Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Delighted for Collins going to Wolves, bit of history of Wolves developing our players - Robbie Keane, Doherty and now hopefully Collins. Good move all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably down to wages and also knowing Kompany. It's very disappointing because I felt he could have done very well somewhere like the Bundesliga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Aaron Connolly linked to Venezia in Italy

Dawson Devoy officially signs for MK Dons. Lad is a baller and good to see him sign for a team that wants to play ball.

Shane Long back with Reading after leaving 11 years ago. Will be interesting to see how he gets on at a lower level and he's in great shape so could still play for another few seasons.

Omobamidele made his return to action yesterday playing 45mins, and Doherty also played 45mins today for Spurs against a K-League selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely a disappointing past 2 years in his career. Still, worse places in the world to be paid to play football all in all!

• Advertisement

No one to blame but himself. Had a manager that backed by making him part of his first team squad when he took over and Potter has finally ran out of patience with him.

He can change environments as much as he wants but as I saw someone say yesterday when you're the biggest issue that toxic environment will be everywhere.

Could be a great move for him. Don't know what the level is like but would have been looking at a bottom half championship move if he stayed in England. Could be a great chance to turn things around if he screws the head on right and knuckles down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hard to point the finger at a anyone else bar Connolly for his downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Depends on the way he looks at it. Could be an opportunity to relaunch his career. Playing in the Championship feels like a dead end gig for a lot of clubs and players. Experience a different type of football in a different environment might be what he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The problem with the Championship is that generally the lower down you go, the worse the quality of the football. I don't think he'd even suit a lower half Championship team like Reading, Hull, Birmingham, or Rotherham. Those clubs are looking for generally looking for strikers with a bit of physical presence who can hold and link up play. Putting Connolly in that sort of role would be a disaster, he simply doesn't have the physicality to do it.

I think this purposed move to Serie B would suit him better. He'd be better playing in a strong team in a weak league than the other way around. The only thing is that I've noticed that Venezia's only decent striker is about to walk out the door. Italy isn't a high scoring league and if he's going to move there as a main striker, he's going to be under a lot of pressure to come up with the goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

whats Shane Duffy’s plan. Move coming up to deadline day or sit on a big salary while hoping Potter gets poached by a bigger club?

• Advertisement

Could see Potter not wanting to leave him go and keep him as back up. One year left on his contract and he loves Brighton so might fancy seeing out his last year there before leaving. If he leaves Brighton would probably be on loan and they'd have to cover some of his wages for the year so couldn't see wages being an issue in him leaving or not.

He did a good, and very honest, interview a while back with Second Captains where it sounded like he had a really good relationship with Potter. That Potter was very welcoming to him coming back into the fold after the Celtic disaster, and that he really enjoyed the season. I could see him being happy enough to stay for that final year if the right deal doesn't come in - doesn't seem like it would be the purgatory situation some other players face in their final year of a contract.

He might have a great relationship with potter (he might not either, it might be just PR) but potter didn’t pick him even after Burn leaving so they’re of no use to each other.

Looking at their sqaud and 3-4-3 could be the formation they'll stick with this season which is good news for Burns. Be great if Devoy was kept around and starting but a loan wouldn't be the end of the world.

MK are well run behind the scenes and might see Devoy as a long term player and wanted to get him signed ASAP before Oxford or another club sign him. They wouldn't be sending him out to any auld club and would find him somewhere that suits his style and who also want to try and play ball themselves.

Think a Coventry, Swansea, or Blackpool could have been a decent move if looking at lower down championship teams but he's done **** for awhile to convince these teams to possibly take a chance on him plus his 25k a week wages would be an issue.

Boro paid his wages in full and don't think they'd have found another championship team that would have done the same.

That's a bit of an odd shout... Duffy started 13 of their first 15 league games last season. It was only getting injured that stopped him being a fairly nailed on starter for them over the rest of the season. Was out with covid in December, then a string of ankle and thigh problems from the start of January. Even after he came back from the ankle problem first, they were easing him back in by starting him in every second game around February/March - then he did his thigh in April and that killed the rest of his season.

Whatever way you look at it, starting half their league games - and the majority of the ones he was fully fit for - shows he is at least valued as a regular squad/rotation option.

Anderlecht look like they're going nowhere. Any decent players, they flog at high prices. The replacements they bring in are at a fraction of what the previous players were sold for. Doesn't look like the money exists for them to push on to win the Jupiler League.

Cullen is making the right move for himself (salary) and his career. The money he'll be on at Burnley will be much better than what he's getting at Anderlecht, and if he can get them into the Premier League, he'll do even better again. If he stayed at Anderlecht, he'd remain on buttons.

