Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ Tour 2022 - Māori June 29th, NZ July 2nd, NZ July 9th, Māori July 12th, NZ July 16th, KO 8.05am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Nucifora was in the coaching box today. He must have been praying that O'Toole finished the game.

In hindsight Marty Moore would have really benefited from been on that tour. Face doesn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

He broke down in the warm-up, apparently. That's all I heard.

Who got homme du match?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nothing to do with his face... its pure logistics.

40 man squad was about 5 or 6 players too small to allow for 5 games in 3 weeks.

Niall Scannell doing 80 and TOT doing 76 mins today was testimony to that.

conan, murray, herring and hansen never came off the bench as they are needed on saturday... making what teh lads did today even all the more impressive.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i dont think they do this for these tour games

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Who would Moore have been swapped for in the touring party?

The squad was kept small-ish for a reason

The decision to travel with 40 was an attempt to replicate the conditions for a World Cup squad - which is actually probably not a bad idea in terms of preparation.

5 games in a few weeks with a tight squad does a good job of replicating that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭letsbefair

ULSTER HEAD COACH Dan McFarland insists he will always be led by the science when it comes to concussions after standing down tighthead prop Marty Moore for the remainder of the season due to multiple head injuries.

marty Moore is not available for selection, so stop having a go at the selectors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Bent only played 4 minutes today. They must be keeping him in reserve for Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Can Leinster please give Frawley game time at 10 next season - in the national interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Would love to see Coombes or timoney on the bench for the next test match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jimmy O'Brien had a solid game. He dealt well with fielding high punts and he kicked back very effectively. Also started off some solid counterattacks.

He won't ever make Ireland's strongest 23. But for a World Cup squad he'd be good to have around the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

It might be in the works already considering Harry Byrne is perpetually injured and Leinster have signed Ngatai in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

A quick look at the sponsors here will tell you a bit more I suspect... https://www.irishrugby.ie/irfu/

But I'm curious as to what you'd suggest? Irish Crystal has historically been a gift to give those from other countries. Hell the NZ commentary even saw the vase and twigged it (incorrectly) as Waterford Crystal. They knew it's a common gift to give

Would you prefer a bowl of shamrocks or a crate of Guinness?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm more hoping that the decision for Bealham to stand down was the management being super cautious with him.

The fact that O'Toole played almost the entire game kind of supports that (I hope) given that if they thought they would need him for Saturday they might have brought Bent on a lot earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just a thought, but after the failure of 2019 there was a review carried out, and the full details and recommendations were not revealed to the public.

I have a feeling that one of the issues was dealing with pressure, and a lot of players needed to feel what it’s like to deal with change and expectation of performance with matches coming in quick succession.

McCloskey, Scannell, Byrne, and Bent coming into the squad does replicate what happens at World Cups when injuries always happen.

Players being asked to play out of position and assume roles, such as Earls playing 13 and having to take charge of the back-line defence is one example. Frawley having to play out-half and take responsibility for the goal kicking is another example.

Treadwell playing a mid-week game and probably manning the bench 4 days later is another example.

Loughman and Sexton going through the protocols for concussion, Hansen and Bealham dealing with isolation for Covid.

This kind of pressure and experience in how to deal with these situations is good for the players and for the supporting staff too.

They might as well. They're more of a sort of development side now, aren't they. They don't really win the big games, despite having an overwhelming majority of the current XXIII for the number 2 ranked Test team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Anyone know were I can watch back the match

After last week you’re probably going to have Pom and doris starting again so Conan would be the obvious one. Think Coombes in particular could be have a huge impact for the last 20-15 min.

Although I wouldn’t be completely against dropping one of the starters from the 23 altogether in the name of squad depth building either.

Would also consider frawley on the bench (not realistically going to happen though). After today I’d be looking at a 23 for this weekend of:

Porter Sheehan furlong Beirne Ryan pom Doris vdf

jgp sexton Lowe Bundee Henshaw Hansen Keenan

Heffernan Healy Bealham treadwell Coombes Murray Carbery/frawley Larmour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

No I was thinking of something more unique, with meaning and context. Something that gives the impression that we actually thought about it for more than two minutes, like the gift they gave to us.

