Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiling water noise from cylinder with immersion heater - advice sought

Options
  • 12-07-2022 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I noticed this humming/boiling type noise from the hot water cylinder.

Assumed the thermostat had failed and I was about to start the DIY replacement process.

But, just to be sure, I let the cylinder run cold and then switched on the immersion. Noise started immediately.

So, not a boiling sound. Web search talks about "kettling" but the cause/remedy is very unclear.

Q1: Does it sound really serious and should I switch off the immersion?

Q2: Can I just ignore it and do nothing?

Q3: What action should I take? Plumber? Electrician?

Any advice appreciated please.

MOTF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Have you got a working RCD at the board ?

A trip switch with a test button that knocks off the immersion

A electrician won't replace the heater these days, too much trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭manofthefora

Hello Kirk. Thanks for your interest.

The immersion is on a standard breaker. Why do you ask that?

Can you suggest where/what is the fault likely to be? New cylinder? New immersion unit? Dangerous to leave it running now?

I appreciate that remote diagnosis is difficult!

MOTF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭KildareP

Does it sound like a kettle? If so it's most likely normal, just as a kettle makes noise long before the water reaches boiling the element in the immersion will make noise almost from cold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

A plumber can replace it but can't always fix electrical issues

It's useful to know if you have a working RCD protecting the immersion heater and whether it's tripping or not, that's why I said try the test button and see if it knocks off the immersion

Post edited by kirk. on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Kettling normally only occurs with limescale build up, not applicable in your case with a new install.

Is it a top mounted dual immersion and is your cylinder vented, ie fed from a cold water storage tank. What make is the cylinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Is there a pump connected to your immersion switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭manofthefora

Apologies for delay and lack of response.

The cylinder is not new - maybe 10 years old. The immersion is top mounted dual and there is no pump involved - just cold water storage in attic. No obvious way to see make of cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Possibly limescale after 10 years, suggest removing heating element and inspect for scaling or if noise not too intrusive motor on until element fails?

Advertisement