Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House gone sale agreed, highest bidder not alerted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

Pick up the phone and call if they don't answer leave a voicemail, even though the estate agent says send emails, i would follow up with email detailing your offer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

I was highest bidder on a house needing renovation in a town a good while ago

Auctioneer never got back to me, I went 1k over asking (thats about what I felt it was worth to me), auctioneer said I'd need to be going 10k over to even be entertained......it sold 1k less than my bid according to price register (maybe money changed hands under counter too for all I know)....

The property was sold to member of he family......they were only going through the process to put a fairish price on it....an outsider would only be entertained on that one if they went way over the odds I'd say

I never like going way over the market on anything unless there's another benefit/gain for me

Some properties require too much effort and investment of time and money relative to their market value due to individual circumstance....so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Fuk the estate agent ,get straight on to vendor ,cut out estate agent completely if he is fukacting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Drop a letter in the door of the house for the vendor, explaining what the situation is and explaining you would be willing to bid higher.

It might be the vendors decision to go with someone else, or EA may not have passed bid on for whatever reason.

There is no harm is dropping letter in though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

In return for getting 1000 Euro from some fella upping his bids by 1000 Euro a go, you might end up with a lifetime of hassle from a blow-in. The seller might still be in the area or have family beside it. If you were in that position, you might be inclined to take the risk you know rather than the unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Ficus Jam

I don't know where the vendor lives. They're somewhere near Dublin, and this was their holiday home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Fwiw, if I was the vendor, I wouldn’t deal with anyone who tried to contact me directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

When buying in a sellers market you are selling yourself as a hassle free person to deal with. Not everyone needs / wants just the higher bidder. How they approach the bid and how the seller / agent thinks they will complete the deal matters too.

I was an unfortunate buyer who took just the highest bid many years ago on a holiday home and I regretted it very quickly. It took 5 months to complete and the feckers even wanted a "water test" on a stream the rang alongside - to confirm it did not contain sewage (this was in a very scenic spot miles form any potential water issue. It was a delay tactic as they came up with another petty request the next week and another the week after.

Looking back they were too eager and kept trumping the other person by 1k.

I've bought/sold a few times since and will do a little research on the buyer before coming up with my own preferred buyer. Likewise, when buying I will make sure I come across as someone who will not delay for petty reasons and provide my solicitor details for the agent / seller to do an off the record check via their solicitor that confirms I do not delay or cause grief. (and I got an absolute bargain a couple of years ago using that with a receiver of a holiday home - he wanted a close within 3 weeks)

So my guess is you did not come across as someone they wanted to deal with and that lost the deal. Remember that the seller is also paying Capital Gains tax of 33%, so your €1,000 increase was only worth €650 (assuming 2% commission)

I bought a rental a few years back ,the estate agent was fobbing me off form the start and it was on market under the value and did not even want to show me the house .Finally got a viewing and at the viewing my counter bidder was also viewing and was great pals with the estate agent sort gave the game away .I bid the house up 25k in 1 k bids and it was still value goes to show what stunts they pull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Even if the estate agent hadn't passed on the bid to you?

Would you not want to know they aren't doing the job you are paying for.

Fair enough if the bids were passed on but given op is cash buyer with no chain it does seem strange that they wouldn't accept their highest bid or even just tell ea they need to raise bid by more than 1k.

There appears to be a lack of communication in either the ea communicating bids to vendor or communicating back to op, either way if I was vendor I would want to know that the ea who I am paying isn't doing their job.

24 hours after emailing the agent last evening to ask what was going on, still zero communication, haven't heard from her all day. At least she had updated the daft listing promptly, so I know it's definitely off the market.

Will have to wait until late this year to know how much the winning bidder offered.

I'm gobsmacked by her abysmal communication. As a vendor, I'd be unimpressed if I'm paying an agent to do her job, and she's simply ignoring 'low' 1k bids rather than putting in a few minutes of effort to get a higher bid out of them. I'd also be unimpressed as a vendor if I list with an agent whose communication skills are so poor that she's alienated potential buyers from even bothering with her properties.

If you are still very interested and are willing to go another 5/10k simply find out the owner .Presuming some local does maintenance /garden work/neighbour would have contacf details and find out the story at least.This looks a bit fishy so you will never know otherwise ,a few hours being nosey might be what it takes ,there is nothing ever handed to anyone on the plate!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think you are being shafted.

If call aren't convent and emails aren't checked, that convent for them! Send them an email but also send a whatsapp message so you know it was read and they know you know. 

1K increments are asking to be out bid. Always work out what its worth to you, make your opening offer strong and if you have to go up go up by 5K. If you go up by 1k it's 2k jump for the next person down to out bid you.

When we bought our house I tried the "if we offer 320K will the house be taken off the market today". EA said no they had a viewing booked and would honor it. I can't see an good EA been pressured into accepting an offer like that. If somebody wants the house they will not walk away.  If I was to do it again I'd say what offer would it take to close today, what's the buy now price.

If I was you I would ring the EA or their office and ask to speak to the business owner. It may be that it was sold to somebody know to the owners family...

Give the EA a chance to explain if they don't get back to you a google review would be a nuclear option but it would have your name attached to it.

I like the WhatsApp idea. I emailed them again this morning, asking (yet again) for information on the status of the property. Willing to give 24 hours for a response, but if still nothing, I'll send a msg through WhatsApp.

If the circumstances are that the vendors preferred to sell to someone they knew/someone with red hair/someone who likes dark chocolate/whatever, that's fine - it's their house. I simply want to know why my bid was ignored, and why I wasn't allowed into the process to continue to bid (or whether my bids were ever even passed onto the vendors).

My 1k bids were based on the current bid (e.g. 151k, or 126k or 201k, etc) being an obvious outbid of 1k, so I matched it with a 1k outbid. My first bid was then outbid by a 1k bid, which I outbid by a further 1k. Not sure why the agent apparently didn't like my 1k bids, but was okay with another bidder's 1k bids. I will change this tactic going forward, to something both more substantial and variable.

But regardless of the bid amount, you'd assume the agent would want to log all incoming bids. Why else would you employ an agent if they can't monitor and track incoming bids? If a bid is too paltry to pass along, a quick email 'the vendors aren't entertaining bids of less than 5k increments' would do it.

This agent's behaviour is so bizarre I still don't know what to make of it. She appears to be behaving completely counter-productively, so clearly I'm missing some piece of the puzzle.

I wouldn't give it 24 hours I'd call them now. Waiting for emails what got you where you are. Call them give them no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I've read about families writing a letter to the seller, saying their reasons for purchasing, such as raising a family, connections to the area etc, many people are concerned about their property going to someone they feel is the most deserving, some do it with rental properties, not necessarily the person that pays the most, but the person they feel is in a situation that deserves it.

Contrary to what some people on here claim, not all property owners are concerned only about the mighty buck. There are other things that help them sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

That property is earmarked for someone else...could be with the knowledge of the vendor or could be without...........that's the only piece of the puzzle you are missing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

OP - you are making a lot of assumptions - remember the EA works for the Vendor and as such has no obligation to you at all. By all means send a letter to the vendor but I'm not sure what you expect to achieve.

Interestingly - just over 10 years ago when I was buying we were the only bidder for 4 months - the type of property were were buying just had no market at the time - post 2009 collapse. So for 4 months our offer just was kept in limbo - not accepted but no other bidder. I called up one Thursday evening to enquire about the status of the offer and when the EA called me back the following morning she said a 'cash buyer has just gone sale agreed (5k up on our offer) and full payment will be in bank account on Monday'

I was really annoyed and in the pub that night I mentioned it to some one who put me straight - the new bidder was a buddy of the EA and we were just pawns to set the absolute lowest price the vendors would settle for. So my wife knocked on the door on the Saturday morning and explained the situation to the vendor. The vendor had no knowledge of a second bidder or offer - let alone a sale agreed. They called the EA on the Monday morning to tell them to accept our offer and not to consider any other offers. Getting the keys from EA was a very awkward affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kurooi

The moment someone loses your email, start emailing the whole agent inbox, and any person you interacted with.

And keep chasing and pushing if you care about the property. Call their reception make sure others know you bid up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Local areas, they want to sell to a local person.

I was bidding on a property in Laois, was highest bidder.

EA told me, the vendor simply wanted to establish the market value.

It was sold to his sister.

What a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

@Ficus Jam ...Good luck, hate to say it though. I have dual residency and consider myself Irish although I was raised in Australia. First thing I noticed when coming home over 4 years ago. Irish tend to be very selective and borderline racist against anyone even if they are white. More so in the smaller communities. I like you was a cash buyer with no chains etc etc. After having the 1st 3 properties I went sale agreed on fall through I came to the conclusion Irish EA's are completely useless and even worse than a used car salesman. The 4th property I viewed and ended up buying, I went to the viewing with EA, waited 30 mins til it concluded and the EA left. I then knocked on the door approached the owners are asked them what they needed to take the house off the market and sell it to me. Took no more than 10 mins to work out a deal, next day I called the EA and gave them the number of my solicitor and said they will take care of everything else. Also worked out with the owners they would vacate property within 5 weeks. To this the EA said not possible but she would do her best (LOL). I said great if it doesn't happen within 5 weeks explain to your client why you lost the sale. Long story short 4 weeks later I moved in.

After 4 years don't rely on the Irish to do anything within a time frame or a budget. They work to their own clock. Wait until you start renovating and try and get contractor's to turn up on time or complete a job, but I'll save that story for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

And you call Irish people borderline racist 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

I call it as I see it daily. Nothing racist about what I said, I cant help it if Irish people tend to be incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people on boards willing to defend the terrible behavior & outright gouging of estate agents that goes on.

It's no wonder the housing market is in the state its in when people are willing to turn a blind eye to the EA behavior that goes on, and the lack of transparency which they operate under.

OP, you have my sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I think a lot of stories are made up (not the op)

EAs are easy targets, just like politicians and petrol station owners.

People create stories based on hearsay and add their own angle.

If these stories were actually real, why don't people make complaint to the PRA?

Here's some that were prosecuted

I'd imagine it's because all but the thickest of agents are clever enough to cover their tracks. The lack of transparency in the process makes it difficult to detect when genuine wrongdoing has occurred, as opposed to a lack of information with a perfectly reasonable explanation.

The distinction between a lazy agent and a dishonest or dodgy agent is almost imperceptible from the buyer's end.

If you've done something dodgy, the best tactic is to obfuscate, avoid, ignore and distract. The PRSA requires something substantive to make a complaint. Fair enough. Knowing this, how might a dodgy agent avoid a complaint even being made, or if made, avoid it being sufficiently verified to progress to an investigation? I'm sure you can come up with a few ideas.

I would feel uncomfortable making a complaint without having undeniable evidence that wrongdoing has occurred. Whinging about a lack of email response is hardly justification for complaining to an industry body - as annoying as it may be.

If you take the time to look at those prosecutions in your link, you'll note that the majority of them in the past 5 years are comprised of a single estate agency. Perhaps that agency might be those thickest of agents not clever enough to cover their tracks.

I do agree with you, however, that estate agents are just like politicians. Astute observation.

Can't disagree with you there. Upside of boards is that it's easy to ignore those posts and focus on the insightful ones.

The agent did eventually respond to my WhatsApp message and is (supposedly) going to call me on Thursday to explain further. She's busy all week until tomorrow, business must be booming.

The house has gone sale agreed with another buyer, and the vendors aren't entertaining any further offers at this point. Interesting.

They are calling you so there is no paper trail, take notes and email them to her asking them to let you know if you've misunderstood any of the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

They could have got a cash offer, someone with no chain etc.

The highest bidder doesn’t always get the house

Advertisement