Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is the most annoying thing it is not an exceptional Kerry side. But panel wise they are top dogs now. As they are on their peak and every other team seems not near good enough, or on a downward cycle. I knew the Dubin dip was coming, but I assumed Tyrone/Mayo would put it up to Kerry. But Mayo just have not got it between the ears, and the Tyrone lads decided they have had enough at one Sam.

Basically I think the way is clear for Kerry to clean up, unless something goes really wrong.

I still can't believe Galway got to an AI final. And the impression I got was neither can the Galway fans! It is a bit of novelty final, I suppose. In that none of them have recently won Sam.

So there will be pressure on both. But the bit that annoys me is after all Dublin's hard work in closing the roll of honour on Kerry. It looks like the feckers from the Kingdom will have a good few years of 'soft all ireland's' with no real competitor. Then Kerry widen the AI titles gap on Dublin again, undoing the last decade of Dublin dominance.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you want to talk about soft All Ireland's look at the last six Dublin got. Fitzmaurice's refusal to drop the lads from the noughties set Kerry back 2-3 years. Mayo would not win an All Ireland if you handed it to them. They always find a way to lose. Present Galway and Tyrone teams are fairly decent a d they will not get stage fright like Mayo

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Steady on, we've no all ireland won yet this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why not go outside, I believe Malachy O Rourke is available? He would do a lot with the quality players Dublin still have.

What I mean is at least when Dublin were flying, Mayo had the potential and pushed Dublin. But as you say they froze but yet would narrowly lose. Who is going to push Kerry regularly?

I think you raise an interesting point about Fitzmaurice because there is a line between loyalty or knowing when a former great is past it. I would have thought Kerry were used to that though given the regular periods of success? But for Dublin this is a new place to be. Needing to change/style tactics as the former greats move on, while some linger.

I think all Dessie Farrell did is try not to rock the boat, keep the status quo. Maybe kick the ball a bit more. But that was it. Then hope it would be enough.

I know there is an argument that the talent is not there. But even so, Farrell should be smarter, if the skill is not there go for athletic workhorses. They should be easier to find, as hardworking athletic players can mask deficiency in skill levels. If such players are set up with the proper tactics they should be a tough unit to break down at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Yeah I know yeah, but 1/3 on favourites with the bookies/Galway 10/3. And before anyone asks, I won't be putting money on Kerry. Even if Kerry won it would feel like dirty money and would need a wash after spending it!

The majority of Dublin faithful would be very uneasy about that, I think. There were 'blow in' managers in the past who played club with Dublin. Such as McCaul and Lyons. But would never be the same (the affection and time) as a former Dublin legend would be given.

I was thinking recently retired players could work. Bryan Cullen worked with S&C with Leinster Rugby, and Philly McMahon mad on his fitness and has his own healthy eating food range. Both lads would be well able to have a joint manager thing or Cullen as manager Philly assistant. Both would span the Gilroy and Gavin eras should have picked up a good lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Brian Mullins will always be respected by Dublin fans he was a fantastic player but he would not be a contender I feel . I am not that impressed with Dessie the last two years now the reasons have all being given about a slip in standards etc across the board . The next guy in must be better on the line and have a better tactical knowhow . The lack of composure in the last two semi finals is on his plate and has proved very costly .He also got us relegated we should have done enough to stay in div1 with the players he had .He got a handy all ireland when he did but since then it's been downhill failing to beat anyone of note when we had to either league or championship .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭MfMan

For Galway, winning first day out in Castlebar was key. Once achieved, the road was clear for a serious run to the final as Kerry / Dublin were the other side of the draw. As shown by the league campaign and Division 2 final (where they were missing some starters, only brought Walsh on later on and had others playing in different positions), they were building nicely and starting to settle a team a bit more (McDaid to help Conroy in midfield, a fit Daly at no. 6). Despite a couple of mishaps, Galway don't fear Ulster sides when they are going well. I for one predicted a Galway / Dublin decider after the Connacht final.

• Advertisement

Has Dessie earned a reprieve? Seemed to pretty well max out in championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

In a word, NO. Same failings as the past two seasons and has seemingly learned nothing from last seasons semi defeat. Add in relegation and he should be out the gap before we finish July.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Fair enough. I thought his championship performance might save him. Could anyone have gotten more from Dublin Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You would say that just on paper based on the last semi final v Kerry.

But Dublin were very lucky Kerry did not run away with it IMO. And to me it had a feel of Dublin older players running on ‘muscle memory. ‘

If you look at performances in the league against top teams similar stuff to that Kerry game. That ponderous slow backwards and side to side stuff. Vulnerable fb line.

And if you look at Dublin’s big wins in Leinster this year Wexford were brutal, And Kildare played Kamikaze stuff.

And the other team Dublin beat were Meath, who subsequently lost to Clare in the qualifiers!

Plus Dublin are turning into a one man team - Con O’Callaghan. And there does not have seemed to be a tactical change by Farrell to counteract this dependence.

This Dublin decline was signposted a over a year ago as Dublin laboured to beat Wexford in Wexford park as far as I am concerned.

Yet Farrell seems to have done nothing to change things except maybe move players all over the place and hope it will be grand. Oh and playing more direct against gales during the league. It is top notch tactical stuff. As another poster mentioned.

Ok. You'd need to be definite the replacement will do better. Bar Jim Gavin, Gilroy (tied down with work I presume) there aren't that many proven.

Tom Carr, Tommy Lyons, Pillar etc were a string of mediocrity. Change for the sake of it can be dangerous. Unless you're fairly certain of a replacement's character.

I agree that players like McCarthy would play well if you or I were in charge! Just pros.

Haha well done point taken. I suppose to be honest, I think of the 90’s. When Dessie was a great player for Dublin. One of the few who could create something from nothing.

But now I feel that legacy and memory is tarnished with the realisation that Dessie Farrell has the cut of a chancer/bluffer. Instead Creating nothing from something.

I feel there needs to be a bit of vibrancy injected into not just the players. But management. Put a duo like Bryan Cullen and Philly McMahon in charge. It would create a buzz and give the Dub fans something to get behind.

Yeah I know Tommy Lyon’s fell on his arse after hyping Dublin up. But he is an Offaly man was never a Dub player.

Instead Put former Dubs in that know about fitness and the modern game. Cullen has expertise in Strength and Conditioning. As does Philly with knowledge on nutrition as well. Both fellas are leadership type fellas.

And let’s be honest Leinster is that bad I think any Random poster from boards (even a Mayo one) could manage this current Dublin side to Leinster victory!

So I think Cullen/McMahon wouldn’t do worse than a Leinster. But unlike a random poster on boards.ie. Cullen/McMahon at least have a presence/name. And it should create a buzz.

Plus let’s be honest the interviews can be any worse than Dessie Farrell ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Dublin were very lucky Kerry did not run away with it? Ridiculous comment.

Ok then how would have the game have gone if O’Shea scored the pen, and Comerford did not kill time for the John Small absence?

• Advertisement

Cullen and McMahon. That's taking a chance. Have they managed inter county at any level.

With hindsight Dessie's 2022 championship might be judged differently. And people see the league was sacrificed for it. The quality coming through isn't the same as the 6 in a row.

I know I'm playing devil's advocate a bit. Just new management is a really serious decision.

First of all Kerry got a nice slice of luck to win the penalty as Clifford was going for a point and when it rebounds off the post like that it's a lottery where it lands. It happened to land in the Kerry lads hands.

I've heard pundits comment that Small's black card was harsh and not deserved. Didn't see it clearly myself but maybe Kerry got a nice break there also.

People that weren't at the game don't realise the strength of the breeze. I was sitting lower Hogan and the sidekine flags were blowing hard down towards the Canal end and i thought to myself early on that if Dublin could keep it to 5 or 6 points at the break they wouldn't be in a bad place.

And Dublin got on top in the second half and not once did i feel they were out of the game and i thought they'd go on and win it after Costelloe's goal.

So i don't believe Dublin were very lucky that Kerry never ran away with it at all.

I can see the point yer making. But Jayus any other management team is not going to do much worse. Now Dublin (thanks to Dessie) are facing a whole year against Div2 and lower until at least the AI QF.

Because of how weak Leinster is Dublin will likely have a further drop in overall standards as they won’t have div1 football next year.

The whole thing could steamroll downhill fast now if Dublin GAA are not careful. A presence is needed to steady the ship a bit.

I was at the game as well so am aware of the breeze.

It was the only thing I could hope for when yer man was taking the last kick. Costello’s goal was against run of play on the break. A bit like Kevin Mc’s in 2011.

But unlike that goal the atmosphere change was not as big in the stadium. Kerry kept their heads this time around as well. This time their game management was better.

When Costello’s goal went in, my first thought was ‘nice surprise but it was only a start to build on.’ It was not as if I thought ‘oh we have them now!’

I never doubted you weren't at the game. I've talked to quite a few who weren't and none thought the breeze was in anyway a factor. It was, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

If Dessie does stay he has to improve his team on the training ground and sideline on match day .People keep talking about all the players he used quite a few got a run out close to injury time never understood the point of that especially a lot of the matches we were already beaten .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,864 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why does the Dublin managers job have to go to someone from the County. What about considering the likes of Jim McGuiness?

Fair enough. Best wishes ye put up a great fight Sunday.

My thoughts when Costelloe scored the goal was game on. The crowd was ignited, Dublin had a nice breeze and the momentum. Kerry had started to hit a couple of bad wides. I thought Kerry might go inti there shell a bit and the mental scars v Dublin may come back to haunt them. It very nearly happened like that. A free that wasn't in the 75th minute was all that seperated them. Could just as easily gone the other way.

• Advertisement

I watch the warm ups and other teams have all sorts of clever drills. Interchange stuff etc similar to what Gavin used to have them doing. All looking very impressive and teams knowing exactly what the game plan is

I remember watching one of the Dublin games probably one of the games after the Armagh game. And I thought ‘Jayus even Dessie’s warm up routines are brutal!’

Advertisement