Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭RickBlaine

Howard being buried with his murderer is a rough fate for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Not gonna lie, how Gus killed Lalo was ridiculous and totally unbelievable. Really spoiled a lot of the series for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't see how it's unbelievable. It's what most people assumed as we saw Gus setting it up a few episodes ago. He located the switch that would kill the lights, he paced out the steps to the digger so he could find it in the dark, and he placed the gun where it wouldn't be seen but he knew where it was. After that all he had to do was point and shoot at the flashes coming where Lalo was blindly firing.

Compared to some of Walt and Mike's (and even Saul's) plans over the years, I thought it was fairly tame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Loved the way they shot that gun fight between Lalo and Fring, just the muzzle flashes in near absolute darkness. Only lasted a few seconds but what a perfect punctuation to the preceding few minutes of tension (even if we knew Fring would make it out alive).

Also the final burial was one of the more poignant moments of the whole BB / BCS run. Howard, a victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people, unceremoniously dumped in a hole with his killer. Bleak and sad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also, pure speculation here: are we going to get a time jump at some point? A lot of the ongoing plot threads have been resolved now, but there are five episodes left to go. And if Walt and Jesse are due to show up - as has been announced - it’d make some more sense if we see Saul during the BB-timeline somehow.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the final episode (or more) was largely focused on Saul post-BB, as seen in those occasional black & white season openers. And hey, Kim could still be around in that future.

• Advertisement

From what I can see, there is no longer any external threat to Kim and Jimmy, and likewise with Gus and Mike. I would expect Gus and Mike to start taking a lesser role in the show while it deals with the impact of Howard's death on Kim and Jimmy and their relationship. After the previous two fairly eventful episodes, I expect the next one to slow things down to deal with their relationship. There is going to be a moment when Saul moves into his mansion and that might signify the time jump to the BrBa timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was very predictable in an OTT way as well. It was obvious has soon as Lalo headed for the laundrette and Gus was written to twig it. Then it all went ‘1980s A Team’ that scene. All very convenient and contrived.

It did not feel natural. Gus normally checks with Mike. No way is it in his character to make such a risky move without checking in. The Kim angle saved the episode.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

What an episode! My poor heart for the first 15mins lol. It was just perfect for everything that happened so fast without any drag on at all.

And ya this episode truly shows that they actually made BSC works so well as a prequal series - when we already knew the fate for most of the characters.

Got a chuckle when they buried Lelo right there lmao. But ya damn, I don't know a better way or timing to see him off. RIP Lalo and Howard - who would have thought they would rest forever there together ha.

Post edited by seraphimvc on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmmm... Mixed feelings about that one.

Gus obviously surviving eliminated a lot of tension anyway, but the telegraphed ending for Lalo was rushed and convenient. Lalo similarly was relying on a lot of conveniences to get Gus to the laundry at just the right time and with just enough men for him to take out.

It does throw up a minor plot hole in BB now for Saul when he asks if Lalo sent the 2 lads when it was very clear from Mike that he wasn't coming back, but that's trivial

Mike was great as usual and as he has so often, held the episode together which was decent overall but very much felt like they're now ticking boxes to resolve certain characters.

I honestly don't care at all about Kim so her ultimate resolution is of little interest to be honest but that seems to be what it's building to for sure, but poor Howard deserved better.

I don't really agree. At this stage, Mike doesn't have the same standing in Gus's organisation that he has in BrBa. That seems obvious from their final moments in this episode. Also, although he is usually calm and collected, Gus has been known to act on impulse before, such as suddenly killing Victor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

I didn't think Lalo was trying to get Gus to the laundry. He was just trying to clear security to Jimmy's and get evidence of the lab for Don Eladio. It was pure luck Gus turns up and he was happy to capitalize on the situation.

Gus leaving the gun and pacing it out is obviously convenient but that's TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I watched it, I enjoyed it, but I didn't love it. That's basically my feeling about BCS in general, especially the past few seasons. BCS was at it's best when it had Chuck and Jimmy's dynamic at the heart of it, but since Chuck died, it became about Jimmy and Kim, and I just find Kim incredibly meh. There's nothing to her; she's not particularly likeable, or charismatic, and she's been a complete drag for most of this show. When Jimmy is around her, he's dull and unappealing. The first three seasons I loved Jimmy, but I can't remember the last time I liked watching him. Thankfully he is likeable on BB, when Kim is nowhere to be seen. Theirs is not some great romance; we have seen nothing to suggest a wonderful romantic connection between them. It makes no sense. Why would they be together? They could have been just friends/work colleagues, and have had different partners; it might have been more interesting that way, and given the characters some much-needed distance from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Lalo and Howard the best couple in the BB/BCS ????

It reminds me a bit of the X files. No other show really sounds like BCS

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

I’m mixed on this episode as well, felt very un-Saul like in parts. The fact we know nothing was going to happen to Mike, Gus, Jimmy made the episode a tad predictable but that wasn’t the reason i didn’t like it.

It felt a bit rushed and something felt off, but that’s just me maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've watched it three times and apart from the silliness of a supremely efficient killer like Lalo missing to hit Gus at such close range, there was no sound from the gun Gus used , i at first thought someone had emptied the gun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Decent episode, but I see what some folks mean, it's usually so slick and suave but didn't quite reach it especially for the Lalo/Gus scene

Enjoyable all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Never have a romantic couple had less chemistry

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I found that too, all I heard were clicks not bangs and I was properly surprised when I seen Lalo covered in blood.... actually thought at first he shot himself by accident or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just on the Jimmy thinking Lalo is still alive in BB. I think the implied assumption now is that Jimmy never sees his body or proof.

And Jimmy still has a doubt when Mike told him ‘Lalo is not coming back’ as it is the second time Mike told him this. Not the first. And the first time it proved to be false. When Jimmy said ‘How….’ as a smiling Lalo waltzed in.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

He didn't miss Gus.

After Lalo was dead we saw Gus remove the one bullet from the armour that had been shot at him upstairs, he then moved his hand lower and it came away covered in blood.

When we later see him being tended too he has two impact wounds lower down so Lalo hit him at least twice during the gunfight.

It did seem/sound like like Gus's gun was empty but that was just because both fired at the the same time, emptying their guns but then Gus just kept pressing the trigger after all his bullets were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,162 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Yes, would agree that Lalo was just trying to cause a commotion to drag security away from the lab so that he could get in and get video evidence for Don Eladio. Once he had that the cartel would take care of Gus. So from Lalo's pov it was just a happy coincidence that Gus happens to turn up to give him a tour and as he says himself "who is he to look a gift horse in the mouth".

For Gus to be so prescient to prepare for a showdown in the lab with Lalo is a bit of a leap alright.

It's cool to think that during Breaking Bad when Walt and Jessie are flat out making meth in the lab, Lalo and Howard are buried beneath them...

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I had to watch the Gus/Lalo scene a few times the see what had actually happened.

Spin off series with Lalo And Howard playing ghosts odd couple style ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Enjoyed it even though Gus leaving the gun on the digger was a bit much and for a show with such well thought out storylines it just felt forced.

Loved Lalo's character, great final death scene by him, getting a laugh in on his final breath.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm probably in a minority here, but while I really enjoyed the episode, I can't help but feel it would have been far better to end the first half of the season with this episode than with the previous one. It ties up the loose stings (except Kim) and allows the narrative to move on with the Saul/Jimmy and gives space to explore where he ends up.

The (re)opening episode was so action packed that it felt like being immersed in a boiling vat without any pre-heating. The break had allowed things to cool off, to mellow, but the story picked up right where it ended and the delayed next episode played out that particular storyline to its conclusion.

It just felt like the gap in episodes was in the wrong place and that took away from the overall enjoyment of this otherwise outstanding storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd agree with that, though from what I understand it was all written and planned as a continuous run of episodes with no gap, and then they were informed about the break, so they may not have much of a choice in when that gap happened.

Advertisement