Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

FF/FG have just ended covid leave for those working in schools and hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

😁😁

The whole notion of political tactics and strategy has passed you by. Well don't come running when you get a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Boom the RIC event is mentioned.

Pity you don't understand the RIC event was an excellent display of how a government should work. They arranged the event and as I previously said some people wanted it. The feedback from the public was they would prefer not to have so the event was cancelled.

But that was the previous government so totally irrelevant to this thread.

Arranged in "secret" but Jack Chambers and Darragh O'Brien etc all knew about it. Jack even went to the "secret" meeting. I wonder how he knew how to get to it?

AT this stage we are aware that all FF TD's knew about this, the FF Minister in government knew about it, so we would have to expect MM knew about it, he also confirmed he knew about it

Anybody that follows the TD on social media knew about it.

Yet you claim it was a "secret" meeting. The question I would have, is who didn't know about the "secret" meeting?

As I said, we are back to the "filibuster" and some people seem to have invented a different meaning for the word "secret"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Boom the RIC event is mentioned

It comes up B. 'People reference event in discussion shocker'. Do you not like reminding?

Now you've issue with the use of the word 'secret'. What's your goal here, to make like it didn't really happen, while MM was out of the country?

Are you just trying to shut down discussion or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How do you know, that apart from the committed SF followers on here, that a single one of the 300 or so people interviewed by Red C had any interest in the MONC debate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

A motion of no confidence has never been won in the history of the state without one party in/supporter of government either leaving government or withdrawing support.

It has only ever happened twice - in 1992 when the PDs left government and in 1982 and in workers party withdrawing support.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Did you forget to read the article before you linked to it?

Despite things getting hostile during 2010 they still included health issues as a valid reason for pairing.

FF backbenchers at the meeting said Chambers was in the building at another meeting and just happened to be there.

Like your byline BA, if it looks like a duck,(an assembly of back bench TD's) smells like a duck (only select members were let know by word of mouth) walks like a duck (discussed the direction being taken by the members absent by design) then it is most likely a duck.

Give it up, your protestations are a dead duck at this stage.

Do you mean the IRA or the PIRA?

Have you seen FF/FG plans or how have you come across this information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

I don't. I never made the claim they did. Brokenangel made the claim about who was and who was not interested in the monc, why are you not haranguing him to elaborate how he reached his opinion?

I just offered my opinion that dismissing them, would be at his or her own peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Because the Greens are really two parties. The first was well described as "FG on bikes". The second are water melons who are Green on the outside but Labour on the inside. They accidentally ended up in the Greens after Labour was obliterated in 2016. Some of them split to form the Green Left party but that seems to be a victim of political climate change. The Greens also benefited from SF transfers in 2016 and at least one Green TD won a seat based on these transfers and FG candidates knocking each other out. SF always plays the long game. In 2002, it only had 5 seats. In 2020, it won more seats than FG.

I don't think that SF expected the increase in support and had chosen its candidates before that increase was apparent. Both FF and FG also seem to have based their candiate strategies and selection on the support at the end of 2019. Parties apparently do that. If a floating voter like myself understands that, it doesn't say much for party supporters who are supposed to know these things.

SF was reinventing itself at the time of the last LEs/Euros. It was moving away from the old Adams leadership towards the MLMcD leadership and the new political brand wasn't quite established. The indications were apparent to anyone who wasn't mainlining the effluent that laughably passes for political analysis in media. SF's level of campaigning, as shown by information from the Abu "story" that accidentally caused GDPR problems for FG, and Social Media is well beyond the antics of the Strategic Communications Unit members of FG and the nod and a wink merchants in FF. SF has combined a digital marketing strategy with old fashioned local campaigning. And FG? Varadkar working lines from movies for teenage girls into Dail speeches for likes on Twitter isn't quite in the same class, is it?

The rise of SF and the forced duelling banjos partnership of FF/FG isn't an anomaly. It is the rise of a traditional Left/Right axis in Irish politics with the Right of centre (represented by FG, Martin's clique in FF and Labour) being highly contested and, on the other side, with SF effectively taking over the centre and Left of centre part of the political spectrum.

