Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Protest in the Netherlands by Farmers.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think at some point anyway, we will have to deal with it. We'll have little choice. Though the worry is that point will come when it's too late. People are very "local" and short term in our thinking. If it isn't hitting us now and in front of us, we tend to at best pay lip service to it happening elsewhere or in some future.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The green movement, like many before it in the past, has been co-opted by corporate interests looking to make a quick buck.

Thats why you have players like Gates buying farmland and pushing for less cattle, while also investing heavily in fake meats. Its about making money.

Same as how nuclear energy was to be shut in Germany and the shortfall made up by gas, for those pulling the string and advocating for X policy its ultimately about making money.

The largest scale farmers will get by okay from all this, if anything they will benefit as it will make smaller farms non-viable, which then allows big farmers to amass more land and market share. I wouldnt be surprised if certain big scale farms are lobbying this particular green policy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I see that post was thanked 30 times or so. Essentially because of Science! or the Green Religion, a highly food producing economic sector needs to be destroyed. The fallout of the Russian invasion of Ukraine (in the wake of which Russia, PRC and India use food and fertiliser as diplomatic weapons and its grain cannot be sufficiently export and is oft stolen by Russia, who themselves are a vast grain producer and do not need to do that) has shown how weak world food supplies are at present. Perhaps some of these Green true believers need an Irish farm and lorry strike or blockade, resulting in shortages, to awake them to reality, but it might just make them sneer harder at the unenlightened poors. A strike and blockade might happen, given how the Glasraí (they're veggies) want to essentially destroy cattle farming and the road haulage sector while FF-Fine Gael probably care more about their careers right now than farmer voter outrage. Sustainability just means the sort of high cost hobby techniques which would make food scarce and unaffordable. Making already pressed people pay for heating and travel, banning turf sales isn't enough. Irish people need to suffer, must be their thinking.

At least the people struck back a little against the Green 'sustainable' agenda in Sri Lanka (which had wrecked the agri sector and ultimately crashing their economy):

https://www.themorning.lk/president-says-fertiliser-policy-opposed-by-entrenched-lobbies/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah I have zero faith in us dealing with it though. Look how the country goes mental over things like turf or restricting cars from somewhere, we have become too soft and wont accept anything that inconveniences even a little. The only future I foresee is more and more wars over resources, as per usual, with widespread famines here and there across the globe. Yay!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You do realise that Irish beef farming is relatively sustainable compared to the Netherlands. The animals here barely go outside because there isn’t enough grass to feed them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

5 of the world top 6 by GDP are USA, China, Japan, Germany and India. Those 5 are responsible for 56% of CO2 global emissions. For 4 of them that is primarily due to coal burning electricity power plants and they have no intention of changing as for them it is a cheap energy source driving their economies. Even Germany, for long that example held up to us by Irish greens as too who we should be emulating, are back mining and buying coal from Columbia and exploring for oil and gas, so their CO2 emissions aren`t going to go lower either.

Here our greens solutions to climate change, not happy with the damage they are doing to our economy in general, also want to cut Irish cattle herds by 30% and ruin our agriculture sector as well based on, "we will show all those others by us leading by example". The major economies could not give a toss about our "example" and are protecting their economies by all means possible.

Irish greens and the Irish Green party in particular are like the farmer telling his neighbour that he was unsure from looking at a young male animal`s head if he would make a good bull. The neighbour told him he was looking at the wrong end of the beast.

But Ireland is part of the EU, which is 500 million people, there are EU climate targets, that's hardly irrelevant?

I was unaware of any plans to cull the amount of cattle, is this going to happen? Surely FF/FG wouldn't allow that to happen? I think you overestimate how much power the Greens have, I am pretty sure the herd is increasing rather than decreasing.

Do you just think the EU or even no one should try and decrease emissions because other countries will carry on doing the same as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Ireland should say that they will start on agriculture once Germany implements a sped limit on motorways and once they phase out lignite for power generation

this muppet posting years old Tweets from Poland, but it's all a MSM cover up don't you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Barely

When they give coverage equal to Boris etc

They ain't covering it because they don't want people talking about the insanity of the Dutch government's climate policy. They don't want people thinking to hard.