• Advertisement

I'll eat my hat if there are any unenforced changes to the starting XV. The fact Conan didn't come on today says he's almost certainly in the 23 as well imo. Would be great to see Larmour on the bench, I think he really deserves it given how he's played this season and in particular since his injury.

I do agree that Coombes is very much in the frame now, he'll have to be given a proper go sooner rather than later but I don't see it this coming weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

After this Tour I wonder does Nucifora and Farrell sit down with Frawley and push for a loan move to Ulster or Connacht for the next year.

Obviously with ngati signed for Leisnter maybe the plan is to move frawley to 10 anyway?? But it's still congested for Leinster there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

A plaque with Ireland vs Maori on it?

You seemingly forget the Jersey we presented to them in the first game. People will really complain about anything

But being honest we gave them the best gift from my point of view and the only one I care about....

..... a defeat

Oh I’m expecting the same, this is just what I personally would like to see in preparation of the rwc. It’d be a shame not to give the likes of Coombes, Larmour and frawley test minutes in such high pressure situations, as they could very realistically be called upon in a hypothetical quarter final situation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I find it interesting that Frawley is getting high praise for his performance today, but didn't after the first game. I thought he was better in the first game. I guess that's the perception that comes with being in a winning team.

But he definitely showed enough across the 2 games to suggest he could be a very good 10 with game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Actually moot point. Moore was stood down after a "couple of concussions".

LH & TH Prop depth serious worry. Healy surely cannot last.

btw i dont think a 40 man squad is a replication of a 33 man RWC squad. Particularly when your have to bring in Michael Bent!

+Any player can be replaced at a RWC for medical or compassionate reasons.

Larmour has 30+ caps including in big 6N games so I don't think it's a huge issue for him. I'd say Coombes will get a start in the AIs and very possibly in the 6N.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭adam240610

https://www.reddit.com/r/YourRugbyCatchup/comments/vx58jo/maori_all_blacks_vs_ireland_20220712/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'd say the players would probably have preferred a crate or 2 of Guinness. Or a couple of bottles of whiskey.

• Advertisement

Good result, notable improvement from the last day, and plenty of guys held their hands up to get more opportunities in November.

Front row all played well; and scrums were generally on top. I think Tom O'Toole has done himself no harm on this tour. Lineouts were a bit all over the place at the beginning, but Scannell was really busy in the loose and impressed considering he literally came off his holidays to join up here. I'd have more faith in him than Heffernan based on this performance.

Treadwell is for me the guy who has gained the most on this tour. I was really impressed by him today; showed some leadership and great work around the park. Joe McCarthy shows great physicality and athleticism, but the naivety you'd expect of a guy so early in his career, giving away some mindless penalties by just trying to force things a bit too much.

Timoney was excellent and my MOTM. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him or Coombes bench instead of Conan on Sat, though think it's unlikely given Conan didn't play tonight. Coombes was physical again, and showed his great edge around the try line.

Casey had a great game; controlled things well throughout, kicked well and injected pace at the right moments.

Frawley had a good game at 10, and there is definitely enough promise there to warrant further examination.

McCloskey was good for me; really solid and physical, and threw a beautiful pass for Larmour's try.

Earls struggled at 13, but it's doing him no favours selecting him there. We've known for years it doesn't suit his skillset.

Lowry struggled defensively a few times, and was guilty of forcing things in attack. O'Brien was tidy, but not spectacular. Larmour had a mixed game, two tries notwithstanding.

Overall, these Maori games were good for us. We got to build some depth, get a look at guys and hopefully build momentum into Saturday.

Maori played a really silly game considering the conditions, and Ioane had a really poor game. Ruben Love shredded us twice though and looks a special player.

Advertisement