Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 - Round 11: Austria

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭thefa

Might be catching the wrong end of the stick on some comments. The risk-reward of the situation for Perez wasn’t great.

It was a ballsy move but being in the right of an avoidable accident doesn’t win him any championship points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Yep. Russell's fault but Perez only has to wait for the next corner, or about 30/60 seconds for the 1st/3rd corner to get him. A bit silly and cost him points

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There was a pair of them in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

He's a racing driver, if there's a gap then go for it. It was Russells fault, he probably should have got a stop go penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

No overtaking can ever possibly occur if you can't put faith in the other driver to play by the rules and not punt you off as you go by. Russell was 100% in the wrong. They really need to beef up the penalties to fit the crime and that kind of thing would happen less.

Risk and reward. The risk far outweighed the reward when he could take him soon after anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Was reading a post elsewhere from someone who was there, the marshal got a call to bring the truck as he was going to the car so had to run back and get it. From what I saw they had the fire put out fairly quick, it was far from a straight forward incident, possible oil ón the track that would send cars in on top of them, a big enough fire and the car rolling away down the hill. Fair play to the lad with the wheel chocks, I doubt it was his first rodeo, he/Sainz got the car against the barrier and got the fire under control. Its easy to criticise from the armchair (not talking about here BTW), some of the posts I've seen from people online are ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Excuses, excuses... in Indycar a marshal can be on the scene of a big crash before the cars even stop moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Indycar probably pays its marshals. F1 doesn't. Carlos could have tried steering lock to wedge the car against the barriers or into the gravel.

• Advertisement

Another excuse, F1 should pay its marshals then.

Carlos did steer the car against the barrier, thats what stopped him, but he absolutely shouldn't have had to do anything but jump out of his car. He was just lucky he ended up stopped beside the barrier, it was a complete joke of a response from the marshals.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

"it was a complete joke of a response from the marshals"

They did a fine job, marshals cannot run out onto an active track without permission from the COC. Plenty of marshalls have been killed before this rule was brought in. They do a mighty fine job for zero money and quite often zero gratitude. They regularly get the brunt of the drivers frustration as well. Its a completely thankless job that without them there would be zero racing. People that rag on marshals should do a weekend down at a local track and see what its like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya I wouldn't blame the marshals. Still though on the very few occasions we see a car stop on a slope, it appears to cause issue.

A few years back we had an abandoned car almost rolling on into the track.

All that is needed is a decent wheel chock at all marshal posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Re. being on a slope, I would have thought an immediate solution for driver would be to turn onto the gravel trap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I don't get this whole thing of blaming the marshals. The cars don't have handbrakes, marshals can't just run on to a track. Marshals had to try stop the car rolling back first

F1 isn't a local club meet though. There's more than enough money in the sport for professional marshaling, it's not really an acceptable fallback to say they're not paid and it's a thankless job therefore if any situation isn't handled correctly it can just be shrugged off. That attitude will end up with a dead driver sooner or later.

The whole process wasn't good enough and there was a huge time lag in attending to a car that was clearly in flames which the driver was struggling to exit. If they couldn't leave their post because of an active track, the track should have been made inactive quicker. The FIA clearly need to look at it and see what can be improved for next time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

"That attitude will end up with a dead driver sooner or later" Can you expand on this cos I don't see why them being paid will make any difference.

Not sure why you think just because its volunteer thats it's some sort of ramshackle thing bodged together. All the marshalls at F1 are the best of the marshalls in that country. Some even fly in from other countries. They are all trained in firefighting, extraction of drivers, first aid as well as the mechanical jobs (moving cars etc). Large numbers of marshalls also race at lower levels so they are aware of the in's/outs of the driver side of things. There was a delay as they have to get permission to enter a live track.

Look up the video of the marshall back in the day who ran out with a fire extinguisher and got hit with a car. He was killed instantly as well as the driver of the car that hit him.

*Edit I just seen who replied to my comment, not surprised its you*

You were the one who basically said they're beyond criticism because they're unpaid volunteers and it's a thankless job.

If being unpaid means they can't be held to high enough standards, then they should be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was Ferrari punishing him for defying them at the Brotish GP. A weird way of doing it ye but they did of course they will never admit to it. I am surprised there is no memes out about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

1. It would be weird to cause themselves 100ks in costs to rebuild, cost them points for the constructors, etc. Maybe it's more likely that it's not a conspiracy.

2. Plenty of memes, and they're free to view you'll be glad to know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Disingenuous bad take after bad take from you. Why bother at this stage?

• Advertisement

More excuses. If F1 aren't paying their marshals then that's on them, they have enough money to spare to have a team of highly trained first responders like lower formula such as Indycar. F1 isn't club racing...

I think you'll find that the marshals did run straight out, but then acted like something from a benny hill sketch.

If you go to your local track you'll find marshals that are paid to be there, for instance at a go kart race you'll find every marshal being paid 100 quid for their day with a free meal included too.

(I've marshalled many an event by the way)

Maybe your Internet issues are caused by the amount of tinfoil you have stockpiled for your hats.

If your local track is paying them then fair enough but they aren't generally paid. My point was that people were making the assumption that not being paid makes them automatically incompetent. You go tell a volunteer fireman that he may have saved somebody's life in a fire if he had been paid. See how that goes. The other point I was making is that they are trained, its not turn up and off you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm not on for having a pop at marshals. But it seems almost every retirement on track requires a safety car these days. Retirements are pretty rare. But the ratio of on-track retirement to safety car is pretty high.

I'm not in favour of racing with marshals in danger, but they need to have more teleporters trackside which can lift the cars without lots of marshals going on track. I also think drivers could do more to get close to the gaps in the barriers to make it quicker and easier to wheel the cars off the track.

Or maybe we just need to accept that there will be more safety cars and VSCs in races while they deal with broken down cars.

Ms

Lol. That made me laugh.

First of all I do not wear hats and second of all the only place I use tinfoil also known as catering film is in the oven when I cook something in the oven.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Yes I agree it certainly would seem like a crazy weird thing to do but this is Ferrari after all.

We all seen what Benitto was saying to Carlos after the British GP.

So whats to say they did not have this planned or maybe it was just a reliability issue.

Where Are these memes? I looked online and could not find any.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Has to be a wind up 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

So they sacrificed constructors points for themselves and handed Max a second place therby minimising his loss to Charles and damaging Charles championship bid for.....revenge against Carlos because they made the wrong decisions on Charles in Britain and Carlos salvaged a win for them.....yep, sure that makes perfect sense and is not completely illogical whatsoever 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭markw7

Jesus with the amount of buinneach you spout we won't feel the loss of russian fertiliser any time soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement