Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anyone get this? I don't even know if I'd use an outdoor Pizza oven much but I'd give this a go under 100 if its half decent.

Where to get gas near Tallaght? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

This crew are doing what looks to be a decent offer:

350x400x6mm steel and peel for €65. €78 delivered. Not sure if that adds up to a non decent offer but posting just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got the preforated peel and the turning peel from Aldi last week, thanks @budgemook for posting it up. Im finding the preforated peel excellent for launching, it seems far more slippy than my Ooni bamboo peel, with the preforated one it slides off effortlessly with one flick of the wrist whereas the wooden one always took 2 or 3 goes to get it off. This is with a dough with 65% hydration so will be interesting to see how it handles 70% which is always that bit more stickier but so far so good.

The turning peel is handy as well though it is tricky to turn a 12 inch pizza in a 13 inch oven, theres a bit of a learning curve to get the technique right but it can be done from that video posted back up the thread. Just got to practice getting the right movement down. I can definitely see the advantage to using a turning peel as it means the pizza is always in the oven instead of you taking it out 3-4 times to turn it with the temperature of the bake dropping each time. The turning peel allows the cooking temperature to remain constant.

Overall Im very happy with both of them for 26 quid, would have cost almost 100 for the Ooni branded ones which do the same job. I might chop the handle on the turning peel as its 80cm long and a bit awkward to handle but other than that they were a great buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Good to hear it - I got the turning peel as well and made a complete balls of turning it, tore it completely in the middle. Salvaged an edible pizza though so need to practice a bit more. I actually bought a pre made pizza base today to practice with 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

has anyone ever made poolish based pizza dough? interested in hearing how it went. wouldnt mind giving it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAFKQoSMbxI

Ive been making his poolish dough for over a year now and it is my go to recipe for pizza dough, the poolish helps give it a depth of flavour that you wont find with other dough recipes that dont use poolish. I have probably made 6 or 7 different dough recipes at this stage but none has been as good as Vitos poolish version so I keep going back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Its my go to recipe now and the 70% hydration makes the dough really light. Freezes really well also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Thanks. Going to give it a go! Can you get away with leaving it in the fridge longer than 24 hours for the second stage?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I always leave my pizza dough in the fridge for three days. I don't make a poolish, though.

• Advertisement

I would stick to everything he advises, Ive messed around with proving times on that recipe in the past and it didnt work out quite as good as it does when you follow his instructions to the tee.

The amount of yeast used in the recipe is related to the proving time in the fridge so if you were to leave it longer than 24 hours it would need a different quantity of yeast as it has longer to ferment.

This is the full video that includes the poolish and making the dough. If you follow what he does to the tee you should get top class pizza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Hd6ZzKgBM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

I am happy with the turning peel for the reason you mentioned - no need to take the pizza out and turn it on the peel anymore. I agree with you it being too long too - the damn thing doesn't fit on my "cooking stuff" shelf. If you decide to cut it let me know how it turns out.

I stayed away from the perforated peel but am kind of regretting it now - do you assemble the pizza directly on the peel and then launch it, or do you assemble to pizza on the counter, lift it with the perforated peel and quick launch it?

yeah the turning peel is decent, I just got to get the technique down. Its good the pizza is no longer leaving the oven 3 or 4 times to get turned, I hadnt actually thought of that benefit before using it for the first time. I havent chopped the handle yet but reckon I might take about 15-20cm off it as its just too long and more designed for use with proper brick pizza ovens that are quite deep. Also my kitchen drawers are 80cm wide as is the turning peel so it'll only fit in there diagonally with a bit of wiggling.

With the preforated peel Im now making and topping pizzas entirely on the counter and then doing that trick of lifting up at the crust and rapidly sliding the perforated peel in underneath. Ive only done it three times so far but it has worked perfectly each time, the entire pizza just popped up on the peel in one quick motion with no disasters. On launch it comes off very easily, I was surprised how much easier it slodes off compared to my Ooni bamboo 'launching peel' which is now likely to get relegated to being a cheeseboard/serving platter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

anyone got the supervalu oven? I see its available online but could not find any reviews/details anywhere else

Post edited by Roberto_gas on

I got the perforated peel and while it is fractionally too small in my opinion it is a doddle to use. Great value at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I saw this, seems like a very good price, comes with many items, reviews seem decent too. Free delivery to Ireland. €159 portable Pizza oven.

Reviews here - (There are two different types of the portable wood fired Pizza ovens). I didn't bother searching "vs. Ooni".

https://www.google.com/search?q=vevor+portable+pizza+oven+review

More Pizza Ovens here I am guessing all a free delivery, but I didn't check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I was watching one of his recipes, and he gave the amount of water in grammes but the recipe gave it in millilitres. I assume it is the latter? Otherwise it would be a lot more water!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

It does. 1ml of water weighs 1g (pretty much by definition).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Advertisement

And at sea level, yes. :) The point is that, for almost all practical purposes, they're the same thing - not "a lot more water".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pizza dough has only four ingredients. There should be no honeys or olio. Using a starter is interesting, though.

In the discussion of peels, you only need one, use semolina as "lubricate" and everything will be easy!

I've used semolina to lubricate in the past, and ended up with burnt semolina on the underside of my pizzas. What am I doing wrong?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ARe you brushing out the oven/stone after? I haven't had semolina burn in the time it takes to make a pizza but my oven floor is coated with burnt semolina.

I must try again, it's been a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Tried semolina for the first time last weekend and was an absolute game changer for loading onto the peel and launching, previously had just been using flour and it was very inconsistent to load successfully even using the perforated peel. Placing the base on the peel before adding toppings it was 50/50 if we would need to add more flour to stop it sticking once I was ready to launch it into the oven. With semolina it worked flawlessly every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

How are people freezing dough?

The recipe I'm currently following is a 1-hour bulk prove then make the dough balls and another 24-72 hours in the fridge (I use individual round tupperware type boxes for this).

At what stage would I freeze them while following this recipe? Would the tupperware or a freezer bag work better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Me thinks Vito needs to focus on the job in hand. A 12 minute video on how to freeze pizza dough. Really?

Advertisement