• Advertisement

It seems pretty expected that Ireland and the UK would be far more interested in the Boris Johnson situation. It has a pretty direct and immediate impact upon us.

I'm also guessing the vast majority in Ireland have a pretty minimal interest in either the Canada Convoy or this. Hence limited coverage on this.

Well if the reporters and broadcasters did there job and asked them farmers and truckers why are yee protesting lads, what's the issue here yee seem very upset

Maybe more people might have an interest and discuss it after hearing those view points.

China has close to 3 times the population of the EU. So does India and both have made it clear that when it`s a choice between CO2 emissions from coal burning and their economies, their economies win hands down. Japan, a country on it`s own with one quarter of the population of the EU the same.

To add insult to injury green ideology is driving the Chinese use of coal. China is the world leader in solar panel production and are not just using coal as an energy source to produce them but slave labour as we. They are also predicted to become world leaders in EVs. Even Germany is getting in on the act. Back to burning coal and exploring for oil and gas. Finland back to harvesting peat for generating electricity. Here we have exploration banned, (other than strangely for old and silver), thanks to the Green Party, attempting to ban LNG, and faffing about on communities of 500 or less being allowed by law to sell or gift turf only within those communities.

If you do not know that the Irish Green party are pushing for a 30% reduction of our cattle herd then you need to get out more. And it`s a poor half arsed excuse that FF and FG should not allow that to happen. Citing the EU as the reason for such reduction in herd numbers doesn`t hold much water either. Not according to the EU Commissioner for Agriculture Janusz Wojciechowski. Meeting with 120 representatives of the IFA at the Irish Farm Center on the 30th May 2022, 6 weeks ago, he said It is absolutely not the intention of the EU to reduce animal or livestock farming.

What I think we should do is what everybody else is doing. Look after our own and cut out the green ideological nonsense that somehow our showing a good example by wrecking our economy is going to make the real large scale emitters change their ways.They showed that they have no intention of changing at the COP26 beanfeast even if greens are running from admitting it.

Well at least you're honest about the fact you think the EU should do nothing. The Green party wanting to reduce the amount of cows is irrelevant really, they also want everyone to cycle everywhere, these are pipe dreams and will never happen.

It would seem to me though that sooner or later we'd need to look at stopping the growth of animal agriculture eventually given its impact on the environment. Are there 7 million cattle or something, how many do you think Ireland can handle?

You may need to read my post again. I did not say I believed the E.U. should do nothing. When it comes to the Irish Green party they are only doing a pick and mix of what suits their ideology and ignoring what does not as far as the EU is concerned anyway. I said we should do the same as the real major emitters, as well as many others are doing. Look after our own economy rather than wrecking it based on an airy fairy Green Party belief that in doing so al the major emitters will change their ways and do likewise.

So you believe the Irish Green Party faffing around wasting government time and resources rather than dealing with the real problems we have is an irrelevance. Their in government, not a playschool.

According to the EU Commissioner for Agriculture the EU has no problem with our herd numbers. Food security is more their concern. Not surprising and perhaps the EU is learning. Their 2019 banning of certain pesticides without any alternatives resulted in farmers moving away from planting certain crops. Not least of those wheat where last year due to 700,000 Ha less wheat being grown there was 11 million tonnes less of wheat grain. They looked a bit foolish complaining about Russia`s war resulting in less wheat grain globally where Ukraine`s total annual export was 20 million tonnes, when an EU stroke of a pen added 11 million tonnes to that 20 million.

Fair enough. The war has also exposed our own food insecurity though, we don't produce flour here outside of a few artisan mills as far as I know, and should probably be trying to become not so dependent on imported food.

You acknowledge they’re covering and then say they aren’t covering it. You can’t have it both ways.

