Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My experience of French campsites is Le Littoral and Le Pin Parasol. Le Littoral was better - better shop/ bakery; better bar/ restaurant, but wouldn't keep teens entertained. But we did Le Pin just out of season, so maybe it's an unfair comparison and maybe Le Littoral is just so good. I really don't know, tell you next year when we've three to compare!

We were into Cherbourg, and later arriving. I'd just keep an eye on the signs for the service stations that have the facilities (the bigger ones have more "things" on the signs).

I think the driving on the right is a bigger thing in peoples heads than in practice to be honest, so I wouldn't build it up too much. I will say that I did have experience driving left hand drive campers in Ireland before hand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Baybay

My daughter worked the summers after LC & first year in college for a well known camping holiday firm. The staff whether they were kids club, reception or maintenance were always delighted to receive items from departing guests. Most are young people, many away from home for the first time, some working at sites not too close to supermarkets & having bicycles sometimes as their only form of transport. Of course, it also helped their pockets!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I did it myself with Campotel, St. Jean De Monts area, Many Moons ago. There would always be oil, sugar, tea, coffee, loo rolls, red sauce, bin bags etc and quite often a 6 pack 😁 It's a fantastic job - when you have youth on your side. If there are several campsites in the vacinity, you can have a real good craic with the other couriers. I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

€7.81 for breakfast on the Brittany Ferries Amorique on the way back. By the time we'd added in drinks it came to €53 for a group of five. Great value and sets you up for the long drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

1.999 for 95.

2.13 for 98 at Pontorson outside Mont Saint Michel today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

I'd suggest driving for a few minutes to Carantec for fresh baguettes, pain au chocolate and croissants. Boulangerie-Patisserie Demais Patrick, 8 Place de la Liberation opens at 7am on Sundays. http://www.boulangerie-patisserie-demais.fr/ Then drive down to the nearby beach to eat. Great start to your French stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Much prefer to just hit the road and grab a McDonalds further down the road.

Driving on the right is not as daunting as it sounds. You adjust very quickly. Only places I've had issues is coming out of a car park in a supermarket. You're more likely to have an incident one or two days after you get home.

As others have mentioned, your co pilot has a role to play. If you're nervous, I'd actually suggest that you stay in the line of traffic as you get of the boat - never mind a slight detour for breakfast. That way you'll be in a line if Irish cars for about 45 mins which helps you adjust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Anyone get European Breakdown recovery this year? Went with AA last time around I think - around 140 for 3 weeks.

Never needed it, thank God, but will probably look into it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Meant to reply earlier. That's strange. On the 25th of May we got our car serviced and included as an item in the servicing list was the same as every other year, Code RA, Skoda Roadside Assistance, valid for 1 year with ROI and outside ROI numbers. The Service Manager specifically mentioned that it covers Europe since they know we head of for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Can anyone recommend any good off licences/wine depots on the route into Cherbourg from Caen direction?

Have always heard about these places, and would love to stop in for a few cases of decent value wine if it's still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm just back from two weeks in Hippocampe and then a week in Les Charmettes. I'm sure we must have rubbed shoulders at the bar in La Sirene!

Hippocampe was filled with Irish outnumbering the French and Spanish completely with no British or Dutch that I saw until the very start of July. On the road which I was on (of 13 mobiles) 8 were Irish and one French on the week of the 23rd June.

I was pretty blown away with the level of night-time entertainment in La Sirene - very professionally run. Caught the end of "Feel Collins" (I'm a closet Phil Collins fan 😂) and it was very well assembled and appeared to have the place pumping.

We cycled around a lot - we brought two bikes and hired others. We found that the restaurants in Saint-Cyprien Plage, Argelès Plage and Argelès Port are seemingly all very good, you'd be reasonably hard-pressed to find a bad one.

Drove down to Barcelona early one day - great city to hit but I think I entered the periphery of the LEZ while looking for parking. Dunno what the outcome of that will be.

