Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want a general election now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

No I don't want a general election now.

No Mary Lou won’t get hit, but the nurses/gardai/doctors etc will all be hit

Then of course the doctor will also get hit with the tax increase over 100k.Then SF will try to tell you they are going to hire more doctors.

None of it adds up, it’s totally incoherent. Why would a doctor come to ireland to then get taxed in every direction….when this was pointed out to SF health representative he didn’t seem to have an idea about how it would affect doctors. Baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Windowsnut

Yes I want a general election now.

There are plenty of independents out there, you don't have to vote for any one particular party. My point here is that people will vote for one particular party, regardless of what they do or do not!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One major reason nothing ever changes is people vote for the incompetent pothole fixer independents who neither care about, nor have any skills, to do anything on a national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

SF were pretty much tied with FF & FG after the last election, had massive public support and were given all the time in the world to form a government, they failed completely and have accomplished nothing for Irish voters since then, voting for them was a total waste of a vote.

They were begging FF or FG to join with them for a finish FFS.

From my point of view id vote FG again in the morning, people give out but they have done a great job of rebuilding our economy after the Tiger crash (SF wouldn't have gotten into bed with all the big MNCs and handed out tax breaks etc) and did a great job during covid also, the housing sh!tshow now is largely because our economy is so strong and people have good jobs, if our graduates were still emigrating and unemployment still high there would be plenty of houses.

Plus lets be honest electing a Terrorist sympathising party into power is going to hurt us internationally and economically, it'll definitely make things with the Brexit agreement in the North worse for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't understand our electoral system if you think the count someone is elected on matters at all.

When SF run an appropriate number of candidates in the next election they're going to have piles of count-5'ers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They were begging FF or FG to join with them for a finish FFS.

Strange that eh? One might almost think that was the only realistic way they could form a government...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

They could have gathered the left parties and various others instead. Why would they want to go into government with parties they claim are not only incompetent but also corrupt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭rolling boh

SF will only get into power with either FF or less likely FG the numbers are so spread out with far too many independents and small parties to form a viable government . They may well be the biggest next time but will be way off the 80 plus that is needed .Same old same old after the election next time round . Little point in an election now .

I think it would be madness for either FF or FG to go into government with SF. When all the promises turn out to be a little more difficult to achieve than the shouting suggested, it will obviously not be SF's fault. They will turn on whoever they are in partnership with, that is a dead certainty.

I would prefer to see SF get into power in the middle of a recession when difficult decisions will have to be made. Certainly wouldn't want to see them get in when things are going well.

'Various others' would have had to involve most of the independents, many of whom are quite conservative and would be no more likely to support an SF-led government than Paul Murphy would be to support an FF- or FG-led one.

Why do you think FF and FG were so keenly encouraging SF to pursue the formation of a government in the immediate aftermath of the 2020 election? Because they knew it was never a realistic proposition and SF would only make themselves a laughing stock chasing after the likes of Noel Grealish and Michael Lowry.

Here's one of SF's wiser heads recognising this reality in the aftermath of the election

• Advertisement

Well said.

Relentless preaching and virtue signalling while nailing their arses firmly to the fence and hiding in the coal shed when invited to participate in government for fear that they'd have to take a hard decision.

A party led by a pair of superannuated biddies who can't agree which of them should lead, so they're able to split the Leader's Allowance between them while drawing the State Contributory Pension on top of their Dáil Salaries and expenses.

Their hypocrisy was highlighted when Murphy refused to co-operate with the Tribunal of Inquiry into Siteserv that she had been mainly responsible for establishing five years earlier. That shameless little stunt has cost the taxpayer over €30 million so far and is likely to cost twice as much before it's finished.

Remarkably, they're the only party in Leinster House that manage to make Sinn Fein seem genuine - which is some achievement.

A post that serves mainly to display jaw-dropping ignorance about the ownership of the Apple Tax money - Ireland "owns" it in much the same way that we own the dark side of the moon.

SF will only get into power with either FF

Why wouldn't this happen if FF have a new leader? FF already expressing openness to the idea even under Martin

Why would FF and FG encourage SF to form a government in 2020? Maybe because it would be better if someone else had to deal with Covid? No party is going to be popular having to make the hard decisions during the pandemic. I really hope SF have an absolute ****-sandwich to deal with when the eventually get in, not as bad as the property bubble collapse, but something that means they have to make hard decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Well how can they when there up against a FFG who's purpose is to be the best boys in class of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’m voting yes only because I want shut the SF, SD and PBP loudmouths. It’s time for them to sink or swim.

If they sink, I hope that some new parties come in and rip up the virtue signalling rule book. Amalgamate the ridiculous amount of NGOs that all do the same thing, make working the lower paid jobs more worthwhile than not working, tackle crime and punishment properly, sort out the public service and put all that money paid to middle management pen pushers back to the frontline staff.

If they swim then there’s no harm done

Im just tired of the status quo tbh from all parties.

What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yes I want them out, housing is an absolute disaster and all their policies have done is add fuel to the fire by subsidizing the market. They left the housing policy to the private sector and now that is slowing down due to costs, the idiots were warned developers will only build property that is profitable. Now we have crackpot schemes like giving developers 144k towards an apartment build with no questions of affordability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’d like an election but I haven’t a clue who I’d vote for. Afraid of sf, burned by ffg and independents are useless. Not a green believer either. Pretty much no options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

How do you expect an Independent to achieve much when there coming up against Fianna Fail Fianna Gael Greens etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It's why there needs to be a few groups that have decent numbers to make a viable government let the voters then decide . A heap of tiddly groups and independents where a lot with FFFG origins ensures FFFG remain the main players after every election .

Totally agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So far, this poll hasn't gone the way the OP expected. Time to get the masses out and bring about that general election.

I meant what does "best boys in Europe" mean?

I hope that some new parties come in

dream on...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I like to see an election just before Leo is due to take over again.

Martin was wise to take first term as it's always a possibility that the government won't go full term.

Personally I think there are enough people voting for SF to allow them form a government next time but I'm very much hoping they will then be shown up as the bluffers they are and will crash and burn at the next election.

Whats wrong with the OP asking? Id say there are a great number of people, just like me, who are disillusioned by all politicians. They just love the sound of their own voices really and it’s all about what’s in it for them and not what’s best for the nation. It’s time for the loudmouths on the other side eat some humble pie.

The realist in me knows that what you said is so true 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's a throwback to the Troika days when we had to do what we were told.

• Advertisement

A downturn in the economy, rising prices, threats of fuel shortages- a perfect formula for a rise in SF seats- also with a number of constituencies moving to 5 seats-those discounting that SF won’t be contenders for government should take heed.

Id say FG will suffer losses to the gains of FF and SF- the Greens will get squashed as Green simply means rising taxes and prices because that party doesn’t have an imaginative bone in its collective body - no body wants even more punitive legislation relating to fuel or turf or feicing cycle lanes or whatever else they dream up

lord knows what will happen Labour bless their cotton socks - likely some gains as those turning away from FG won’t want to vote SF

Advertisement