Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

It would have to have been down to the police to investigate the financial situation, regarding establishing a motive

maybe they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Sophie only became wealthy after her marriage to Daniel.

She doesn't seem to have gained any fame or money from her own work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

There was not much coverage about that if they investigated Daniel's finances, even though this would have been the biggest motive for murder of them all.

As far as I know I have a similar understanding of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

There were reports of the unopened recovered wine bottle being re-examined. I wonder if this may be a source of DNA?

I often thought that this bottle of wine was a prank and left by somebody later on? At least it wasn't the murder weapon. As far as I know, it was discovered way after the murder, anybody could have placed it there, or the police were so incompetent that they've missed it.

• Advertisement

Unlikely that anyone could have left it there. It was found in scrub some distance from the house, perhaps thrown from the road, was expensive £100 back in 1996! It also was a brand not on sale in Ireland but perhaps in France. It could easily have been used in the struggle and wiped afterwards. Who would hide a bottle as a prank? Might never have turned up at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Not a person alive is chucking an expensive bottle of wine into the bushes as a prank. Anyone who buys a €100 a bottle of wine knowns and likes their wine. Not drinking it is simply inconceivable.

It was either brought to or taken from the house. Who knows why or how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Fairly common to have stuff "carried" from holiday homes by locals.( there may have been a few spare door keys around the locality)

It could have been taken before or after the murder. "It had been there for some time" according to Gardai.

It materialised 3 months after the murder, about 3/4 mile away, found by the housekeeper's son on their own land.

3 months into the investigation, pressure was mounting on the Gardai, so they were ramping up the enquiries around the locality.

I've always felt this wine bottle thing was a deflection; " nothing to do with us, go looking in France for your murderer" and leave us alone.

It seems that somebody placed the bottle clearly after the murder, hoping that it would be found, and hoping the association would be made, to indicate that the search of the killer should go on in France, not in Ireland?

If that was true and the bottle was really worth 100 Pounds it would mean, that whoever placed it there was not concerned about money. Also if the bottle wasn't available in Ireland, it wasn't placed there by a local.

This would indicate that somebody took the trouble to travel to West Cork from France, just to place the bottle there? However, if somebody wanted to send a message and steer the direction of the investigation, give anonymous hints, he could have done that in a different way as well.

My use of the word "carried" must have confused you, it's sometimes used instead of stolen or robbed.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter, I think. I think that bottle of French wine is overrated in ever respect. It wasn't used as a murder weapon, nor was it placed there at the time of the murder, or lost by the murderer. There were also no fingerprints reported on it, as far as we know. I don't even know if the information is really correct that the bottle was actually found there. Also, if somebody had an insight and wanted to give the police hints, one could have done it differently, not spending in and around 100 Pounds on it. However one can't say it isn't odd that it was found there, that is if it was found there.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

If the bottle was stolen from a holiday house why would it be thrown away unopened though? I've always thought this was an odd thing that shouldn't be discounted..

Maybe the killer bought an expensive wine to impress her and went to Sophie's house to try and rekindle things (the ex boyfriend Carbonnet? Or an ex we don't know about?).. Everything went wrong and got out of control...he drives off in a panic - flings the bottle out the window in a rage..

I think we can say with certainty that Bailey would not have thrown away a bottle of unopened wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Haha! Yah I think we can definitely say if the wine had anything to do with the murder, Bailey certainly didnt carry it out so.

Im surprised it wasnt found until three months later. Surely in the days following a murder, you scour the local area looking for any clues & a bottle of wine would stand out in a rural area like that, basic policing again gone astray. After three months, even if he had a Frenchmans DNA all over it, I dont think it could be used. Maybe to rule out potential suspects but no more.

I think someone mentioned before aswell it was found in a ditch near the road so I think its safe to assume it was thrown from the window. If the gards have the bottle of wine still in their posession & I believe they do, I think the type of wine it is would be key. Was it a wine that Sophie liked? Her friends and family should know, then we can safely assume Sophie knew her killer quite well which would rule out Bailey. Unfortunately all of this work should have been done many years ago as memories fade & become unreliable. Now it strikes as more of a box ticking exercise but you never know I guess

I think it's unlikely that the bottle of wine had anything to do with the murder or was placed there at the night of the murder or around that time.