With regard to football, I've been very impressed with the business that Burnley have done so far. Kompany runs a tight ship and I would be surprised if they are out of contention for promotion next year. If he can bring in a 20+ goal a season striker, he'll get very close to automatic promotion.

Duffy's ability on the ball in this Brighton team is really poor.

Don't get me wrong. Duffy is a great defender, and an aerial threat in the opposition box, especially from set-pieces. But unfortunately, out of all our defenders, he is the worst ball player out of any of their options, let alone ours.

Potter is a good coach. I've never heard him run down a single player under him. I think he's pragmatic enough to know when he has a player, he has to get the best out of him, and that is what he did when he had Duffy last year. Whenever Duffy played, he always set Brighton up to play to Duffy's strengths defensively, but to the rest of the players when on the ball.

It’s very debatable that without injury Duffy was nailed on. If they play two centre halves who is he getting picked ahead of out of Webster and Dunk? If they play three at the back who is he getting picked ahead of out of Webster, Dunk and Veltman? Cucellera can also play in a three. Also with burn sold at Christmas and another centre half gone out on loan, they are at least one body short at centre half so could definitely strengthen.

Webster and dunk got injuries aswell and came right in to start after injury. Duffy didn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its about the level we could have expected to see Cullen at I think. Players usually find their level at this stage. Our best option perhaps but he isnt PL quality.

Collins to Wolves is good for the lad. Im still finding it strange that none of the bigger clubs wanted to buy him at that price. Perhaps they want to see him getting more game time at this level letting him develop even more. He would still probably be signed for 40-50 million in a year or two. Again thats a bargain when you look at what the likes of Ben White or Maguire move for.

Aaron Connolly just isnt that good lads. I dont even think its attitude at this stage. He played a lot for boro last season and seemed to have his head down. Just doesnt have what it takes maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

He might already have his 20 goal a season striker in Scott Twine

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be surprised if Wolves tried keeping him around this season unless the lad is adamant about wanting to play week in week out and pushes for another move. Though some talk they're willing to sell him if bids come in.

Their depth at CM isn't great with U23s Luke Cundle being their fourth choice CM for the seniors last season while also starting for the U23s. If the only offers coming in are loans could see them try talk him into staying with the seniors to replace Cundle as fourth choice CM and send Cundle out on loan.

Ronan is no spring chicken and will turn 25 next season so don't think he can afford to be sitting on the bench next season if he has aspirations of breaking into the national team.

Dean Smith says Adam Idah will be playing 45mins for the U23s against MK Dons this Friday coming. Good to see him back playing, even with the U23s, before the season begins and can hopefully show Smith that Pukki and himself should be his front two.

Coming into the last year of his contract and they've been in talks the last few months about a contract.

Would be a decent move for him I think. Even with Kompany being unknown within English football as a coach West Brom got worse when Bruce was appointed and plays rotten football.

It's also a good move for Burnley because with Collins gone they're left with inexperienced defenders and Kevin Long who Kompany mightn't fancy long term with him 32 and out of contract next summer.

He cant afford the wrong move either though. Its really gotta be championship or a european league of a decent standard for him. SPL or League just isnt good for him or us at that age.

Disagree as Hearts are guaranteed group stage football in Europe this season.

Hopefully this move can be the turning point in his career. Needs to do some maturing off the field.

It's a very left field move, and yet also seems to be a "penny needs to drop for him this time" move. Fingers crossed he applies himself. The contrast between him and the other lads, from in and around his age group, involved with the senior team is remarkably stark. The rest of them seem so much more mature/professional/focused than he has been over the past couple of years.

Seems he has the same agent as Scottish duo Aaron Hickey who was with Bologna, and Josh Doig whose just joined Serie A side Hellas Verona from Hibs. Agency must have contacts in Italy and see it as a better move for him than someone like a Reading or similar at the bottom half of the Championship.

Also will be playing at the same level as Liam Kerrigan and possibly Adam O'Reilly whose on loan at St Pats from Preston but also linked with a move to Como 1907.

If the penny doesn't drop and this move doesn't turn out the way he and his agent hoped it's hard to see where he goes to next summer with one year left on his Brighton contract. Scotland, somewhere else on the continent, or drop to League One and hope he can do a Scott Twine by scoring for fun in hopes a move materialises to a top Championship side.

I don't think anyone particularly expects that he's going to be first choice next season, but in terms of your statement that Duffy and Potter are "of no use to each other", the fact Duffy started half their games last season (even when Dan Burn was still there) would indicate that he is valued as a squad member. Be good if he can get a move that suits him, but it's not the end of the world if he sees out the last year of his contract - especially given how insanely congested this season is going to be.

Kerrigan will be playing alongside Cesc Fabregas at Como

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Citation needed on that one?

