Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks C, I do feel really good & defo some added confidence from the 5k😁

Oh are you doing Dublin too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Chicago for me, it is 3 weeks before Dublin so it will work out well with the club folks training for Dublin

I think I will only run the Tullamore 1/2 in the build up.....it falls 6 weeks out which is ideal.

It just gets a bit scary when you realise it is only 12 weeks away.

C

Ah yes you did say that previously (scatter brain🙄) ah that's good you will have them to train with! Yep time is just flying by, it will be here in no time🙈

I was looking at that half for myself, haven't booked anything yet just sorted the Frank Duffy 10mile where I'll go head to head with my arch nemesis @Murph_D 😉

Hope the hols are going great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Oh a head to head in the Frank Duffy 10 I will be sure to be in the Phoeno for that one.

Holidays are going well it is just too blooming warm to do much running. It was 26 when I went out at 0615 this morning and I will still baked. I might just leave it now until I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I’m definitely being set up for a bruising here!

• Advertisement

Probably a good idea if it's that hot, just enjoy lounging in it😉😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats again on that amazing 5k result. As well as the Sonia O'S kudos, Jarlath also gave you a shout out on the podcast the following week - I'm sure you heard it but in case not! Fame on so many levels 😀

Thanks a mill! Oh really was that the episode with Cathal Dennehy? I must have missed it🤣

• Advertisement

Mon 11th - Rest Day

Tues 12th - W/u,5*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec(no walks) C/d

Set out after work for this run. Beautiful evening, really enjoyed this.

Weds 13th - W/u, 3*8mins@6:46/6:55 off 3mins, C/d

Another very warm evening but again another good run.

Thurs 14th - W/u, 5*400's, 5*200's, 5* Hills, C/d

This is becoming one of my fav runs now!

Fri 15th - W/u,strides, 6*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec, C/d

Got out for this run before work as I was heading straight out for a catch up with some former colleagues/friends. A beautiful morning, all went well considering its a while since i've been out running this early.

Sat 16th - W/u, 12*400's, C/d

Set out to the PP for this on another glorious morning. Happy with the efforts of this, love how controlled the form is when i'm doing these, really noticing my stride as I pick up the pace. Great to see so many smiley people out too, I think the good weather defo cheers people up!

Sun 17th - Sunday progression run - (30mins@ 8:57/9:15, 20mins@7:54/8:08, 20mins@7:06/7:17)

Didn't get to bed till late as I was out with my friends home from Scotland, ended up in the Mill at a 90's night, really great craic, lots of dancing & great music & 1 or 2 drinks😉 Woke late enough for this & knew it was warm out so got some fluids in a while before setting off.

It was very warm out but I managed it quite well, the winds seem to pick up for the last couple of miles & of course this was when I was running up the KT road which is like a wind tunnel, didn't hit the paces & not too sure if the effort was there for the last mile which annoyed me but hopefully it was more to do with the drink & late night which I am defo not used to anymore!

Mon 18th - Rest

Tues 19th - W/u, 8*3mins@6:28/6:36 off 2mins, C/d

Went out at lunch time for this, besides there being no air at all it was a nice session & I managed it quite well.

Weds 20th - W/u, 6*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec, C/d

Another run after work, felt strong on this run.

Thurs 21st - W/u, 5*400's, 5*200's, 5* Hills, C/d

Yes my fav run comes around again. My form felt really good for these 400's & 200's & then the hills are great to focus even more on the form.

Fri 22nd - W/u,5*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec(no walks) C/d

Loving all the vest top & shorts weather! Another controlled run, enjoying looking at how fitter I have gotten for the same route & heartrate since I started doing these.

Went to the pics with my daughter, son & grandson to see the Rise of Gru, I just love watching how engrossed my grandson gets😊

Sat 23rd - W/u, 60mins@7:54/8:08, slight surge every 10 mins, C/d

Ok so on paper & having done this previously this shouldn't really have been too hard at all. It was very humid & the winds felt very strong & I struggled at some parts of it. I had been out the night before(only for a quick drink & was in bed early) but I got quite upset about my da, so I think it carried over into the run, like who cries & gets angry because the winds are getting stronger????? Anyway was never happier to have a run completed!

Sun 24th - 2hrs 15mns @ around 9min miles with 30 sec surges every mile

After yesterdays run I had been told(& I knew myself) to cut this short if things got on top of me, well what a difference a day makes. Set out early for this whilst everyone slept, the sun was shinning & I had downloaded a Blindboy podcast that I've been meaning to listen to for a while, about him being diagnosed with Autism late in life. 1hr & 30mins flew by, he was very very honest in it & I really enjoyed it. I even passed through the Graveyard & past my da, as I have been doing on my longer runs, it gives me great comfort, probably weird to others but really helps me. The route is by no means easy, a lot of uphill through Kingswood & then back up Belgard so I felt it in my legs but nothing too bad thankfully, just normal long run tiredness. Gulped my chocolate milk & Lucozade when I got home, absolutely soaked again but happy!

Really pleased with how most of the past 2 weeks has gone, over 50miles this week & increasing as the weeks go by. It is getting a little harder to juggle everything being back in the office full time but I will always get the runs done!

Less than 100 days to go till Dublin, all I want is to be able to put in a really good block of training that I am proud of(& of course S😉)

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

Jeez, Lainey. Nice couple of weeks there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Really solid couple of weeks E. Also love how much your enthusiasm always shines through your updates. Must look up that Podcast sounds like an interesting listen. Keep up the super work, really excited for your DCM journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great training E and agree with the other E on the enthusiasm shining through.

I was considering setting up a thread to keep track of what boardsies were training for DCM. Maybe a table with usernames, target times, what plan they were following ...but I quickly realised how limited my Boards skills are when I tried to put a table together. Would be good to see who's who for DCM.

Unfortunately the new Boards doesn't do tables. 😤 You could set it up with a link to a Google sheet or something, the way the 1,000 mile challenge works. No better man. 😉

Cheers E & P, glad it shows but like everyone else I do have the bad days but thankfully they are few & far between 😊 E you should give it a listen, a really honest insight into being diagnosed so late in his life. He does a lot of podcasts around mental health etc so gonna give a few more a listen.

I think that would be a great idea for a thread P, be great to see who else id doing it😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Super 5k my goodness. Will your marathon training be EIM based or moving onto a different plan?

Ah thanks a mill, still chuffed😊

Yes my marathon training will be EIM based, I really enjoy it & hoping I will see the rewards in DCM😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Great, I'm really enjoying it as well, very chill training

• Advertisement

Mon 25th - Rest

Tues 26th - W/u, 4*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec, C/d

Got out after work for this, with this being a down week I enjoyed the fact that it was only 4*1k reps.

Weds 27th - W/u, 20mins threshold(6:46/55) C/d

Again was happy to see the shorter distance but wasn't quite sure how well I would manage it. I decided to this in my local park, just looping it. The 1st few mins into it felt a bit hard, but this happens to me quite a lot. Once I got a rhythm going it felt really good & controlled. Happy with how it went.

Thurs 28th - W/u, 5*400's, 5*200's, 5* Hills, C/d

Did the usual route for this & again enjoyed it. Enjoying how controlled & focused I feel during the 200's, 400's & hill reps!

Fri 29th - W/u,4*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec, C/d

Was on a half day so headed out to the PP. Decided to do these on the Furze loop. Really enjoyed the change of scenery for these, was very humid out so I was soaked with sweat but overall very enjoyable!

Sat 30th - W/u, 12*400's, C/d

Having a bit of a tough couple of weeks, missing my da so much. Decided to head down to the park beside Newlands cemetery to do this, I know my da is around me all the time but for some reason I just wanted to be here. Listened to his playlist & got the 400's done. One side of the park was a little tougher to do them but overall it was good. There were lots of tears & smiles as the different songs that have so many memories behind them came on. Glad I know how to deal with these emotions a bit better now, it's just so tough thinking this was his last week alive a year ago & none of us had a clue...

Sun 31st - Sunday Progression run(30mins@8:57-9:15,30mins@7:54-8:08,30mins@7:06-7:17)

Not gonna lie, was a bit nervous when I seen this as the one I did a couple of weeks didn't go perfectly! Set out for this early enough & decided on my usual route that would leave me back to the local park for roughly the last 20mins. I just knew I couldn't face the KT road for the faster parts if it was too windy etc so the park was the better option. I settled into it quite early on & felt good as each of the 10mins went by. I gently picked up the paces for each of the 10min sections which was how I decided to run it with guidance from S, it meant I wasn't increasing the pace too drastically for any of the sections. I got to the park feeling really good, this was going so much better than the 1st one(thank god) I lapped the park a few times & actually finished it strongly, I went out of the park for the C/D feeling quite smug with myself😊

A good week, defo taking confidence from it. Need to start looking at my own hydration & gels etc for my longer runs to practice for DCM, currently I don't take anything on any of my runs & I did find it tough a bit later in Manchester to stomach the high 5 gels so will start looking at other ones to try!

221 miles ran for the month of July, not too shabby😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great qeek and month E. Tipping along nicely.

With the gels it's definitely worth at least trying the SIS gels. I think they can be got from Holland and Barrett and science in sport websites . I have a sensitive stomach and I found them really good. Not overly sickly and I didn't need to take water with them as they weren't overly thick. That being said I didn't manage any beyond 17 miles but that would have happened with anything I took that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’m starting to think about the fueling too. I’ve been using Tailwind the last couple of years as really gentle on the tummy but fine when I can carry it in a hydration pack. I carried a 300ml soft flask in my pocket for the Cork half and just had a sip every mile but you’d need a lot more for a full marathon. I did use the Maurten gels before and they worked well, have you tried them?

The only gels i've ever used & tried is the high 5 ones. They worked fine for DCM but as I said I couldn't really stomach more than a couple in Manchester. Will get a few new brands & try them out on my long runs, cheers😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Nope, Week 3 episode, at 24:05. Go and have a listen back!

Mon Aug 2nd - Rest Day

Tues 3rd - W/u,40mins tempo - 7:06/7:17, C/d

Day off work so set off in the afternoon, was a little nervous about doing this but it went really well, pace & efforts felt very controlled.

Weds 4th - W/u,strides, 6*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec(no walks), C/d

After work for this, felt very strong for this.

Thurs 5th - W/u, 5*400's, 5*200's, 5* Hills, C/d

My fav run back around again!

Fri 5th - W/u,strides, 4*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec, C/d

Out early for this, nice to have it done.

Sat 6th - W/u,60mins @7:54/8:08, C/d

Another beautiful day. Decided to do this in Corkagh Park, a few laps around the park - very enjoyable. Meet my daughter & grandson after & had a stroll around the markets & of course bought him lots of goodies...sure what are nannies for!

Sun 7th - Sunday Long run - 17miles with slight surges every mile

My mind was occupied with all the thoughts of my da, the what ifs, the memories, the laughs & of course the tears. It had been a tough week, tougher than I imagined but I think I handled it as well as can be expected. I wasn't afraid to cry or sit with my emotions but I also knew when to move on & do the every day normal things that come with life - I think about my da all the time but this was just a little harder💛

My run went well, decided to try some more fuelling, that didn't go too well. I had a raspberry flavour gel from decathalon which when taken with my drink that had a fruit tab in it didn't go well together at all, it was way too sweet! I had a fruit jelly bar for mile 10 & that was much easier to digest, not so sweet, really regretted not just bringing water so noted for my next long run.

Mon 8th - Rest

Tues 9th - W/u, 3*10mins Threshold(6:46/6:55), 4min rec, C/d

Managed this pretty well given the heat, ran the recoveries a lot slower due to it.

Weds 10th - W/u, 4*2k with 800 jog rec, C/d

Another run after work, felt strong on this run. Running in the sunshine just makes everything feel better!

Thurs 21st - W/u, 5*400's, 5*200's, 5* Hills, C/d

Yes my fav run comes around again, only thing was I didn't feel as zippy for this, not used to running early in the mornings anymore.

Fri 12th - W/u,6*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec,C/d

Another glorious day, another great run.

Sat 13th - W/u, 60mins@7:54/8:08, slight surge every 10 mins, C/d

Out for this after my class, thought I might feel a bit tired but wasn't too bad at all.

Sun 14th - Sunday Long Run - 17:79miles @8:48 - slight surge every mile

Set off for this on a gorgeous Sunday morning in the PP. Met S just before the HITW & we set off around some of the Dublin Marathon route. Seen AMK & C from around here, always good to see smiley faces. Not gonna lie I didn't remember some of the route at all, so I told S that I must have ran with my eyes closed or because I'm so small I just couldn't see over all the people running around me! Was so good to have some company again, it really makes a huge difference. Tried out a different gel this time but took the bar 1st with just water, then the gel with caffeine at about mile 12, delighted that it actually felt good. Will keep practicing to know what works best for me. Overall very happy with this run!

Mon 15th - Rest

Tues 16th - W/u, 8*4mins@CV(6:28/6:36) 3mins rec, C/d

Decided to this this on the loop in the park across from me. 1st rep felt a bit tough for part of it, tried to just focus on getting my breathing, legs, arms all working in tandem. Once I settled into it I found it to be quite satisfying. I felt like I was pushing the effort but in a very controlled way, if I felt I was tiring I made sure to focus solely on my stride, lately this has helped me to gain some more speed without emptying myself. Finished my cooldown feeling quite pleased with myself😊

Weds 17th - W/u,4*1k @152/157bpm with 800 jog rec,C/d

Back WFH 2 days a week for now so great to be able to get this done on my lunch. Nice & controlled, again great to see the paces I do for these reps now.

FD 10mile on Sat morning. Not really too sure how I'm feeling about it, maybe a bit meh if I'm being honest! I'm sure as it gets closer I will start getting excited about racing it. It looks like a tough enough course but I'm sure I'll be grand. Time wise I'm not really too sure what to think, I have only ever ran 1 10mile race, the FD back in 2019 with a time of 1:23. I'll turn up & give it my best(hopefully)

Best of luck to anyone else racing it too😊

83 mins? Whatever happens you'll be smashing that to smithereens anyway. Are you sure you didn't run 73 mins? 😉

My watch didn't sync properly so strava only has 9 miles for that race - official chip time was 1:22:09 - sure I was a nobody back then😉🤣😜

• Advertisement

Kidding of course. Terrific debut. Better than mine anyway!

Advertisement