Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roaming 48 network in UK/Europe

• 17-06-2022 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Has anybody been able to get the 48 network in roaming?

I am currently in Italy and can't get it work

I also tried in Northern ireland recently and it didnt work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭hanloj1

My wife is having same issue right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Have you changed settings through the sim toolkit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭hanloj1

Yeah she has tried that. No joy. They recommended turning off 3g and still nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

There are other threads about 48 now pretty much devoted to this issue. Since Covid I’ve been to UK good few times and never had an issue but went to Spain at Easter and had issues. Nothing for a couple of days but then started working when I went to the other end of resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JAMCAR

Hi all sorry for jumping on board your tread as I didn't want to start another tread about 48. Any help with this id very much appreciate it

I'm off to Germany for a few weeks in July.

the problem is I'm with 48 mobile network, and they only support 2G and 3G roaming in Germany.

Germany have turned off there 3G Network and 48 only supports 2G there, now.

looks like I'll have to buy a different irish Network, Sim to have data roaming there can anyone recommend the best one for data 

Tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

Ive been all around Europe and stuck in many sticky situations due to 48. After trying everything, it simply doesnt work aborad. Roaming is a heap of sh... when it comes to 48. Best think you can do is leave them, no roaming issues with EIR at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've had very bad experiences also, but it does often eventually worm for me after repeatedly trying the same settings and once it starts to work it will last for a day or so before I have to mess with again. Krakow, Belfast and London all were the same for me recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

Looks like issue is with operators like 48, Tesco mobile and Lyca mobile which are using 3 network in Ireland. European countries like Germany and Netherlands have turned off 3g network. I was in Amsterdam few days ago and both my tesco mobile & lyca mobile were stuck with 2g. It won't connect to a 4g network. Customer service of both companies have no clue about the issue.

To ensure Tesco Mobile customers continue to get the best experience when abroad, we have invested in a 4G roaming solution and have been working that for the last year", the spokesperson added.

This is currently available to bill pay customers on the network, and will roll out for pre-pay customers this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Would this not be a violation of EU roaming directives? Surely not offering roaming is more unacceptable than overcharging for roaming?

I'm on the €7.99 deal which I really don't want to give up, but data in Ireland is dodgy at the best of times and the second I cross the border you can forget about it entirely. Same with travelling abroad the signal just goes dead and I'm lucky to get 2g back.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Was in spain recently and used this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns4oixcKKVQ&ab_channel=48 - and it worked for me perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My experience over the last year with 48 roaming has been-

Portugal- didnt work

Belgium- didnt work

Uk- didnt work

France- did work

I followed all the guides on 48.ie about APN settings in the SIM toolkit app on the phone and it still didnt work in 3 out of those 4 countries. It is basically useless for roaming because you cannot depend on it. In Portugal it left me high and dry for data to get from the airport to where I needed to go, same in Belgium. In the UK as soon as I landed I checked it and it wasnt working. I sat down in the airport doing all the APN stuff again and it still wouldnt work. I ended up having to buy a Lyca sim for £25 in the airport over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mick McCarthys Baby

Hi , I’m On the 7.99 deal with 48.ie and it works perfectly for me here but going on hols to Portugal for 2 weeks and don’t want the issues people have mentioned.

is it possible to buy a months sim only with other network ( and change my number over )and then go back to using my 48.ie when home?

No you'll lose the 7.99 deal if you switch network. Better off just buying a PAYG SIM and not changing your number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭airy fairy

My daughter is on the €7.99 with 48. She went to Portugal yesterday, came off the plane,she had roaming,10 minutes later it was gone. Unfortunately for her she has a glucose sensor on her for her blood sugars, and relies on the phone for readings. (Type 1 diabetic). She is currently using her friends hotspot to give her connection.

My friend went to Scotland earlier, has no connection to 48 either.

I'd suggest everyone start reporting them to comreg, especially your daughter. They're in clear violation of EU law.

Guess I'll be bringing another SIM with me on holidays then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Seems the problem is widespread now, they are admitting that roaming in Germany, Czezh and Holland doesnt work but also admitting that people are having trouble in other countries without naming them, from the thread here we know there have been issues in NI & UK, Belgium, Spain and Portgual.

They should really be informing their customers via text of these problems becasue as it is many dont know until they walk out the door of their airport and need to use data to check transport options but are left high and dry. Its really sh1tty behaviour to do that to people, it has the potential to ruin your holiday.

Started to look at other options. Clearly not worth the hassle anymore. Unacceptable in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nanunanu

I had this problem since november but finally got it working. There is a 48sim app on you phone click on this then click on when abroad, then click on manual, then click on international. When you come home you do the same but click on local instead of international to get your service back. If it doesnt work when you do this go into access providers and then give the settings they suggest for android or apple on the 48site to put in. With both of theses it should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Got stung a few weeks back up north. Stopped off for food.

Was supposed to ring someone on arrival. Phone wasn't working so couldn't get in touch.

Sat outside McDonalds for over an hour trying to get signal and everything kept saying restricted or something like that.

Needed google maps but no data so ended up driving around in circles for ages. Disaster.

I ordered a free lyca sim last week. Phone has two slots. So next time I'll bang in a 10 or 20 euro top up and I'll just set data to that sim and leave calls on my 48 sim (if it works). lyca works perfect abroad, changes automatically by country on arrival and no messing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone PAYG 5GB / €5 add on is possibly a better option for roaming data. Lyca have a data add on for same price with 3GB allowance.

Vodafone SIM stays active for 8 months before needling another top up, AFAIK Lyca SIM needs top up every 3 months (unless that has changed recently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

How do I get a data sim ??? Need one for holidays ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

Hi, I had this issue with 48 in Spain before and I had to modify the APN for it to work. Every couple of days or so it would reset itself again but once I knew the issue I would just modify it manually each time. Basically you need to delete all in the APN mobile information you have and set a new one as below:

Name: 48 Internet

APN: 48months.liffetytelecom.com

Save it and it would connect. Hopefully this helps you guys, I really don't understand why they are not able to fix this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

WHere do I go to get a europe data sim ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭dannijuno

48 roaming doesnt work , either get a new sim for travel or change network. I've had a horrendous experience with 48 abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I am retired, so I would be a light user but I need data especially when abroad,

48.ie just does not do the job, I have been let down badly when in Spain and the Canaries, heading to Uk next month so I don’t want to have to this problem again what is the best network for home and abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I was in the UK a few weeks back. We had a GoMo phone , a Vodafone phone and a An Post phone. All worked flawlessly.

Just not worth the hassle anymore, was grand for the Covid non travel years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭spakman

Advertisement