Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Given that many workplaces are air conditioned and that >30C is a pretty uncomfortable scenario anywhere outdoors in Ireland, I'd rather be at work frankly and get my beach and barbecues in when its 22/23.

Don't forget your pets on these days folks, many species don't readily display heat stress, so keep a shaded space with a breeze going through it, cool water topped up and changed regularly and try a cold water bottle (chill a rubber HWB filled with tap water in the fridge) or pop old towels or clothes in the freezer and leave them for your pet to snooze on.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Cork with the snow shield and heat shield.

Cork isn't the best for weather extremes. Though it has got over 30c on sryan's map posted yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

North Cork should get decent temps next weekend. Big county and all that jazz!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Let's just calm down here a minute. We're talking about 1 day that could be around 30 degrees in places. That is a manageable temperature. Anyone would think we're in for mid-40s the way some are going on. Just calm the hyperbole down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

🤣

I think s/he was just tounge-in-cheek adding to the "list" of excuses to offer the boss for missing next Monday and Tuesday from work (was quoted)

It probably doesn't make sense on the mobile version of the site.

• Advertisement

If you see the post I was replying to you'll realise that was a joke😊

The poster was talking about reasons people would ring in sick to work to enjoy the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met Éireann have now posted a meteorologist commentary on the possible hot weather on the way early next week about what is causing it and what they expect.

https://www.met.ie/meteorologists-commentary/with-some-sweltering-heat-on-the-way-from-15-19th-july-what-is-causing-it-and-what-can-you-expect/

Thanks 😂

I forgot to mention incineration, confusion, and sunstroke combined with alcohol poisoning in Kilkenny and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Jaysus, the nipple count will be off the scale lads, wha'!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭esposito

Hopefully it’s 2 days and not 1. See where you’re coming from though. Probably the nights that will be uncomfortable with possibility of a tropical night or two.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

First big downgrade of the hot spell. GFS whisks away the heat to our east very swiftly on Monday night with Atlantic air back in by Tuesday morning. However all other models keep the heat for Tuesday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah looks unnaturally fast. Goes from about 100km west of the western seaboard to the london area in the space of a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Monday still looks roasting...more widespread 29's 30's

The bonnet of the car can be used to fry eggs on Monday and Tuesday if the GEM is right.

9am on Tuesday morning 30C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Incredible charts on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

I'll stick with the euros on this one ,gfs always has this constant habit of bulldozing everything away be it plumes in summer or Scandinavian blocks in winter

It really does! I find it such a frustrating model at times with its progressive nature

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Both the GFS and GEM on 12z runs now bring the Iberian low through Ireland on Tuesday with significant rain and thunderstorm potential as the warm spell / heat wave ends. Before these runs, Ireland was supposedly going to cool down without much if any rain while that low tracked through England. But now it is heading for Scotland, the graveyard of lows. This probably raises the chances slightly that the heat on Monday would generate local thunderstorm activity most likely over higher terrain of Connacht and west Ulster in sea breeze convergence areas. May not show up on modelling for a while. Monday night into Tuesday morning could have some very high minimum readings, challenge will be to get these to last through a cooler Tuesday evening in terms of them remaining record values.

• Advertisement

The GFS starting to look fairly thundery.

GFS will shift back on the pub run hopefully.

GFS 31c for my part of Donegal on Monday. An upgrade of 3c from this mornings run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hah. Typical Ireland. Wel be lucky to get a day out of it!

GFS doesn't want us getting heat stroke.

Itl probably be like 30c for an hour and then 15c the following day. Nevermind. At least 1 day is better than none. Saturday n Sunday should be decent days too.

Prob best not to pull the sickie so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Monday looks like a nice tropical night to sit outside in the garden, and do what the rest of mainland Europe does, if only for one night, god love us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The ukmo run really is exceptional. I personally think the record will definitely go this time. The heat will arrive quite quickly on Sunday and build from there.

Re the thundery breakdown, years of living through these plumes they almost always end up going bang! The models at last figuring this out

Over now to the ECM to see which outcome it favours!

UKMO temperature shows pockets of 30c over Leinster on Tuesday so not quick a break down as gfs. The NW is much cooler though. It also shows 40c over England Tuesday, supposedly the first time that’s happened.

Edit- 32c is the high just west of Dublin for Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I just want to see a proper light show!!

UKMO showing major thunderstorm potential on the Monday and Tuesday combined with temperatures pushing 30C.

low risk of storms also on Wednesday.

• Advertisement

UKV model high of 34c for Ireland on Monday. That run ends at 3pm Monday, 4pm can be often be hotter.

Advertisement