Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

over wifi or ethernet? using 1gig bb with virgin but my dock doesn't have ethernet connection

WiFi, it supposedly runs very well. You'll need to be close to your 5ghz router to get the best experience

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I have game pass ultimate, I think you do need ultimate for the cloud games but not 100% sure. But well worth it. I play on WiFi and have no issues.

Tonight I Played My Friend Pedro streamed remotely from my PS5, played some Battlefield 4 on Xbox game pass, and then Satisfactory installed on the Deck tonight. All played great.

Great machine. But I hate to think how quickly that battery will lose capacity. I think I fully discharged and charged it 3 times today.

Got a few bits on Prime day. A 1TB sd card, a little stand to sit in, a USB-C dock with power through, and a 90-degree USB-C Adaptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

• Advertisement

Sure, on seconnd look I downgraded the 1TB SD card to a 512 for 40. No idea what the quality is like on any of these but if they all work out it will be set up to use as a desktop. Some were on flash deals so price might move a bit.

Sd card €40

USB C Dock €40

Stand for €12

Keyboard for €25

90 degree adapter €7

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Personally, I've held off on the any of the docks/hubs doing the rounds, bar the USB C one I have to hand already just to try out, plus I really consider the SD to be a handheld as opposed to a desktop replacement, but while the official Dock is still in limbo, I put in an order for the upgraded Jsaux one. Some decent word about the first one they brought out, but lacked the gigabit ethernet etc, so the revised one due at the end of the month has some issues fixed

https://www.jsaux.com/products/upgraded-docking-station-for-steam-deck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I totally forgot about the Steam Link. Trying it out now. Casting to the Android app on a chromecast with Google tv (on sale at the moment for €46) and it works pretty well. Sitting on the couch playing on the big TV. No dock, or cables, or adapters.

I must root in the attic I think I have one or two of the hardware links too. Might get a better image quality.

Edit: So I dug out the Steam Link hardware from the attic. Turns out the app is actually able to support a better picture quality at up to 4K. Not that it really matters as you won't output at 4k.

The main benefit of the hardware is the USB ports. It has 3, so room for a mouse and keyboard and controller. It has HDMI out and can be plugged into the network directly.

So technically you could have this as a "dock" sitting at a desk and use the mouse and keyboard and not have to bother actually docking the console via the USB-C port. Could be handy in some situations.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was hoping for a fresh play-through of Half-Life 2 on the Deck, but might have to abandon it (or at least move to the PC). Not a fan of the aiming on it at all: there's no auto-aim whatsoever, and I'm not a fan of gyro aiming. So you're trying to wrestle a very mouse & keyboard centric game with console controls, and it's substantially more difficult as a result. Even with all the various extras Valve threw on the hardware - including the touchpads and gyro - it probably needs a small update to make it more playable. Which you'd hope it would get, as the whole UI and control scheme (other than the auto-aiming) has already been overhauled for Deck!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Anyone have any idea what the timeframe/delivery steps are with GLS? Paid for mine early last week - it's now 9 days later and package is still moving around Netherlands, despite being shipped days ago. Thought it would be a straight 2 day sort of delivery affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Always found GLS to be the slow side alright, even when an item landed in Ireland with them, I'd usually have to wait a couple days for it to appear.

Can't recall exactly how long my order was shipment-wise but do recall it being close to a business week before it appeared in Ireland after initially shipped. Bit of disruption over there at the moment with protests, but no idea of the locations or if it is impacting routes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Around a week, typically. There'll usually be a gap in activity at some point for a few days when it ships from the Netherlands to Ireland, but it should arrive within a day or two once it gets here. Nine days is quite long, though, if it's still visibly moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ordered mine on the 6th and arrived yesterday, you can forget about the GLS tracking updates. Mine was still showing in transit between Netherlands and Ireland when it arrived.

My Amazon orders got here. The little stand is actually pretty great. It has slots the right locations and shape as the air vents to help cooling and it sits in the stand very nicely with the little pads preventing it from slipping.

Keyboard and mouse connected no issues. and the USB - C dock works too. Getting power and internet through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I ordered mine on the 4th, shipped the 7th, arrived into Ireland on 12th. Out for delivery yesterday 13th. Never arrived for some reason. Back out this morning and delivered thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Thanks for the updates lads, I was hoping to have it for the weekend, but judging by what ye all experienced I'd say I'm more likely to receive it monday or tuesday next week. Ah well, already waited a year, whats another few days.

Got mine yesterday, first impressions are good but fear for people not too savvy on tech, had to do a lot of tinkering to get Fall Guys working on it and the Gamepass installation is a little clunky. Don't have a massive Steam library so most of my gaming is from other sources. Very impressed with Proton and adding games to steam from .exe files

I just don't know how a casual non techy gamer picking this device up like a switch to game without any issue.

If you only played through Steam and had loads of games on it then it would be great especially if you stayed in game mode and not desktop mode.

First time using Linux as well and have to say I'm really impressed with it, hopefully it gets more mainstream with this and developers focus on it more with gaming.

I think it's a great device to start people off. You can stick with steam mode and just buy/play games from steam.

But sooner or later if they are that way inclined, they will start to explore and discover all this other stuff it can do.

I'm discovering loads myself. It reminds me of getting a spectrum zs when I was 4. First thing I did was play games. But after a while I started seeing what else it could do. First few experiments were doing silly things like making the screen flash different colours by writing code. Got to the point where you could buy magazines with game code in it and type it all out to build the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

finally got the email to pay and it's on the way 👌🏻any good suggestions for a screen protector ?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Looks like they've managed to speed up the orders, I've been moved to q3 from after q3, hopefully I'll hear something in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ordered one yesterday for my sister, was put straight into Q3.

Which model? I ordered a 256 model in May and I'm still in Q4.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

WHy would you need one, it's not something you stick in a pocket with keys? The case is superb and provides all the protection it needs.

Here you go. Fits really nicely, once on it just looks like the screen, and has a bit of anti glare built in but still doesn't dim the screen noticeably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I got mine last week and I haven't even turned it on yet 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

I ordered a 512gb in early January. Was saying after Q3 but is now saying in Q4. Happy out if I get one before year's end.

The Adverts scalpers won't be happy if these orders really do pick up 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It was the 256gb model. Suspect that you’ll get bumped up or I’ll get bumped back if that’s the case.

Advertisement