Sophie either met her killer during the night time, or in the early morning hours. At both times it would certainly not have been a welcomed social call with a bottle of wine, or luring Sophie into some form of sexual encounter, helped by a friendly conversation and a bottle of wine. Even though the motive could have been sexually motivated, I don't think the killer wanted sex or made any other sexual advances towards Sophie at the time of the murder as her clothes were not torn off. Also the pathologist ruled out rape or any sexual activity as far as I know.

I would even put in doubt that the bottle was found, where it was said to be found. A lot of things about the location of the bottle is probably hearsay and can't even be proven, not back then and even less, now.

If the wine was really not available in Ireland, and was most likely purchased in France, it is worth noting that it is a peculiarity of French supermarkets to carry only local wines. The winery could have given a clue, but I don't think it could ever have been evidence. And yes, the family or those who would have known Sophie better could have been asked regarding her preferred wines.

I think the bottle is relevant or even a key element of the murder. There are far too many odd coincidences.

How many unopened, £100 bottles of wine are ever found in a ditch?

How many are near a murder?

How many are not available in the country?

How many in a remote country area?

Pretty sure the answer to each is zero and as a total set absolutely zero.

, nor was it placed there at the time of the murder, or lost by the murderer.

how do you know?

If the wine was really not available in Ireland, and was most likely purchased in France

it was available in duty free shops

Where did you hear that? I've never heard that confirmed before by one of the investigators

Ok, near 100 Euro and may be available in some Duty Free. Doesn't really affect the point.

• Advertisement

70 is not near 100 pounds, just over 2 thirds of it. It was available in duty free and Charles de Gaulle airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Would this cold case review have been have been ordered were it not for the publicity surrounding the Netflix and Sheridan documentaries or solely on the basis of Ian Bailey requesting one? I think not .Marie Farrell,I presume, is being paid for her participation in this ongoing filming so her motivation may be avarice rather than a desire to finally uncover the truth. Doubts about her character and bona fides have long since been established. Sheridan must be delighted with himself. All this oxygen is helping to reignite the dying embers of his film career.

Marie Farrell,I presume, is being paid for her participation in this ongoing filming

is there another sheridan doc actually in production?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭chicorytip

We'll agree to call it an expensive bottle of French wine, 70 punts in 1997 was expensive enough.

Was it available in Irish duty free shops, do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Bailey will say anything, i reckon he got away with it and revels in this stuff

70 punts was expensive but was not 100 pounds

Was it available in Irish duty free shops, do you know

I don't know about ireland specifically. It was in duty-free stores at airports around Europe.

I read it was her housekeepers son who found it?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

You really need to keep up with the thread...

Gardai have a sample of DNA, travelling to France to interview a known person, and hoping to get a DNA sample to match against the one retrieved..

Let me break that down for you:

1) A sample of DNA that is of significant interest to the Gardai has been retrieved (obviously could be linked to the murder of Sophie)

2) They already have Bailey's DNA - So what does that tell you?

3) They have identified a person of interest that they wish to interview - Namely a French national

4) The French national has been described as a close associate of Daniel Du Plantier

5) Are you able to see the bigger picture developing here??

The 1990's are over, time to move on.

*Note - The Frenchman could be totally innocent, yet the investigation is heading towards France, and not down to West Cork, that in itself tells you something.. Take off the blinds.

Still no answer in relation to this wine being on sale in duty free?. All anyone knows is that it was an extremely expensive bottle of continental wine(most likely french) that was thrown in a ditch less than a mile from the murder scene. Highly relevant. The places in Ireland that this wine was sold at that time especially within any close proximity to west cork should have been narrowed down if any were sold at all. Also its highly likely it would have been possible to trace where this wine is actually sold. If it was only France, the gards could have narrowed it down to people who had recently traveled there who lived in the vicinity of the murder. If none had, then its highly likely the perpetrator came from abroad. Then you question STDP relatives and friends to see if she ever liked this wine before. Its not rocket science.

My feeling is that either 1) they were too incompetent to trace where this wine was purchased, 2) one of their own would have been implicated had they followed up on this bottle of wine or 3) they were too intimidated by the french police & govt to properly follow up on it.

Basic police work which those yahoos down in cork neglected because they were used to doing sweet **** all. Anyone that knows the gards know this is how they carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It was me who informed the thread about the French suspect, read back

There's loads of posters like you on this thread determining Baileys innocence or otherwise

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement