Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VSTROM DL 1000 2014 Sub-frame Rust/Corrosion issues - strip,sand blast, powder coated.

Options
  • 23-06-2022 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi all, maybe of some interest to those that have any issues with this bike or any other makes that suffer from this.

I took the plunge and took the frame out to get rectified. Will post some images as I go but you can see from the below it was not in good shape at all.

These guys in Kilcock are doing the frame for me. Might not be an exact colour match but at least the rust will be sorted. https://www.facebook.com/Ashblast/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

That moment when you think... What have I done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

Haha Fairplay !! is this one just particulary bad or high usage to drive such corrosion ?

Very common issue on this bike from what I read on other suzuki forums. I bought the bike in the UK and the original owner was on the coast of Scotland and off roaded it alot aswell as beach and dunes. The British salt their roads heavily so I guess a combo of all that.

Apart from that the bike is perfect, just really annoyed me so thought I'd give it a go.

And I was doing 300km per week on the N4 to the city pre covid, since then I got out about 300km in the past 2 years 😀

Turned out good, not an exact colour match but that's OK. Had to re thread a little as the powder coating got into the threads but all good.

• Advertisement

Close-up of powder coating.

Putting it back was way easier than taking it off 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Nice did you have to just send it to that crowd?

Yep, dropped it out on a Tuesday and collected on a Thursday. €60 well spent. And an extra €25 on a tap and die set to rethread the threads that got coated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Good man, fab result. Always nice to right a factory wrong where the bean counters triumphed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nice one, thats a great looking finish. I know some people put coppergreased bolts into threaded holes when powdercoating so they can just wind them out instead of chasing threads.

That would of been a good call. Wasn't to bad chasing them out though as it was just paint but will know better next time. Might do the center and side stand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

looks good.

In fairness, your subframe isn't bad at all really : lots of GS's with frames worse than that around.

I think anything with a trellis type frame in this country is just heartache tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I think it was more annoying than anything else, the rest of the bike is perfect an that just p!ssed me off a little, also it was a nice bit of downtime when WFH so was good to tackle it when I did.

Advertisement