Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want a general election now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Yes I want a general election now.

World Economic Forum one of klaus'es little lap dogs like Trudeau but lower down the greasy pole ! But none the less climbing up that greasy pole at OUR expense !

No I don't want a general election now.

Oh, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I think there were lots of civil servants and legal experts on both sides. The Irish government didn't do much direct negotiation.

The way its gone I'm not sure previous relationships with the UK made much difference or are you saying the whole northern ireland protocol issue would be even worse now because British Irish relations are not exactly at anything close to a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in SF that that they misjudged this so badly, yet again all talk but never did the research or work to make sure this motion had a chance of passing.

No. Not necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spontindeed

Constituent voters need to dump fake independent TD's like Matt Shanahan, Cathal Berry, Richard Ó’Donoghue, Peter Fitzpatrick, Marc MacSharry and Denis Naughten. These Independent TD's voted for Government, as expected (many of them are former members of the Government parties). It proves that they don't have morals. In most other Countries, Independent TD's like these would've voted against the Government. Only in Ireland...

#Kildare-South, #Limerick-County, #Louth, #Roscommon-Galway, #Waterford, #Sligo-Leitrim

Post edited by spontindeed on

TBH, I hope the British Government scraps the NI protocol because it benefits Irish consumers who can head north to buy lower-priced goods thus starving penny-pinching Varadkar's Government of VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

You've mentioned six TDs there. Three of them didn't vote with the government.

One was abroad, one voted against and another abstained (what's the point).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Not a big fan of those elected just abstaining in votes just doing nothing except seeing how things go to keep on the safe side .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Not sure exactly why but id say we were so low in the last recession that the only way was up from there.

Our exports boomed

Min wage was something like €8.65ph

People emigrated and some brought back savings and spent it.

Multi national tech companies came and invested heavily.

Our national debt has almost tripled i believe to over €250 billion. I don't think that's a measure of success.

• Advertisement

Abstaining is effectively voting with Government. Matt Shanahan for example did this but I think most people knew from his track record that he is a Government supporter. Voters need to be extremely careful whenever an Independent runs for election in their constituency. If in doubt, don't transfer your vote to them. Always conduct research on the background of any Independent candidate to see if they are former members of any political party and usually that will tell you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You're in an echo-chamber of one there spontindeed.

Suggesting constituency voters not vote for certain independents because they may support the Government is beyond naive.

You don't think the good people of Tipp vote for Mick Lowry in huge numbers each time because he fails to deliver for his Constituency, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Whoever voted for anyone they didn't think could benefit them be it because of the individual or the party they represent.

For example historically it was said FF was good for the small farmers and FG for the big farmers.

It doesn't matter whether it was true or not but there probably wasn't many small farmers voting FG or many big ones FF if they believed it to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I'd love to see Mary Sue show what sinn fein have done in Northern Ireland over the past few years - especially in the many areas they have council control.

Feck all

I have family up there. Had been living outside Craigavon for the past 12 months (back in the south since last week) and they are considered to be utterly appalling.

It's why the thinking classes voted for the Alliance.

But up north, sinn fein have been pathetic and the homeless situation is far far worse than in the south. And it is especially prevalent in Sinn fein council areas of Belfast Derry and Strabane.

National debt has indeed exceeded €240 billion (last figure I heard from the. NTMA) €40 billion of which was on Covid measures.

Thanks to the careful targetting of that funding, to keep jobs open and businesses alive, as well as the highly effective public health measures, the economy and indeed the society has remained strongly resilient and activity has bounced back beyond all predicted metrics.

As for the debt, yes the number is high, but thanks to the huge growth, not just in GDP, but in mGNI reflecting domestic activity, the national debt is fast reducing as a percentage of the size of the economy and thats the main takeaway.

I hear there on the news that Bernard Durkan (FG) has Covid and was refused a pairing arrangement by (childish) Sinn Féin. So really, tonight's vote should have been 86 to 66, just for the record.

See you for the election in Feb 2025.

It only kicked the can down the road lad.

That money has to be repayed sometime sooner rather than later and I struggle to see how it will be without wrecking havoc.

40 billion was borrowed to keep businesses shut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Just catching up. So after all the hot air and BS and decent amount of social media clicks they easily coasted through the vote and are soon off on the summer holidays.

What a waste of time.

Mary-Lou is a disaster and has to go.

To proceed with the motion of no confidence was a catastrophic decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No,

it costs millions to run a general election.

the likelihood is the same two parties will end up back in government.

So that’s a rather expensive tab for the taxpayers to be picking up, just to get the same FF/FG set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Nah it kept the online supporters busy for a few days.

Any other party supporters would be wondering what the f**k they are up to but we actually see supporters on here thinking this was a great thing to do. Mind boggling

• Advertisement

A waste of time when they could be actually doing their jobs. This is exactly the same as SF up the North, fart around doing nothing all the time and then blame everyone else.

If only I could gift you 1 millions "Thanks" I would

You are 100% spot on.

I would expect the usual point

SF = good

everyone else = bad

Who's kicking anything down the road?

The Exchequer's ability to bear increased borrowing and service it more cheaply and more effectively is greater than it ever has been, thanks to the expanding economy and increasing population.

Ireland's problem in the past was pro-cyclical fiscal policy. And although inflationary risks need careful minding, the best thing the Government can do now, in this time of global slowdown and challenging conditions, is invest.

Accurate.

I watched a bit of the early debate and it was evident she hardly believed her own bullsh1t that she was reading out.

A massive tactical misstep and just the sort of thing that leadership rumbles are made of.

To be honest she should have got the boot in the local election in 2019 when SF got a hammering.

Then going into the 2020 election totally misread the situation and didn't run enough candidates

Then after that, went out and proclaimed to the press she would be the next Taoiseach, then of course went into hiding because SF didn't want to be in government during Covid.

But who would replace her?

Ah lad if you can't see the consequences or problems of borrowing money forever to run the country there's no point.

You're taking meaning from my post that I haven't said.

All Countries, bar a few oil sheikhdoms, borrow. It is the tool that balances peaks and troughs in the economy. It is the financing for infrastructure and strategic investment.

We have the FAC and the NTMA and the ESRI and the Central Bank and the Euro Central Bank and the IMF and the European Commission and the OECD, all keeping a watching brief on borrowing policy and there have been very few reservations expressed across the whole pandemic and war/energy crisis about the Government approach.

A lot of what was added to the Government debt isn't just sovereign borrowing, its interest free stimulus from the EU €750 billion fund, the first created on the EU's own sovereign assets.

We are in a massively fortunate position to be able this flexibility to see us out of the difficult decade ahead by targetted investment, in people and services.

As An Tánaiste said earlier, Sinn Féin don't seem to realise that there is a cake and that their policies will make the cake smaller for everyone and bring the prosperity that the Nation does enjoy, to a crashing halt.

Wheel see about all this in time lad, I'm not to optimistic that this is going to end well.

As for the eating cake thing, we all no what happens when we eat too much of it.

When the economy is booming, you take money out. When the economy is in serious headwinds (which as one of the most open in the World, ours is) you spend, spend, spend baby.

The clever bit is knowing when to be doing one and not the other, which I wouldn't trust SF to know in a million years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Will Paddy Cosgrave run for SF next time out?

Advertisement