Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

The car side sounds fine so must be the app or cloud service which can be flaky at times.

I haven’t had issues setting air con but sending directions from the nav part of the app is hit or miss - sometimes I don’t get them in the car until days later! I have connected support but their response was vague…

Did you try signing out of the app and back in, or reinstalling the app? That will clear the cache which may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I plugged in at home last night on a 7kW charger and got the above message. Tried it several times and the same issue, it is pulling about 1.2kW of power (Even though the picture shows the normal time it would take to finish the charge). The light beside the charging port is going from green to red over and over.

Tried an ESB 50kW DC charger this morning and it would not work at all.

Went to the nearest ESB AC charger and it would only pull 3.6kW.

Reduced AC charging is not selected on the car.

Has anyone else had this issue or know of a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I’ve read a few people getting that. Seems to be the charge port locking mechanism.

A simple test is, when it is charging at 1.2kW (i.e. when error is up) can you pull out the cable? If the actuator was working you shouldn’t be able to pull it out. If the locking mechanism isnt working it throws that error and only allows low rates of current.

When you plug it in you should hear the actuator. It’s probably trying but failing to extend and lock.

probably a visit to the dealer or it might just start working again but likely to fail at a later stage, right when you need it most so I’d be safe than sorry and book it in.

There is also some suggestion that pulling the manual release cable might help to reset/free it up.

And jiggle the cable a bit, making sure it’s fully in, when it’s trying to lock. See if either of those help.

You're right about the locking mechanism. I didn't notice before but I can hear it trying to engage and fail to a few times after plugging it in.

I had called the dealer first thing this morning but the service department don't work on Saturday. So back to them next week.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Anyone heard anything about how VW Ireland will be implementing the upgrade to software 2.4 and replacement of the 12v battery? There’s nothing on the website.

• Advertisement

It will probably happen next year at the rate updates are coming out.

I can't imagine getting a 1L 3 cylinder Manual Polo again for my commute. They'll certainly not give me a id3/4.

I was once given another ID3 but every other time it has been an e-Golf, which is fine.

On the UK VW site they are requesting the owner makes contact with the dealer to arrange the update to 2.4 and the 12v battery change. I would have expected it to be the other way around with VW contacting owners when they were ready to provide this.

Hopefully won't be much longer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

new to me anyways, says VW will contact me (if I am reading correctly) - anyone badgered their dealer recently?

I haven't been in contact with my local VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I emailed to see if they were aware, they replied that it hadn't been made available to them yet but they'll contact me when it is.

I'm going to get them to fix my infuriating glove box rattle and possibly change the crappy Bridgestones when they're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Mine is still fairly new, 4500km, whats the issue with the bridgestones?

They don’t come with much thread depth to begin with and will need replacing before the Goodyears or Continentals would, if it came with those.

The Bridgestones themselves are ok in terms of grip etc, just that they don’t last as long as you’d expect.

I'm hitting 1 year on the road in late August, have less than 24k km on the clock, 40% of which were done on a set of Nokian winters, and the Bridgestones are pretty well horsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So the Goodyears are the only ones to ask for on the service plan replacement then as the Continental ones also have feck all depth on them.

Anyone know if the software is the same country to country?

I wonder if I could get mine done in Derry.

Never mind, booked for July 28th in my own dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Did they call or did you call them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wondering if we should bring both cars to the west on holiday. One of our twins is disabled and can’t walk long distances and the other loves hiking so we may need to split up some days.

I emailed them a week back, they said they'd be in touch once the software was available to them.

I saw a notice online that it was available in Ireland from yesterday, so emailed them again today and they booked me in.

Also enquired about a set of tyres via the service pack. They said they're using Goodyears because a lot of people didn't want the Bridgestones.

@ionity in kill, forgot I had another airport run tonight so I didn't charge at home last night.

Really horrified by the slow charging speeds of this car with 84 kWh battery. 53 kw from charger at 65% and 21 deg c battery temp.

If the tour 5 hadn't so much range to begin with I would have flogged it by now. My old 2017 BMW i3 could charge at 50 kw up to 85%at the same battery temp. This is a joke and I hope 2.4 changes that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Is it not 3.0 (probably 3.1 now at VW software speeds) that is supposed to make the significant changes to the charging curve and that sort of thing?

I thought it was 2.4 but who knows, the rate software updates are being released is pathetic. But I really do have to allow for the fact software like this is completely new territory for VW so I guess I can't be too hard on them but at the same time the charging curve for such a large battery should be a lot better and so should battery heating from out the door, this is not new technology and in that case there is no excuse for such slow charging, whatever about slow to be released updates.

They said they're using Goodyears because a lot of people didn't want the Bridgestones.

Surprise Surprise!

so emailed them again today and they booked me in.

Same. Looking forward to timed chanrging finally working. 2yrs it took them to deliver that! 😏

I dont know if you will see much improvement when you are plugging in at such a high SoC to begin your session. You would get a much higher rate at 65% if your charge session started at <20%.

Did you really need to plug in at 65% or could you have charged on the way home instead at a lower SoC, and then you would have got the higher rate you are after?

EVERY single time I've plugged into a charger I get 100kW but its always at <20% SoC to begin the session. Thats the key.

I think that's a question only Mammy can answer but if you don't mind me sticking my nose in then I think it's too far to take 2 cars for the one Family, compromise, do things they both like but can do together or at least some but as I say you will know best.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I was told the last week of July or first week of August as my dealer hasn't received a delivery of batteries yet. I'm not in a rush either way but next week would have been handy as I'm off work for a few days.

No I didn't want to inconvenience missus and Boys after a long trip that's why I stopped in after work.

Ah yeah I know I'll get much faster charge at low SOC which is bollocks to be honest, Just wanted to top up to be sure I'll have enough but I have 69% now Plugged out at 80% in Kill and have more than enough, probably get home with 30% or a bit more and thinking about it that would get me back to the airport again from Carlow and more. I think I do forget how much range I actually have in the tour 5.

I know I'm not going to get 100 Kw at 65% but 80 Kw at least should be do-a-ble or I'd estimate that batter can charge at 150 Kw in reality all the way up to 60% but they're probably being very cautious, in fact ridiculously so right now.

Can't always plan to be at a charger at 20% or less, with the range of the Tour 5 that would mean not charging beyond 70% most of the time which is mad anyway.

The moral of the story is really that it makes no sense to plug in to a Ionity or ESB fast charger about around 40% charge. Waste of money unless there's no alternative or you have a later version of software that allows a better charge curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ahh the benefits of having a smart charger.

ill stick with the charger over the car

• Advertisement

Yeah Ted, I'd not be bothered with the car's timer, even if it worked it seems overly complex, I'm more than happy with the Wallbox.

I think any charge point being installed today will have it's own timers so the car timer itself is much less relevant but it should still work, of course.

I can also update the wallbox pretty much instantly and much quicker than the id3 via it's crappy app.

Advertisement