He's linked with Las Palmas at the moment, but is still a free agent as far as I can see

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Jaysus!

How many games at a high level would he get at hearts compared to the championshiop? I think he needs to be in championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Poor Hamlet! I suppose it is ‘To be or not to be’ this season for Conor Coventry.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Enjoyed that. Cheers.

This part stood out:

“It’s something we all believe we can do, because the feeling is that if you are playing at a good level and doing things properly in your career you will get the chance. I’ve worked with Stephen [Kenny] at the U-21s and I know I have his belief, that he rates me.

“When I went into one of the first camps and the seniors were there, I had barely played any senior game, I was thinking they would not have a clue who I am. What was I doing there!? But Seamus Coleman was the first one to come over straight away, talking to me like best mates, discussing injuries I’d had, the loans I’d been on and the last U-23s game I’d played [for West Ham].

“The way he spoke to me, I never experienced anything like that after. I just felt so calm and at home, like I belonged. We’ve played some practice games with the seniors and it feels like one big team, it doesn’t feel separate. Everyone is so together.”

---

You can see that how the seniors have been playing FOR Kenny. Love reading about our first generation players. Never let it be said they are any less Irish than anyone who by the grace of God who got to grow up in Ballyfermot, Moycullen, Dungannon or Tralee.

• Advertisement

It has to be said, the more you hear/read about the stuff Coleman does around the squad, the more respect you get for him. He just seems like a great lad.

Post edited by Brock Turnpike on

Exactly... we hear so much stuff about Maguire being captain of Utd, and how his performances don't warrant it etc etc - but this stuff off-the-field from Coleman, this is what's actually important in a captain. Leaders will be leaders on the pitch regardless if they have an armband or not, but a captain has to do all this extra stuff away from the game, making new players feel welcome, being an outlet for the experienced lads who are annoyed about game time etc, dealing with all the sponsorship stuff, and visits to hospitals, schools etc. Character and attitude and emotional intelligence are what matters, and he's worth his role as captain even when he's out of the team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had one of my sons friends recently ask me who my favourite player was. Not something I had considered since I was a kid myself. Coleman is the name that sprung to mind. You hear stories like this for Ireland and Everton.

Unlucky not to play at a higher level. Could have been in line for a big move that time he broke his leg. True Irish legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Absolutely. I love him. Epitome of what you want in a captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Tayo Adaramola set for season long loan at Coventry City. Very highly rated and with the lack of options we have at LWB I'd say this lad could be a senior international by the end of the season.

• Advertisement

Could do a Omobamidele and end up bypassing the U21s with odd couple of appearances. Only has the one appearance so far and don't think Bagan will be dropped for the play offs. Could feature again in friendlies next March if the 21s don't make it to the euros and if he impresses on loan could well be around the senior panel next summer.

Kid has pace in abundance which is something none of our other WBs, nevermind LWBs have. Think it will come down how each player copes defensively this season between Adaramola and Bagan. Adaramola has the pace but Bagan has a knack of getting into good positions in the attacking third and offering support to the forwards like Doherty but defensively he can be hit and miss.

Oxford United are the team he's supposedly signing with. They've been scouting here quite a bit with McNally, supposedly having interest in Devoy, and now McGinty. They also brought Sykes in from the NI league. Also Bohs youngster Promise Omochere linked with Fleetwood.

Suprised more teams haven't shown an interest in him this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Totally Football pod were saying Denis Wise is the Chairman of Como where Kerrigan signed to.

Yes it is mentioned in that David Sneyd article about Kerrigan

Killian Phillips starts for Palace against Man United. Adaramola on the bench for Palace.

Some preseason for Phillips so far - starting against Liverpool and United.

I see Spurs have signed a right back in Djed Spence. Doesn't look great for Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Doubt he'll come in and be first choice, still young and never played PL. Spurs will have a lot of games this season so Doherty should get plenty of game time if fit.

Good chance for him to impress Vieira with Palace having to leave so many senior players at home because of vaccination rules. Also a good chance that this might help him secure a decent loan move.

Anselmo Garcia McNulty has joined NAC Breda who play in the Dutch second division on loan for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Never really worked out for McEneff at Hearts, would have thought a return to LOI would have been better for his career

Think what's more worrying for Doherty is Conte wants to try convert Lucas Moura into a WB like he's done with Victor Mose and Ivan Perisic who they've also signed.

Fact Doherty can play both sides and has impressed at times on either sides probably means he's safe enough there even as a back up, and might see both Emerson Royal and Sergio Reguilon moved on. Would be easier for Spurs to move them on and make a few quid as doubt Doherty will want to move anywhere expect to another English club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement