Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Thanks.

A late August early September warm/hot spell has a different feel. It's not high summer. The fog can take a little longer to burn off. The light is a little different with the sun elevation lowered. But it's beautiful none the less.

Playing sport the evenings seemed to come in very quickly after 15 August. After a long summer, dew on the grass at 8.30pm was always came as a surprise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I hope we get another traditional back to school warm first week to September with low to mid twenties, then a much cooler and more unsettled week 2 to 4 of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Lovely morning with the sun occasionally showing its face unfortunately the cloud got thicker by midday and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Average enough mid summers day in Cork, pleasant, partially cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yes,don't mind early September being warm but when it drags on all month like last year I find it annoying as by that point I just want autumn to arrive. Though I don't mind autumn starting to arrive in late August with the first of the fairly chilly nights as can happen some years. Love a mid single digit minimum in late August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

For those with clear skies, full Moon on the rise tonight around 1030pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Too much cloud on the horizon bar brief peeks. Started to show better as it rose higher. Here it is between the Poolbeg Chimneys from Clontarf Seafront tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Next Tuesday's upper temps! One for posterity... Is 22c too warm for snow (thats usually what I'm asking when posting an 850 hpa temp chart)?

I loved last September. It felt like an extension of summer. Nights of 15c. 22c on 26 September making silage wraps. It really shortened the winter.

Overcast but warm. Meadows cut and Hay bailed.

Co. Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely day here in Kerry with less cloud as the day went on, turned out a fine afternoon getting up to 18.3C and currently 15.9C. Very slow to get going swimming this year but was in a couple of times this week, found the water a tad cooler today than the start of the week but lovely all the same.

NASA from earlier today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

With all eyes on Sunday to Tuesday it's easy to forget that this warm to hot spell is starting right now and temperatures are only going one way from here on in and thats up.

Tomorrow looks like a decent day with temperatures generally reaching 18 to 23C, possibly 24C or 25C in parts of the south.

It will be cooler along the north and west coasts where cloud may be more stubborn to break there.

Saturday see's temperatures increase further between 23C and 26C widely across the country. Still on the cool side along north-western coastal areas. By the afternoon tempertures along southern coastal areas may lower as a sea breeze kicks in.

Sunshine looks very hazy on Saturday with thicker cloud across north-western coastal regions.

and that's it before the heat arrives on Sunday. For some people the next 2 days will be very pleasant and not overly hot. Sunday and Monday will be much hotter than tomorrow and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I'm looking forward to this spell. Not expecting very high temperatures in Donegal, maybe mid 20s, which is lovely, but I will be keeping a close eye on the reports from across the country. Monday could be exciting.

One thing I will say is that there is so much media hype over a three day spell. The majority of people in Ireland have experienced much higher temperatures when they go abroad. Its not going to result in mass mortalities or chaos.

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Yeah the media are really getting excited. It’s 3 days with a bit of heat. It’s hardly like rampant wildfires or tornadoes or hurricanes.

Turning into a decent summer in the south east.

Good for farming on hilly ground anyway here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's St Swithin's Day....if it rains today it will rain for the next 40 days...😊

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it only in Ireland we have St Swithin's Day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I think it's an English thing really.

I can remember my late mother mentioning it (the day) when I was a kid.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Its actually the weekend of the 23rd and 24th I'm even more interested in here in Bray.

Its Airshow weekend, first one since 2019 because of the Pandemic. Gonna be mental busy especially if the weather plays ball and tbh I hope MT is right and its in the 22-24ºc range with broken higher cloud and Blue skies or full blue skies. I think if we were hitting near 30ºc that weekend, there might have been a lot of agro with 100,000 visitors to the town all cranky in the queue's because of the heat.

The Red Arrows are performing this year. The last time they did the Bray Airshow, it was the Italian Frecce Tricolori Display Team that stole the show that year because unfortunately for the Arrows, during their scheduled time there was dense very low cloud and they had to do their less spectacular Low Level display whereas by the time of the Frecce Tricolori Display, the clouds had cleared significantly and the Italians got to do their Full-On Display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

SMD is pretty high in Leinster now over 60. Though in 2018 it was over 100. If the thundery breakdown fails to materialise we may be looking at SMD of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

east Galway here.

back from Portugal since Tuesday and maybe it’s cause of the heat there but since I’m home it’s just cold, no real warmth in the air at all. Have to wear a top or jumper. Definitely not even bloody t shirt weather.

Post edited by obi604 on

Another cloud filled Sky.

Leitrim

Same in Sligo.

But dry. Sky news weather had a sun filled day. Theyr hopeless.

It's cold and cloudy. Could be any season.

A fair morning here in Dunshaughlin, plenty of cloud but some warm sunny spells as well, Temperature 20C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nearing the halfway point of July and to nobody's surprise, sun totals are not doing great especially in the north. Closer to average in the south.

Magilligan - 16.1 hrs 😳

Thomastown - 25.5 hrs

Aldergrove - 34.1 hrs

Belmullet - 34.8 hrs

Dublin Apt - 64.6 hrs

Shannon Apt - 76.6 hrs

Casement - 77.3 hrs

Cork Apt - 88.0 hrs

By this point in July, you would typically expect between 60-85 hrs. Magilligan is having an atrocious summer so far sun wise, same station had only 61.9 hrs in June. So its summer total to date is 78.0 hrs... that is utterly dreadful to say the least. Even if it's a digital sensor recording less sun there than a CS would, the totals would still be very bad.

Sligo is lower than Belmullet as they had a sunny enough day that we had 2 hours. I'd say we are around 30 hours and the dreadfully dull June too.

Today I see an imaginary line of somewhat warmer air moving North on the Satellite so tonight might be warmer than now. 14c now could be 15c tonight. Last night was 16c for a good while. Strange that night is warmer than day but I guess it's a morning cool down delayed somewhat by cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

One feature of our weather this year which I'm fed up of (here in Donegal anyways) is the constant breeze/wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Another cloudy day with misty rain in north Donegal. I would imagine we must be around the lowest average sunshine here in the country.

Unfortunately its not looking like the pattern is going to change much this weekend either. Hoping we may get one day with decent sunshine at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Today is a nice summer's day. Sun breaking through in West Galway. The damn lawn needs cutting though.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement