have are bits and pieces which you can't pin down, as they each can be separately explained away. There are quite a few of these red flags though. Either you ask about these things or you prime a PI in advance of the next work do.

You can't live like this, so get to the truth and if it turns out she is in the clear, then you need to get help. If your suspicions are correct, then you have hard decisions to make.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rebel81

Thanks for your reply.

I tend to agree with you. Some have said she has been having an affair for 5 years. Impossible I would say and highly unlikely.

The biggest thing for me is the sex part. It's so so lonely. I'm only 38, not over the hill. I can perform, I show her affection, she orgasms. But hey, what the heck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭jackboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭notAMember

Why would he do that? That would be a bit of a short conversation? The opportunity to ask him straight up is right there.

You’ve worked yourself up a bit about this, loads going around in your own head. Imagining all sorts of things that may or may not be happening but (somewhat pigheadedly) refusing to talk to the guy.

It’s always good to talk.

Post edited by notAMember on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Have you ever actually discussed the sex situation with your wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

Which is why I wonder why you're so intent on saving the marriage when intimacy happens so infrequently. The thoughts of a near sexless marriage for decades to come is not appealing - been there and got out!

Plenty of times. It's not me, it's her she says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

That's such a cop out. Has she ever actually put any effort into addressing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Too many red flags OP, I've been there, this brought back a lot of bad memories.

How long after the event did you check her phone? I went through something very similar, also regarding events in the next city over, and she then started clearing logs and messages straight away so there was no trace. A six second call really triggers me, too short to leave a message to stop contacting, but just long enough to say where they are. And the fact that he hasn't come up in conversation in a few years is also more than concerning. But it could also be innocent, although her next day behaviour resonates with me, as my partner did similar things.

I feel for you OP, no matter what way you bring this up, it will be twisted, thrown back at you and you will be the person in the wrong. You will just get gaslighted and you will be the bad the one.

Maybe approach it another way and see if she would be up for couples counselling? This would be a good, and neutral, place to bring up these issues (don't dive straight into it at the start), it sounds like this is only part of the problems that you are having. It does help to get through issues, tackle them and to see if the relationship is worth saving. It is better than lying in bed every night playing all these scenarios through your head. I've been there, and it's not good for your mental well being.

I'd I'm honest no she hasn't. She knows how attractive I find her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

@Rebel81 Just let it go, you don’t have a smoking gun here, just a lot of suspicions and that can destroy a relationship. Forget about it or it will drive you nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

From the OP: On meeting the guy, he spent his time telling him what a lucky guy he was over and over. Any male with an attractive partner is familiar with scuzzbags like that. He's just stopping short of saying "I want to f*ck your wife, try and stop me". And the wife going cloak and dagger about him to boot.

These aren't suspicions, they are air raid sirens. The man deserves to know the truth, so he knows how to deal with it with full-knowledge of the facts instead of drip-fed truths and gaslighting that suits her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Exactly, I think I remember OP saying the bloke made a point of repeating how lucky he was several times over. After the first couple of times hes not just saying it, he's challenging him in my opinion. I feel for you OP but whatever you do don't let her pin any blame on you, should your worst fears be realized. She's the one committing emotional abuse in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭jackboy

You need to be careful so, don’t want to mess up their lives. You should head out on her next work function. Stay sober and you may get a better feeling of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Tork

Yeah, because telling a colleague's spouse how lucky they are is a normal conversation to have...

Of course I don't and I won't. I love my kids and...my wife.

I'll add a but more detail if that makes any difference. The first time I met him, funnily enough was at the same hotel I already spoke about for a different retirement function. This is the same night he told me how lucky I was.

But prior to going in, I smoked a cigarette outside. While outside some guy walked across the street, he had left the hotel let's say at 9.30 pm. To say he stared at me and continued to stare back at me as he was walking the other way is an understatement. He circled back and went back into the hotel.

When I got in, I sat with my now wife and was introduced to one of her colleagues. Low and behold this was the guy who was staring at me outside. He was forward and said he knew my face outside from seeing me on my wife's profile pic on Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Christ that is some level of paranoia. How and why would anybody MARRY somebody they are that suspicious and resentful of? I could not take the stress of thinking so badly of somebody I'msupposedly in love with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You'd be a bit naive if you think no wife has ever cheated on her husband. You'd also be equally as naive if you thought that it would cross the mind of a woman who had done the dirt to think like that (I'm sure plenty of women reading this would agree that they know plenty of other women who would definitely be capable of that).

My post was only a remark on the OP's first post. Given the details he presented, I read between the lines as to why he thought they were relevant. He confirmed that the though had actually crossed his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Fair enough and yeh I know it happens but just seems pretty brutal to jump to that conlcusion , that she is that calculating and deceitful. My point was more so that if you immediately think your wife is capable of that, there is SURELY other majorly red flags that have popped up to make you now be so suspicious of her character, and if so, why would you even still love/be married to her or even want to salvage it if you think so little of her in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

OK - thanks for the additional info.

it now makes a lot more sense.

She obviously told him she felt threatened by you and he went back to the hotel to protect her.

are you a bully?

There is no other way to explain his protective instinct.

he seems to be a good guy - your wife is lucky to have him having her back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well 5 pages in..are you going to speak to your wife? If you think you need more evidence then how are you going to get it?

You mainly have anecdotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

How the mods haven't thread banned you yet is a mystery

_________

Mod edit

@raclle if you've a problem with a post or poster report it, either through flagging it or PMing the mods.

HS

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

• Advertisement

I'm not sure of you're serious. But since you commented I guess you are.

No I'm not a bully.far from it by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fell upon my sword

I had, a number of years ago, a female colleague I grew very close to. We talked a bit, then a bit more, then a bit more... We started to talk about our personal lives.

She was telling me how her husband didn't appreciate her, had not interest in her etc.

I was quite fond of her, and at some stage, the thought did cross my mind; if I ever meet her husband, I'll have to tell him what an idiot he is, that he doesn't know how lucky he is.

But I still had a bit of sense to know that this was totally crazy. I had been very good friend with female colleagues in the past, but never ever had this kind of thoughts.

This specific thought, together with other ones, made me realise that the situation was indeed an emotional affair, and that it was well on track to become more than that, as we had some kind of chemistry that was hard to explain.

So I decided to pull back from the relationship. It took a lot of strong will as I am in a sexless marriage (worse than yours OP, zero, nothing in ten years now), and as I was also losing the closest friend I ever had.

What I want to say is, it's impossible to say with absolute certainty what your wife did or did not do, but definitely, your gut instinct that something is off with this guy is undoubtedly absolutely correct. There is more than a simple friendship here, in his head at the very least. Keep an eye on this.

Thanks for your reply and you seem like a decent guy.

Thing is, this guy wanted to meet me to tell me this about 3 or 4 months into our relationship.

I also know he confided in my wife about his own relationship issues.

At this stage, I can't bring it up if there was indeed nothing going on. So confused.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

@Sorolla it's one thing playing devil's advocate to constructively offer the OP an alternative view. It's another thing to bait the OP, which is what it looks like you're doing. As you have no constructive advice to offer the OP, please do not post in this thread again.

HS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Reading the thread and one thing is for sure, this guy friend is an a**hole.

Starring at you? Saying you're a lucky man over and over again? That right there says he wants to bang her. You don't say that to a bloke. Like, maybe, once you might acknowledge the looks of someone's partner. But even then it would be only once in a non-i wanna bang her way and would be to someone you know. Not over and over to someone you barely know. Scumbag thing. That's also jealousy coming out.

That starring thing years ago suits the MO of an wa**er too. Looking at you, thinking what does she see in that knob etc. It's not good that your wife hid interactions with this man. Even if she knew you are cautious about him. His intentions are clear.

All I know is next work do you have to go. Even put it up to this bloke.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.

Never in my life has a man walked past me for about 45 seconds looking back at me, circled back and continued to stare. Then to be introduced to the work colleague who happens to be him.

My wife has numerous male colleagues, who call her daily or weekly whatever. These guys are nice, I've met them, I trust them and my gut doesn't scream at me. 5 years later, and this guy has now brought up all that anxiety and head f#@@ I went through back then.

I think i have to go. She is my wife. I can the rule out if anything ontoward is going on.

Don't forget this man is married with young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ElizaBennett

Just re the 5 year thing and OP's doubts that anything could be going on between them for that long: I think it's completely possible that they've had some sort of on again/ off again 'thing ' , even if just flirtation or emotional affair, during this time. Speaking from experience, when I was unhappily married I fell in love with a work colleague and, though we never even met outside of the confines of work, or ever slept together, we were entangled in whatever it was for years on end. I never mentioned his name at home. My feelings only ended when he finally said he had to choose his marriage and kids and we took the decision to make a complete break and just drop contact at work. But, by all means, these things can drag on and on for years. Maybe even more so when nothing physical has actually happened as the longing just keeps it going.

I know fine well there was and maybe is an emotional affair there.

She offered up a few years ago to cease contact with him, or to at least communicate for work purposes only, due to all the reasons mentioned in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's kinda like the 'look but you better not touch' thing, best viewed as part of the rich tapestry of life?

What was it that you two never met outside of work?

Are you happily married now or what became of the marriage?

Confront her or suggest she have a a girls night out somewhere 110 miles away and send someone to watch her.

she's cheating. Get a solicitor and get the hell away from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Something seems off. I'd go with your gut OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spontindeed

Consider hiring a private investigator and you will be able to find out what she's really up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yes perhaps.

We spoke last night to discuss our lack of sex.

Her line has always been that she doesn't find herself attractive which is sad. I tell her all the time how attractive she is, I also show her. Her line is still the same.

So if that's true, nothing will ever change as its been like this for about 6 years.

Then what does she intent to do about her self image? Or mad that the end of the conversation?

Seriously, how have you not cheated? No sex for years and no change in sight..why would you want to be in this relationship?

She has started going to the gym and eating healthy. There has been plenty of nights she said where she wanted to get intimate but didn't!!

So she never initiates anything sexual during the day, and if I did, she would laugh and say don't be so filthy.

Well there has been sex but just note regular sex. I ask myself the same question. I cheated in a previous relationship and it doesn't solve anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Saying that she “doesn’t find herself attractive” is another red flag I’m afraid.

This thread is going on a while now, have you still not talked with your wife direct yet?

She has always said this though. But when she is out, she looks amazing and doesn't act unattractive. And guys have paid her compliments when we go out!

I haven't spoken about the male colleague no. I'm afraid to at this point, very little evidence, and an invasion of your privacy by looking at her phone. All I looked at was her call log as my gut was screaming at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Sorry OP, I have been following the thread but I can’t remember if you have kids or not. I assume you do and that is the only reason you are staying in a sexless marriage with a selfish person.

I don’t think your wife should consider you jealous if there is nothing going on just because you ask about this other guy - it would be different if you were constantly asking about all the guys she hangs out with but you don’t. So go for it.

2 kids yes. And yes, if we didn't have kids, I don't think I'd be here at this stage.

I never ask about her male colleagues, ever. So yes, you're right, asking now would not make me come across as jealous. I'm full sure she will get angry.

I don’t know what exactly you want to ask her. You know she’ll deny it anyway, even if something was going on.

The only thing that doesn’t add up for sure if the hotel cost so I’d use that as a conversation starter. What you really want to know is who she shared the hotel room with and why she lied to you. Once you have this conversation going she will be on unstable ground and you are more likely to catch her out. If she tells you she shared with a female colleague just tell her that you heard differently and watch her reaction. Most liars will crumble under pressure, particularly if they can’t be sure what you know for sure.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your input but I've ruled that out. Many posters have commented that there were indeed hotels at that rate in June and there were group discounts for events held in hotels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement