Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There was a limit but with obvious problems.

It isn't clear how many riders have been prosecuted for speeding offenses in the park, but there are multiple known cases over the years which could potentially be overturned in the coming future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Which is then is very inconsistent why cyclists can exceed it

on a very trivial level, i'd agree with you that it's 'inconsistent', but to compare a cyclist on a bicycle with a combined mass of say 100kg, with a motorist in a car with a total mass of say 1,500kg is also inconsistent.

anyway, in relation to chesterfield avenue being a wide arrow straight road, and that 'enticing' motorists to go faster, or to negate the argument about the road not being 'designed' for 30km/h - what could be done with it? chicanes, lights, etc.? there'd be a valid argument against doing too much with it due to the historical landscape of the park (although they did line it with those plastic wands, but they can be removed very quickly)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

No it wasn't - as late as the 1980s it was a wide single carriageway with no marked hard shoulders at all. The driving lanes were therefore very wide indeed, though parked cars meant an actual lane width along the lines of what we see today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Slower cars are quieter. Engine speeds are lower. Emissions are lower. Greater time to react to issues. And more.

Someone mentioned night time driving. For times of low light the 30km/h is even more appropriate to reduce the risk of collisions with deer crossing the road.

Ok so I assume there was an awful lot of collisions previously to justify a need to reduce the limit?

And yet we have many junctions and hotspots around the country that should get some attention on safety grounds but we're choosing a flat, straight and well surfaced road with no real history of any accidents... That's odd to me

You'll never convince me that this is actually about safety. Maybe they just don't want cars in the park in which case they should just ban them and deal with the fallout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ok so I assume there was an awful lot of collisions previously to justify a need to reduce the limit?

the first three reasons he listed were nothing to do with collisions. maybe it's just a good idea that in a semi-naturalised public park, we ask drivers to drive slowly, because it's not asking much of them?

So it's a green agenda then?

In which case it's difficult to really gauge how in the entire country, reducing the limit in this park is going to have any real impact at all.

Still struggling to see what was wrong before that such changes were actually needed.

So it's a green agenda then?

it's a public park.

just to satisfy my own curiosity, i checked strava to see how fast a fast cyclist will cycle chesterfield avenue. on the main segment from the first roundabout to the last one (heading towards the city - and this is a slight downhill and more likely to have a tailwind, so is faster than the return), only 5 cyclists have ever gone faster than 50km/h (with a sixth managing precisely 50.0).

693 cyclists have managed 40 or above on that segment.

on the opposite direction, no one has managed 50; the fastest is 46.5km/h, and only 33 people have averaged 40km/h or faster. 12,297 people have recorded a time doing this.

• Advertisement

Interesting and cool data.

It's down hill towards town. I know on a good day I can spin out in top gear on my slick shod MTB commuter. Never uphill towards Castleknock.

I note the guy who recorded speeds in that article on the cycle site is using some sort of rear light with a radar? Sensor in it. I meant to research it, but didn't have time..

not sure of the link you mean, but garmin have a product called the varia which acts a rear facing radar, but needs a compatible head GPS unit to talk to.

That's it.

Someone recorded data of drivers not sticking to the new limit. Which is counter to people's anecdotal stories here. Not that it matters. It's just interesting from a stats pov..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'd be in favour of moving cycle lanes away from the road in Chesterfield Avenue. Putting them next to a road for cars is just bad planning.

We should create a safe space away from the road for the tourists on rental bikes and people coming to the park for recreational cycling (rather than those using the park as a shortcut on their commute).

I've been overtaken on the left hand side by commuter cyclists in the last couple of weeks, both the traditional push bike, the e-bikes and also those on the scooters. They were going over 30k, and undertaking on the inside, which is clearly dangerous.

Post edited by hardybuck on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Seems some feel that cycling should be slower than driving, and that speed limits should be adjusted to maintain that.

Seriously, have a read back of what you just wrote. You're actually saying and complaining that cyclists use the park as a short cut for their route, and feel that they should be taken away from the road.

Now what proportion of cars using the park do you think are actually only driving to and from the park, and not using it as a main commuting thoroughfare?

There has been an attempt to demonise commuters, and the argument put forward is that the park facilities should be weighted in favour of those coming for recreational purposes.

I'd wager that a significant proportion of cyclists in the park are taking a shortcut on their commute.

i've never before heard using the park as a 'shortcut on a commute'; people usually would just refer to it as part of their commute?

Errrr... That is pretty much as intended by design...

Should we make planes go slower than boats?

Yeah there is definitely a push to get people to go around the park on their commute rather than through it. Google Maps being one example of that.

Green Party candidate saying it here: https://oisinohalmhain.ie/2018/07/17/a-park-for-people-not-a-shortcut-for-cars/

Green Party Councillor saying it here: https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/no-more-traffic-through-phoenix-park

• Advertisement

I think there's a case to made that someone at high speed on a bike may not be entirely appropriate in a park filled with pedestrians and kids, and tourists.

That said thats covered by dangerous cycling, and cycling without due care etc. Also we don't have stats if its a significant issue, other than isolated cases.

Same issue with shared spaces, and is covered the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They have lost on that particular position, forever. Closing the Park to through-traffic was ruled out completely in the mobility plan, elements of which are currently being piloted.

Two points of note:

First, we were promised a selection of new designated pedestrian crossing points along Chesterfield Avenue and they haven't been delivered. Perhaps two million unsightly plastic wands consumed the budget.

And second, the only fatal road incident within the Park in living memory, was a cyclist hitting a Pedestrian on Chesterfield Avenue.

There is no law about going over the speed limit on a bicycle.

eScooters are illegal.

eBikes are only legal if the assisted power cuts off above 25k. You can manually cycle or freewheel above those speeds. (down a hill for example).

If you are going to use the phrase "clearly dangerous" you should have stats to prove your point.

There are no design requirements that one should be slower than the other. It's just that they are.

You really think that with the heavy volumes of traffic leading to slow motoring speeds an artificial barrier should be brought in to keep those on bikes slower than those in cars because you think that's how things have been designed?

Janey, so those would potentially have been illegal vehicles commuting in the park? That's even worse.

In terms of clearly dangerous, I'm going by the logic that 30km has been deemed to be the maximum speed which is safe. If there's people going above that it must be dangerous. In terms of stats while I'm sorry that this has to be regularly mentioned, I not aware of a fatality involving a motorist, but there unfortunately has been one involving a cyclist in the recent past. It would appear that cyclists, and the bikes which they use, are capable of higher speeds now.

Seriously lads, it's basic physics. Bike with person @30k/ph does not equate to a car at the same speed for a whole variety of obvious reasons.

But sure there's no laws about anyone needing to stick to 30km in the park, is there?

And sure, if there is going to be speed limits introduced as a safety measure, shouldn't there be stats for that too?

Aye, its just a matter of time before they remove through traffic. Its a park, it should be the destination, not a thoroughfare. Wouldn't take much to implement it

While it'd be amazing to have new roads under, over or around the park to make your suggestion viable, I don't think that's a realistic option - not in the short term anyway.

Rather than removing facilities (which seems to be the OPW playbook) I think they should create designated zones for the different users of the the park to make it more inclusive.

I think it would be amazing to have a proper trail for recreational cyclists, and a space for kids learning to cycle safely. Let the commuters have Chesterfield Avenue and one or two others like North Road, Furze Road and Acres Road.

But lobbing in cycle paths next to a road built for cars is just lazy and bad planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Fatalities as a measure whether something is safe is not a good one. Technology in cars distorts such figures anyway. It would be better to look at collisions (though I don't have that data).

The cyclist that died in 2016 was on the off road cycle track and a pedestrian walked in front of him. Cyclist had hi viz on. The pedestrian appears to say that he didn't check before crossing the cycle track. The Gardai had warned OPW that the layout (pedestrians having to cross cycle track) was dangerous. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/cyclist-died-after-colliding-with-pedestrian-on-cycle-path-in-phoenix-park-inquest-hears-36384888.html

Advertisement