Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next British PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Shelga

Andrea Leadsom is supporting Penny Mordaunt for PM, and was rhapsodising about her at length on C4 News last night. I would have liked to see the interviewer ask her why she was supporting a woman who is not a mother, as that was so important a factor to her during the leadership race in 2016.

She tried to backtrack at the time, but her exact words to the Sunday Times were:

"I am sure Theresa will be really sad she doesn't have children so I don't want this to be 'Andrea has children, Theresa hasn't, because I think that would be really horrible, but genuinely I feel that being a mum means you have a very real stake in the future of our country, a tangible stake. She possibly has nieces, nephews, lots of people, but I have children who are going to have children who will directly be a part of what happens next."

As if anyone who doesn't have kids can't possibly care as much about the future of the country as someone who has procreated. It was a horrible attitude and she was rightly denounced- it was a big factor in her failing in the race, if I recall.

But I guess all that's different now she's not competing herself. Consistency is not a strong point with any of these Tories, is it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The current Conservative party is not known for keeping promises. I doubt many northern English feel levelled up for instance.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

Grant Shapps has pulled out. Both he and Dominic Raab are backing Sunak. I expect that there will be a few more withdrawals by tomorrow. It looks certain that Sunak will be one of the two candidates to go forward to the membership vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

I don't think they'll be allowed a stitch up like that again.

BTW shortly after that leadership contest ended Andrea Leadsome was down in Kerry walking Mt Brandon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This appears to be the final shortlist :

Sunak, Mordaunt, Tugendhat, Truss, Hunt, Braverman (won't be confirmed until 6pm though).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would imagine that the cost of polling 200,000 members at a minimum of £5 each (plus) might temper the enthusiasm for such a poll. [A postage stamp each way, plus an envelope inside an envelope, plus election literature, plus instructions - that might up the cost].

I am sure there are better things on which Tory Central Office might wish to spend £1 million pound or more. If one candidate is well ahead, the second place one could just call it a day - and all over by next Friday, and they can all go away to the sun in the knowledge that the clown era is over - for the time being anyway.

A shortlist of eight confirmed : Badenoch, Braverman, Hunt, Mordaunt, Sunak, Truss, Tugendhat, Zahawi

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Full list:

Kemi Badenoch, Suella Braverman, Jeremy Hunt, Penny Mordaunt, Rishi Sunak, Liz Truss, Tom Tugendhat and Nadhim Zahawi

None inspire me one bit.

[But then I am not a right wing Brexiteer].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, my pennies worth is on Penny... She has Davis in her corner and that is an indicator of things.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

The Telegraph reckons she'll beat the rest in a head-to-head as well. As minister for trade I wonder will she keep good diplomatic ties with us. Any idea what her opinion on the NIP is?

She was mouthing and spouting about the NIP a while back anyway, said it needed serious adjustment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Not easy to say at the moment as she could need to get one or two hardliners on board to support her which could impact her thinking. I am hoping that she will be keen to repair the damage that has sprung up since Boris'time. Overall she does seem to be more of a logical thinker with plenty of Navy discipline. From what I know she had a humble time growing up with cancer taking her Mom. She also worked under John Major for a while.

Note to boot... she went to a roman catholic school.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Her family is from Wexford.

She may be every bit the ardent Brexiter that Johnson or JRM are, but I suspect she'll be more pragmatic. She doesn't have any particular connection with the 6 Counties or its history, so the Protocol may bother her less.

But then, it does matter more what the people who back her for the big job want in return, rather than her own instincts on any particular matter. Davis may feel he owes Brussels a bloody nose, after he was repeatedly humiliated as Brexit Secretary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Could get it as a way to build support for the Tories among the working class.

Though I suspect she won't run, won't win and will keep her job.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised Javid didn't receive enough backing to make it through the first clearout. Perhaps his Lannigan's ball approach to backing Boris made too many people view him as a snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

I'm actually quite surprised by that. Given her position she should know how important it is, especially to the north to keep a free trade agreement. Is it a matter of toeing the party line or to appease the DUP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If she gets to the final two she will probably win .

Sunak looking at the betting and amount of MPS supporting him is going to cruise into the final 2 but that is when its a problem, he is doing poorly in head to heads against pretty much everyone. Their is an obvious "anyone but sunak" wing of the party who for now have got behind truss, they will support whoever is final 2 v Rishi.

At the moment it seems like Truss and Penny are in a fight for the 2nd spot when it comes to the members vote with Tugendhat most likely of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

Didn't I say that - a woman vs a "brown guy". Now given that Tories are racist chauvinists this is going to be great 🍿 When it comes to this, I'm almost certain "the brown guy" will lose. Tories are Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Penny fwiw. She is armed forces, leaver from the get go and not tied to BJ. Total lightweight, but she looks the part.

Sunak is too rich, too brown, and too Boris - will not go down at all well with the party twin-set brigade who will be making final call.

• Advertisement

The bookies have decided that this is basically a 3 horse race with Penny Mordaunt hot favourite at 4/5, Sunak next at 7/2 and Liz Truss at 4/1. Anyone else is 28/1 or more. The question is whether Penny gets enough votes to get to the second stage. Also whether further exposure damages her candidature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The question is whether Penny gets enough votes to get to the second stage.

Could there be skullduggery by the Sunak Squad to ensure she doesn't?

And if she doesn't would there be a big backlash from the membership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

double post, apologies

Post edited by Loafing Oaf on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mordaunt and Sunak abstained on the protocol bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

I see where our favourite Lord, David Frost has stuck the boot into Penny Mordaunt, alleging that she was absent during a lot of the crunch negotiations with the EU.

Whereas of course he was so on top of the detail that he allowed through a protocol that the British government are trying to wriggle out of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

And that was the last we ever heard of Suella Braverman

Rishi Sunak - 101 (up 13)

Penny Mordaunt - 83 (up 16)

Liz Truss - 64 (up 14)

Kemi Badenoch - 49 (up 9)

Tom Tugendhat - 32 (down 5)

Suella Braverman - 27 (down 5)

That means Braverman is out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

voting timetable

Thursday - second vote, result 3pm

Next Monday - third vote, result 8pm

Next Tuesday - fourth vote, result 3pm

Next Wednesday - fifth and final vote, 4pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,365 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Her family is from Wexford.

Interesting ... I wonder if she has an Irish (hence EU) passport? Thereby not subject to many of the disadvantages that she has foisted upon her electorate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This must be the most diverse set of candidates for leader of a large party in Western Europe.

It just shows how multi cultural the UK is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

Apart from the fact that chauvinist racist tories will never select a brown man or a black woman for the PM. It's gonna be a white woman....

That shows they are worried about her if they are using that tactic. Isn’t Liz truss twenty behind Mordaunt ?

Racist Tories?

About half the candidates weren't white. Sunak has been Chancellor for nearly 3 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There have been arguments in the past that due to the PM advising on appointments to the COE that it is constitutionally questionable. As with most things in the UK though, I suspect the parliament can just do whatever it wants though.

Steady on old boy. An Asian chancellor is merely common sense, but leader of the party? It just not cricket.

Britain doesn't have a constitution. They go by precedent and make new ones up when they need to.

Many UK Prime Ministers haven't been members of the Church of England anyway.

• Advertisement

Some analysts think Truss is by no means out of it. Difficult to predict where a lot of eliminated votes will go and it looks like the different camps are indeed up to all sorts - Mordaunt being favourite is more based on the assumption that she will make the last two, but this is not guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

If this was Have I Got News for You, there'd've been at least one joke by now about how Boris Johnson never pulls out (a reference to his dick).

I think Kemi Badenoch is the only one who might have a chance of beating Starmer, so I hope they don't go for her.

The ordinary gammon Tory membership would never elect Kemi Badenoch.

Nor Rishi Sunak, for more reasons than his perceived betrayal of Johnson.

If it comes down to anyone versus Sunak, he loses. If it comes down to Mordaunt v Truss, its more difficult to call among the Membership.

Truss is a Johnson loyalist (ish), and experienced, but her prior Remainer status makes her untrustworthy.

Mordaunt is a dyed in the wool Brexiter, but she is socially liberal and relatively inexperienced and by all accounts woolly on detail. She also has military pragmatism in her blood as well as Irish Catholic heritage, which may see her as dangerous on the Protocol Bill. But of course, that may not cost ordinary Tory Party members a thought, because let's face it, Englishmen of a nationalist persuasion, couldn't give a f*** about Northern Ireland. In fact, they'd bite your hand off tomorrow to exchange Irish Unity for a clean, complete and finalised Brexit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The UK does have a constitution, just not a codified one.

Though the most important element of it is that parliament (not government) is sovereign so can largely do what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

To be fair Kemi has done well in polls on conservativehome and the telegraph which is a fair representation of the members especially conservativehome so she'd have a chance in the final two but it seems unlikely she will reach that stage. I'd be curious to see what odds she will be if tories lose next election and whoever wins this contest will likely be binned.

Sunak should get in the final two, Penny fav to join him , but I assume Truss will be pulling lots of strings to try and squeeze in also.

Sky news is absolutely pathetic when it comes to analysing what's going on. They just parade hours and hours of talking heads and boast about what their confidential sources are feeding them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not sure why they are seeking to embrace these far right loons, you'd think they'd be pushing them out, not trying to please them. Seems everyone running is out to please them

Well codified means in one document like ours is. There’s stuff in writing but it’s not under one roof as it were. There is a lot of things done on tradition and stuff that just always happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think Miss Moneypenny will win, as someone like her will have a lot of dirt on a lot of people.

Liz Truss has now overtaken Rishi Sunak as the marginal second favourite even though he is likely to be one of the 2 candidates to go forward to the membership vote. I think it would be preferable that Penny Mordaunt wins as she would be more independent of the ERG

• Advertisement
Advertisement