Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next British PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Sunak sounds less dogmatic regarding the Protocol than the rest.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^ Kwasi Kwarteng looks to have the skills to replace Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't think he is that popular with people due to his performance as health secretary?

He also seems to have a few powerful enemies in the media e.g. Rebekah Brooks (head of news UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

When is the closing date for candidates to be nominated? When does the first ballot take place? Can there be more than 1 ballot in a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

It says a lot about how far gone the Tories are that Jeremy Hunt is considered by many to be the best option there for a serious competent politician, when he was known as the most incompetent and least popular member of David Cameron's cabinet a few years ago.

Tom Tugenhadt would be a decent choice too. I think I recall him having some problematic opinions that British soldiers shouldn't be held to account for crimes in Northern Ireland, but as a Tory with a military background that's pretty much par for the course. In general he seems to have his head screwed on when it comes to policy.

Outside of those two there are really only bad options and terrible options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’d agree those two seem like the least dire. Maybe Penny Mordaunt too, as she’s not too closely associated with Boris and wasn’t a fan of his, but then again she was pro Brexit so presumably logic is not her forte. She also bizarrely featured the deceased Labour MP Jo Cox in her campaign video, for some unknown reason, and had to change it.

Sunak’s campaign seems to be centered around rebuilding the country, as if it slipped his mind that he’s been Chancellor for the last 2 years and his party has been in government for the last 12.

Truss is truly vile- no spine whatsoever, lacking in any kind of intelligence or wit, and would probably be the worst PM from an Irish POV other than Braverman- who is so dim that she hasn’t a hope, even amongst Tories.

A truly abysmal crop of self-serving charlatans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Unfortunately not only are the candidates a truly abysmal crop of self-serving charlatans, so are the MPs voting for them.

Not much chance of any successful candidate bringing any good news for Ireland.

So 20 MP's required for a candidate to go forward to the first ballot on Wednesday. Any candidate getting less than 30 votes in the ballot will be eliminated. That should thin out the field

I think that you may get tactical voting in the ballots. Sunak seems to be the most popular amongst the MP's whilst Penny Morduant is most popular amongst the membership. His supporters amongst the MP's may vote for someone else who is not as popular with the membership for the second place

If she can get through the first round, Kemi Badenoch is a dark-horse, for me.

Tory voters will love her anti-PC rhetoric.

• Advertisement

Patel out. Her as PM would have been truly awful. Hateful woman.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭amacca

Thank the powers that be for small mercies at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

I just wonder that when it comes down to the nitty gritty, the Conservative membership will baulk at electing a non-white leader.

You can say that the front bench represents a range of ethnic minorities who presumably were selected originally by local party membership but when it comes to electing a PM..?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That can be circumvented by having just one candidate. The party membership only come into play when the PCP narrow it down to two candidates.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Sorry I don't understand. There will be two candidates presented to the membership for consideration. That was always the intention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, Sunak was actually a Brexiteer in 2016 but he doesn't seem to share the right wing xenophobia / racism / Europhobia of some of his colleagues. I get the feeling he'd be quite okay on the Protocol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ordinary Tories in kippy little English towns who wear Union Flag T-shirts and drink at the local Conservative Club are inherently and unmovably racist. I've seen it up close with in-laws of mine in middle England.

If it comes down to Sunak and Mordaunt, it'll be Mordaunt, or it'll be Truss or Tugendhat, completely irrespective of the support Sunak might have in the Parliamentary Party.

If it comes down to Sunak and Javid, or Zahawi, prepare to see minds blown 😂

(Neither Braverman nor Badenoch will get near the final two)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We don't know that yet. In 2016, Theresa May and Andrea Leadsom were vying to be leader until Leadsom's absurd remarks about motherhood torpedoed her chances. May ran unopposed with no need for a vote. It's entirely possible that one of the final two could be bought off by the offer of the chancellorship for instance, nullifying the need for a vote.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

They've thought of that. Apparently it's a condition of being in the race that you promise you won't pull out subsequently.

• Advertisement

Andrea Leadsom is supporting Penny Mordaunt for PM, and was rhapsodising about her at length on C4 News last night. I would have liked to see the interviewer ask her why she was supporting a woman who is not a mother, as that was so important a factor to her during the leadership race in 2016.

She tried to backtrack at the time, but her exact words to the Sunday Times were:

"I am sure Theresa will be really sad she doesn't have children so I don't want this to be 'Andrea has children, Theresa hasn't, because I think that would be really horrible, but genuinely I feel that being a mum means you have a very real stake in the future of our country, a tangible stake. She possibly has nieces, nephews, lots of people, but I have children who are going to have children who will directly be a part of what happens next."

As if anyone who doesn't have kids can't possibly care as much about the future of the country as someone who has procreated. It was a horrible attitude and she was rightly denounced- it was a big factor in her failing in the race, if I recall.

But I guess all that's different now she's not competing herself. Consistency is not a strong point with any of these Tories, is it.

The current Conservative party is not known for keeping promises. I doubt many northern English feel levelled up for instance.

Grant Shapps has pulled out. Both he and Dominic Raab are backing Sunak. I expect that there will be a few more withdrawals by tomorrow. It looks certain that Sunak will be one of the two candidates to go forward to the membership vote

I don't think they'll be allowed a stitch up like that again.

BTW shortly after that leadership contest ended Andrea Leadsome was down in Kerry walking Mt Brandon

This appears to be the final shortlist :

Sunak, Mordaunt, Tugendhat, Truss, Hunt, Braverman (won't be confirmed until 6pm though).

I would imagine that the cost of polling 200,000 members at a minimum of £5 each (plus) might temper the enthusiasm for such a poll. [A postage stamp each way, plus an envelope inside an envelope, plus election literature, plus instructions - that might up the cost].

I am sure there are better things on which Tory Central Office might wish to spend £1 million pound or more. If one candidate is well ahead, the second place one could just call it a day - and all over by next Friday, and they can all go away to the sun in the knowledge that the clown era is over - for the time being anyway.

A shortlist of eight confirmed : Badenoch, Braverman, Hunt, Mordaunt, Sunak, Truss, Tugendhat, Zahawi

Full list:

Kemi Badenoch, Suella Braverman, Jeremy Hunt, Penny Mordaunt, Rishi Sunak, Liz Truss, Tom Tugendhat and Nadhim Zahawi

None inspire me one bit.

[But then I am not a right wing Brexiteer].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, my pennies worth is on Penny... She has Davis in her corner and that is an indicator of things.

Dan.

Advertisement