I popped into WBS in Roscoff on Friday evening and "topped-up". I wasn't sure what to expect. Though they didn't appear to do tastings (and I had no time for one), the selection and level of stock was impressive and I got what I think was a good selection of wine at good prices. I even got some Calvados to try out. They have a shop in Cherbourg too, just a bit off the N13 route as you hit the town. I'd recommend it now for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

How was Charmettes? Thinking of heading back there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Wine and Beer Supermarket

It’s just off the roundabout for the ring road around Cherbourg. There’s an Auchan across the road that can be good for cured meats, cheeses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

We're thinking of a change of pace next year, Its obviously early days yet, but has anyone ever stayed at 'camping las dunas' in spain?

Its enticing to me, as its on 20 mins from girona airport, which means I could fly there easily from cork or shannon, also within an hour of barcelona if a city jaunt was fancied.

https://www.campinglasdunas.com/en/

Ah yeah - a great site if you have younger kids, in my opinion. Beyond about ~12 years it still can be enjoyed, but there are better options.

Generally speaking, the on-site facilities are great and the beaches are only 20mins away on a bike (over very flat terrain). I'm not a fan of the layout of the newer section - maybe due to the lack of mature hedging and the linear layout - I'd try to stay in the older part if possible, but that's from talking with zero experience of staying there.

Pools are well supervised and they don't have a budgie-smugglers-only rule, the kids-club is seemingly well run.

Negatives about the locations are that the roads around Les Mathes are (intentionally?) in an appalling state since the 90's and every trip to a supermarket takes 20 mins drive-time over said potholes. But nevermind that - the beaches in the opposite direction are just divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

I'm a little bit dreading the high Temps forecasted next week. We are staying in Mobile home without a/c - any tips?

Leave all of the internal doors open. Open the windows as much as you can, etc.

If it gets really bad, you could try spraying the outside walls and roof of the mobile with a mist of water and repeating that a few times. The drying effect of the water evaporating will drop the internal temps (but you look like an oddball ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

As per the above plus we have found this week drawing the curtains whilst leaving the windows and doors open helps as does leaving all the internal doors open through out the mobile even at night. Don't forget the car. Buy one of those reflective windscreen covers and crack the windows slightly.

26° as I type and lovely clear blues skies around and I'm just about to open an ice cold bottle of locally made cider.

C'est la vie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Bring a fan and those blue cool bag blocks.

put frozen blocks in front of fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

The fan is 90% of the effect here, so I'd make sure you have multiple fans for the family. Doesn't have to be a big f-o fan, multiple small USB ones will meet the family needs better with fewer arguments about where to point it. Anything that will create a breeze across your face will give you the relief you need. I work in the summer in an apartment where there is aircon in one room and a fan in another. I prefer working in the room with the fan, even when the inside and outside temps get to mid/high 30s.

Super tips thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Remember being in an apartment in Nice with no a/c during a 40+ heatwave. There was a 24 hour shop nearby, and on way home every evening we’d buy 3 bags of ice and dump them into the sink, with a fan beside the sink to circulate the air. Worked a treat and the ice made a huge difference compared to the fan on its own our first night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We're in Les Menhirs at the moment and the mobile home comes with two plug-in fans. As others have said, leaving all the windows open, drawing the curtains and having the fans run makes a huge difference. Temperatures are much more bearable at night time though and we've had no trouble sleeping.

We were in La Garangeoire for the last two weeks until Sunday so I dread to think what it's like there now. At least in Carnac there's some relief down at the beach where it feels a good bit more pleasant and cooler with the sea breezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

We’re in Le Pin Parasol at the moment, it’s very warm but not unbearable, although staying in the shade a good bit! Had no problem getting shade at pools if needed. We’re in Yelloh accommodation, lovely and on a nice mainly shaded site but no aircon or fan, we just leave windows open all time we’re there and at night, close curtains/blinds - slept fine since we got here on Sunday, not looking forward to very hot weather forecast for weekend though, in a different league, hopefully will be back to less hot then next week .

We are arriving in Le Pin Parasol next week. Thanks for reply!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm currently queuing for the ferry in Cherbourg and my car says it is 32.5°!

However, that's a tad cooler than what we had during our stay in the Cevennes!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Will be staying in Clary's plage on Sunday 17th, any one know if they will be showing all Ireland final or where to watch in the area??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Cooking outdoors on a bbq also reduces the heat being put into a building

If you don't have a bbq look to rent one onsite, (or bring one) or buy a cheap charcoal one over there and use your own bbq utensils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Woyld be surprised if it's not being shown in the bar on site.

Advertisement