Regards...jmcc

It got hammered....if anything it put the government under less pressure than they have ever been

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot

So when was this? And 300 sounds like a remarkably small sample size for a RedC poll as it generally uses sample size of around 1K.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

There's a quote from James Reilly (I think in an Irish Times article) saying that the Black and Tans/RIC commemoration was an FG own goal. There's a serious lack of leadership in FG. FG's biggest mistake, apart from the FG parliamentary party politburo installing Varadkar as leader over the wishes of the FG grassroots, has been to go into government with FF. Even though FF has Housing and Health, the fallout from both of these issues is affecting FG. Had FG been in opposition, it might be doing a lot better in the polls.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

To borrow from Mary Harney - one day in government is better than a lifetime in Opposition. Not clear what may happen with the portfolios as there will be a reshuffle at the end of the year and Donnelly needs to be moved out anyway!

It was a mistake they were forced into making. Part of the change brought about by a more organised opposition not prepared to be their whipping boys and girls.

A merger in other words. A tempestuous merger full of all the bitterness of old civil war wounds, but a merger nonetheless. And it is being highlighted more and more by that opposition.

Ironically, Donnelly is much better than the incompetent Harris who left a whole pile of people from a Covid virus hotzone attend a rugby match in Dublin among other things. FG called the GE rather than contest a MONC in Harris, I think. At least Donnelly has the kind of management training that could be useful when dealing with a behemoth like the HSE and isn't a YATSE (Yet Antother Teacher Seeking Eelection) promoted beyond his level of competence. The HSE is a mess but fixing it is very difficult. As for Harney, the PDs were Provisional Fianna Fail rather than something new to Irish politics.

Regards...jmcc

Not the point about Harney. Neither FF nor FG aspire to opposition like some of the entrenched. I disagree on Donnelly. He's never been in command of his brief and only he thinks he's brilliant. Folks down Wicklow way tell me he's likely to be a goner at election time but who's to know.

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Advertisement

I thought that an FF/FG merger was going to take a lot longer but the rise of SF accelerated it as did Martin's C&S agreement. The media is still trying to promote Labour as being the opposition and giving Bacik undue coverage. The SocDems are also being promoted though they are going to struggle on the current polling. The real danger for FF and FG is that there's a small group in both parties that have become so comfortable working with each othre that they are no longer FF or FG. That seemed to be one of the issues underlying that secret FF meeting.

Regards...jmcc

There was no real ethos in the PDs other than power for the sake of power. Take away that power and such a party collapses. FG wanted to go into opposition according to some reports. SF beating them into third place changed the dynamics.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

I cannot believe Trump, Sinn Fein and Putin caused this

Yes, it will be interesting to see if the desire to claw back an identity will grow legs. I think it will tear them apart, strikes me that Martin's legacy will be to leave a very brittle party of factions.

Don't underestimate Donnelly. He's a bit smarter than many other FFers. He could lose his seat but the GE is still a fair bit away. He's gone from being part of the SocDems to FF when he realised that the SocDems were a bit of a political dead end (permanent opposition micro party rather than early mainstream party).

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I don't get this attitude. You cherry pick what you respond to so you can have a go. It still did what I said and cemented FF/FG as one entity, the greens being inconsequential.

Yes the Labour thing is odd. She's even unlikely to hold her seat. Labour are not the left party anyone would be looking for. They are FG lite at this stage.

Its an idea for FF/FG to run as a team in a GE. While it would be their best shot this time, it would destroy them. All they ever had was not being the other. Now they are one it will be very entertaining to say the least.

I don't think he's very good at all and that's no great compliment to him! Could be touch and go for him in Wicklow. Was very tight in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bacik is exactly what the dying Labour Party did not need- another woke, virtue signalling pampered Trinity leftie. But realistically she sums them up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Watermelons...brilliant!

Great posts jmcc, keep them coming please.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No doubting her Abilities, intellect and legal mind but , she's really not made the slightest difference so far , despite genuinely good Dail performances to be fair but I sense the Damage has been done and just looking at this party from a lay perspective, few of the parties TD'S seem to give a shyte,

I've seen occasions were Bacik was in the Dail on her own during debates, it looks terrible and that Aodhán Ó Ríordáin seems to have gone missing, he'd pop up constantly on radio and TV before Alan Kellys departure, now , barely a whimper out of him (no bad thing, I might add) 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement