Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video camera for recording self on turbo trainer - recommendations

Options
  • 12-07-2022 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I have a persistent problem with one leg that three bike fits with different fitters haven't solved.

I am going to get a video camera that I can connect to my laptop so I can watch myself while I'm on the turbo.

Should I be looking at an action cam, a camcorder or something else?

It will be used for this purpose only, so the important thing is a good clear close-up of my lower leg that doesn't get blurry (the light in my garage isn't the best so that might be a consideration).

If anyone has any recommendations for a particular camera or what technical specifications I should be looking for I'd be grateful. I'd be thinking of spending €50 to €80 (not sure if that's realistic) and picking up something on Amazon today or tomorrow.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What about your phone? There’s apps like DroidCam that let you use your phone as a webcam and the resolution is pretty decent. Would be worth a shot instead of splashing out on a separate camera

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Whats the camera on your phone like? most modern smart phones it would be decent enough for this one off job

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

My phone is a nine-year-old iPhone 5s, the camera specifications (copied from gsmarena.com) are:

Single 8 MP, f/2.2, 29mm (standard), 1/3", 1.5µm, AF

Features Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR

Video 1080p@30fps, 720p@120fps

I tried Droidcam with no success, will try again later with my iPad. I tried the cheap webcam I use for work calls and that was completely useless.

I would have thought the 720p at 120fps would be fine for what you want. I can lend you one of my gopros if you are around South Dublin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Not being smart but.... would a mirror do the job?? :)

Alternatively the webcam on a half way modern laptop should also be fine imo.

• Advertisement

That's a very kind offer! I am indeed in South Dublin. Can the gopro be used as a webcam? I would like to get a real-time close-up of what my feet are doing rather than recording it and watching it afterwards (although that would be useful too, so I can play it frame-by-frame).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I would have thought viewing afterwards would be better, observation will probably change outcome.

The other option, if you know someone who has one, is an iPad. There are apps that you can use to analyse movement on a frame by frame basis, as well as overlaying 2 videos for a direct comparison (say, after you have made adjustments)

I tried a mirror - it was helpful for getting my upper body position right but I couldn't see much of my feet. I tried with my cheap webcam but it was no use. I'll need to have the laptop in front of me so it'll have to be an external camera.

It should be able too, drop me a PM and I can arrange to drop it off to you

Advertisement