You’re ascribing motives to media companies that have no basis in reality. The articles I linked stated clearly why the protests were happening. When is there enough coverage for you?

they/them/theirs

Ah lad there's no point you just ain't getting it.

I’m getting your point. I completely disagree.

Your argument is that the media is trying to keep people docile and submissive by not showing them what’s happening in the world. Except that they are showing them what’s happening.

they/them/theirs

I know this may be difficult to believe, but due to our climate and the protein content of the wheat we grow, it is not suitable for baking yeast bread. Soda bread is as good as it gets from the wheat we grow. If we want yeast based bread we have to import the flour or the bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Incredible how RTE are ignoring this.

So you think the gravity of the situation has been given fair coverage?

Dutch Government's telling Farmers they need to reduce there stock emissions etc or else they'll be fined or i dunno, removed from there land by force?

The probable catastrophic consequences of that decision for everybody affected?

Why do you think a policy like that isn't big headline news?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

The Greens to me appear to be asking for/backing rules/regs that may drive smaller farmers out of business and suit intensive production more and this produce more GHGs

On top of that I think if we reduce production in the EU ....it will just drive more production into areas outside the EU................to places where slash and burn is the policy....so remove the vegetation taking in and incorporating the CO2 .....then release its stored CO2 as you burn it and in turn put cattle on this area (possibly not all that suitable for it and needing intensive feeding)......

to take a specific example in ireland, most places if they are not factory farms can have cattle/livestock out min 7 months of the year grazing on pastures established for generations....that's got to be better than slash and burn but instead of incentivizing that and looking to work towards improving prices for extensively reared older animals (which would result in less numbers in national herd they want more "efficiency" and lower slaughter ages which imo = more heads/more throughput for lower price per kilo and more inputs (of imported soy/maize) favouring merchants and intensive producers and leading to more GHGs......Greens my hole imo, this from the party that if I'm not mistaken incentivized diesel vehicles, prominent members of which mused about rewinding parts of wicklow by releasing wolves and didn't see much problem with mentioning people might grow veg in their window boxes during pandemic............its hard to have faith in these cretins...if you are a party of science there should be depth and an ability to defend your policies because yhey are based on more than just an ideology or targetting low hanging fruit which wont solve the problem and will probably make it worse.......a randomer like me on an Internet forum should be able to pick holes in them....

It's a global problem that requires a global solution.....which is why I'm not hopeful of a solution especially in a world where a party like the current greens get their way.....

Now you’re not getting it. The lack of coverage isn’t a concerted effort by the “western media”, that’s my point. It is being covered.

Whether it deserves more coverage is actually debatable, but I’m arguing with the fact that it’s being ignored as some sort of grand conspiracy. This simply can’t be true because we’re all able to read about it from various news sources.

To be honest, the way beef, dairy and pork is farmed in the Netherlands is shockingly poor. It isn’t sustainable.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Similar protest movements starting in Italy, France Germany and Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

So true consumerism and GDP trumps all in this world now, I believe the food cost and shortage looming come December will change the tune on a lot of people and will be a full u turn on the green agendas food policies, its only when people get subjected to hardship that things will change.

OK Brian you think it's being given adequate coverag. But me and plenty other people posting in this thread don't agree.

Agree with ya about there farming practices being unsustainable but who's policy's led them down that road?

And we can probably agree that the people telling them farmer's to reduce the herd sizes won't be losing a single cent in there wages or income and won't go hungry either.

I agree with the last paragraph. But I don’t see it’s relevance. It’s either the right thing to do or it isn’t. It’s up to the Dutch government to mitigate the impact on it’s citizens then.

The emotional argument doesn’t really do it for me. Industries change with the times, farmers like everyone else have to evolve with the times as well. Will it mean less money in farming- absolutely. But does that mean current practices should continue- absolutely not.

they/them/theirs

Is how pork produced any more sustainable here in Ireland? Or chicken? I saw a lot of things in the news lately about how chicken manure is damaging the environment in places like Donegal.

• Advertisement

The main difference here is the sheer amount of pork produced. Tiny country, huge production.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement