Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Did we have a sweeper today? I though Gerard Smith was one of the better performers ,he kicked a couple of great scores and got on a sight of ball.. We were very slow and laboured as a team overall....We aren't getting anywhere near enough out of James Smith and Thomas Galligan. Definitely needs a change in tactics and positioning to get the best out of them.

I thought Killian Clarke was good around centre field, turned over ball ,hit all around him.

Gearoid came into it in the second half too.

I feel like there's just far more within the team as a whole that we have seen on rare occasions, Ulster Championship in 2020, second half against Monaghan and Down,final against Donegal,first 45-50minutes against Donegal this year etc,

The maddening part is that we know what they are capable off,but over past two years, they have rarely shown anything more than glimpses of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Still bitterly disappointed after yesterday

Watched the last 15 mins of it again last night albeit in a drunken haze

The sending off lost us that game no 2 ways about it

We did a lot of things right through the game but conceding every kick out with a half arsed push up at times was just criminal

We just seemed too bunched up front and westmeath done their homework well and dragged Galligan and smith out to the wings all too often

I thought Martin Reilly not starting was a big mistake and our sweeper wasn't that effective

It was a great game for a neutral, good quality football and a great atmosphere

we'll dust ourselves off and go again and give it a rattle again next year

its our level I'm afraid and will be for the next few seasons

i like this competition and would be lying if i said i wasn't green with envy of the celebrations in mullingar last night

Lastly if Mickey has run out of road thanks for 2020 but it maybe just time to freshen up things a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Also on a side note it was very disappointing to see some of the cavan players head to the dressing room mid presentation, I know they were hurting but ffs man up and show a little respect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

What do you want him to do, drive forward into a blanket defence? You need to try and draw the opposition out.

Gerry Smith was our best player yesterday I thought. He and McLoughlin, unlike others, never hid. Paddy Lynch tried hard and I also thought Gunner and Faulkner did as well as they could given how open our defence was.

How management allowed O’Toole to continue to have such a say on proceedings I’ll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Take on his man the odd time and try and pull some some of there other defenders towards him and make room for others. Mackey used to be able to do it along with McVeety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Gerry was class, 3 lovely points too. Paddy Lynch scored three crackers. Should have had Jayo on O Toole from the start, he really quietened him when moved onto him but he had scored 4 from play at that stage and a lot was going through him. I think we are really missing the Holla from 2020, not just at that pitch yet.

Mackey & McVeety weren’t expected to cover the ground a player like him does. Smith is end to end. Management seemed to have told him to play deeper yesterday also. I’m not sure to be honest why you’re singling out who many people see as our best performers when there were plenty of others didn’t pull their weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Gerry Smith was our best player yesterday, bizarre to pick him out as being a problem.

Never said you weren’t but its poor analysis that the one player you have picked out to criticise was arguably our best performer yesterday. For me, it would be between him and Jason McLoughlin for player of the year.

• Advertisement

I critised him for slowing down the game and standing soloing when he off all our players has ability and pace to take on his opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,887 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I thought the Cavan defence was very poor yesterday. They let Martin waltz through with barely a hand put on him. They were fortunate not to concede at least two more goals with the Westmeath forwards happy to take points instead of going for goals. I was also surprised at how easy the likes of O’Toole could sprint past the Cavan players and race upfield at a pace the Cavan players couldn’t match. Very slow on sideline to make changes or try to change things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Having now saw the challenge again on TV, I agree with the red card. It is what cost us the game but the ref was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

It's a real shame that of our 6 championship games, Saturday was the one where we completely failed to show up. I thought we lacked any sort of intensity and played spells like it was a challenge match and not a final. We seemed totally unable to cope with a blanket defence, yet that's all we came up against in the league. We looked nervy (hand passes going astray, kick passes way off) and tactically we made some poor calls and worse still, took too long to rectify them (Jason should have been on O'Toole from the start). Westmeath simply wanted it more and you could see it in the celebrations in Mullingar. Honest question- would there have been a homecoming like that if we won? I think it just meant more to them and the played to the occasion- fair play to them, they were the better and hungrier team on the day.

AND YET- we showed enough grit to work our way into the game and when we got the goal and followed up with two big points I thought Westmeath had flagged and we were in the ascendancy. We looked like we had found our mojo and had tightened up a the back considerably. And then Galligan gets sent off for a senseless foul and we fell apart. I am convinced that if he stays on the field we win the game.

Post edited by baconsarnie on

He was one of the few you could say played well, but in reality no one was outstanding. We looked like a team that had over trained. We were leggy and lacked any sense of urgency. Aside from Gerry, Jason and Killian Clarke put in big shifts. I thought the Gunner did a good job on Heslin and Faulkner did well and his never say die attitude almost got us over the line. Gearoid and Paddy Lynch alongside Gerry Smith our only attacking threats. A lot of players didn't get out of second gear at all. Credit to Westmeath, they had a good game plan and everyone worked their socks off. We were as flat as a pancake when we should have been flying out of the blocks like we did against Antrim, Donegal and Down. You would have hoped for a final that we would leave it all out there but the reality of it was we were second best in almost everything- and the annoying thing is that we are way better than that performance.

I really hope that the panel and management take a pause and that no one makes any rash decisions about their futures. Yes, it was disappointing to have YET AGAIN left silverware behind us in a game that we could have won, but I would prefer not to have people walk away just because of that disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

I think Mickey should stay on try to get us out of division three and onto the championship proper next year.

Although if he does walk away who do ye think should get the job ? Michael McDermott would be a decent shout, plays good football, intercounty experience and a hell of a record in Championships. Again won club championship with a very young team,

Bring back Terry Hyland ? Great eye for talent, could really bring on the young fellas and did manage to get us to division one.

Any other opinions lads ?

I definitely think he should stay on. Sometimes there is a knee-jerk to a bad result and think that the only option is change, but I think we've seen enough progress this year and the players clearly buy into this approach. I would hate to think we had to start again from scratch and if we did, we probably would see a lot of change in terms of player turnover. Mickey Graham sounded very flat after the final and on the WAC match day diary did say he would have to think about whether he could commit to another year. Hopefully with a few weeks break he will be convinced to stay on and continue for a few more years.

Do you believe we've seen progress this year? I've asked myself that question, in fact the question really is have we seem progress since 2020. I think you'd have to be very optimistic to say yes to that. We scraped our way out of Div4. We beat a woeful Antrim before losing by 6 points to a Donegal on the way down. We looked wide open at the back in a number of Tailtean games, especially the semi final and we repeated the same in the final. I think a lot rode on that final as to whether we are going in the right direction and we got our answer, Cavan are sadly a team in decline in my opinion.

One bad performance, especially the final game of the season, will tend to dominate the analysis, but taking a step back I think there was progress. Division four was always a case of getting out straight away. Mission accomplished- even if the performances weren't great, it was the results that mattered. Paddy Lynch was backed during the league and has now established himself as our top forward. We played some great football in our championship games, barring the final. Antrim were being talked up a lot before we trounced them. Donegal have been the most consistent team in Ulster for the last decade and we went toe to toe with them until they scabbed a goal, and if we had taken our goal chances when we were on top in the first half, then who knows? We didn't, but you can't knock the performance that day and the football we played was scintillating.

Aside from Saturday's flat performance you can easily argue that James Smith, Gerry Smith, Conor Brady and Jason all are continuing to improve. The Holla will hopefully be back to his best next year. Killian Clarke was very consistent over the year in the middle and Gearoid clearly has plenty to give. Cian Madden definitely has the tools to be a top player and has shown glimpses of that in his debut season.

I agree that during the Tailteann we seemed to ditch any defensive structure and the model seemed to be that we would outscore anyone, which was fun to watch but came unstuck at the weekend. Defensively we clearly need to do a fair bit of work but assuming there aren't wholescale retirements, the panel is in good shape. There's lads like McKenna and some of hte u20s who will have benefited from S&C training.

On the downside there are players who are coming to the end of their time but hopefully the likes of Cian Reilly, Carolan and a few of the u20s are eased into the side through the league next year. We really need someone like Conor Madden or Conor Smith to do what Lynch did this year as we need James Smith out the middle in my opinion if Thomas Galligan isn't firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Whatever he does he needs to make that call inside the next few days if he intends to go. With possible retirements coming thick and fast this club championship could be vital to unearthing some lads to step up to the county team. Whatever happens a new management team and selectors needs to be in place by the second round of games at the very latest..

• Advertisement

If he is unsure whether he will commit for one more year and that is all he is willing to give i think he should go now and let the county board appoint a new manager in the next few weeks if they can find the right candidate.

I think he is more than entitled to take a bit of time to consider his future. Ideally he stays and can commit for another 2 years at least. It's a huge undertaking in terms of commitment and anyone who has a job and family sacrifices so much. What is needed now is continuity, especially if we see a few lads hang up their boots.

I’d have to second the sentiments of this post to be honest. The last two games, scraping past Sligo, and then losing by 4 points to Westmeath, leave a bad taste in the mouth.

We didn’t set the world alight in the League either and 2021 was an unmitigated disaster.

It’s hard to know where this management team go from here. Our tactics are baffling at times and we’ve been overtaken by teams in Ulster like Armagh & Derry. What has Ricey brought to the table? Defensively we’ve been poor this year. All of us knew we had an issue with teams running at us throughout the Tailteann Cup ahead of the final but management ignored it.

If Mickey is staying, I would be giving a one year term on the basis we need to get out of Division 3 next year.

We need more than one year though and going by previous years it would be geared for championship and not bothered with league. He needs to commit to at least two years if he is staying on I feel but I would be open for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

I thought we'd keep at the level we showed for the first 55 mins against Donegal but we could only manage to play well in fits and starts since then with the defence worryingly open. Saturday was the acid test for me as to what level we are at, I was hoping it would be the level we showed against Donegal but it was a poor performance. Defence still leaky and it was poor tactically. Jayo should have been on O'Toole from the start but at the very least moved onto him after the first few points when Conor Brady was no where near him. Think the Holla in top form is showing what a big loss he has been.

If Mickey does go the Bull McCabe will have the head up for it which is something i wouldn't be getting excited about.

I wonder about the mccabe thing. I knew dermot back in school and for sure he can be as thick as an ass BUT have things improved since he left, as conventional wisdom had it that he was the problem? If Mickey stays I think his forwards and defensive coaches should be exited as clearly neither has had success and I'm not one bit surprised by that.

Mickey has reversed his opinion on the league, he alleges, after the restructure with the tighter season.

He may well need to consult the panel. I’ve heard a few weren’t happy with their treatment on Saturday.

Even if Mickey got two years, I would be putting in a stipulation that it is to be reviewed after one year unless promotion is obtained. Teams like Derry, Armagh & Galway have illustrated the need for playing in the top divisions.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

I wouldn't say anything has improved.

Mickey has the men around him that he wanted so to change them now would be admitting that he got the appointments wrong. I think his loyalty to Niall Murray will cause him problems with buy in from some players if he does stay on.

• Advertisement

Hearing this evening club championship could be delayed until August 23rd. Why in gods name are they doing that?

Advertisement