Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I disagree, some elderly people in Ireland find temperatures in the mid to high 20's intolerable, you cant claim you know the limits and preferences of 5.1 million people, come on...seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 39,820 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I realise this might be a weird thing to mention but looking at the temperatures on the charts, it’s going to be a bad day for playing hurling in that heat in croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

OP said comparable to the high 40s in India , Don't start straw manning it with old people plus intolerable. They will be fine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

As long as Hawk Eye is suffering from Heat exhaustion and out of action, should be a cracker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,820 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know one of the umpires doing the game and I don’t envy him Standing there with all the gear on for a couple of hours. Seems like hawk eye has sobered up and is go for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭esposito

A few water breaks wouldn't go amiss. Max temperature for Croke Park will probably be around 26C but the high humidity would be the biggest problem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mod Note: Everyone has personal opinions about the coming possibly historic events and their opinions have to be respected, however nasty personal comments is not tolerated here on boards and any further insults directed towards others will result in warnings and posts being deleted. Can we all just enjoy what is about to happen over the next few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Eireann have just updated their temperature profile and now showing 28 for Sunday, 31 for Monday and 29 for Tuesday. This is well above anything Met Eireann has ever forcasted for this region of Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 18z already upping the ante bringing the heat in faster on Sunday..

Folks this is Game On, just a question of what happens

I was once in a London apartment, an old listed Georgian building during a heatwave. My bedroom was in the attic, but the building being listed meant that it wasn’t air conditioned, naturally, and the only window I had was a tiny shuttered south facing roof window which didn’t stop the sun - there were no curtains - but also didn’t leave in much air . The temperature outside was maxing to ~30°. The temperature in my room was 40°. After the first day I slept downstairs. A few years ago France had temperatures similar to the kind of temperatures normal to Spain and thousands died, while there was no excess deaths in Spain. Obviously hot weather causes problems to those countries not equipped for it.

GFS 18z still sweeping the heat away Monday night but not to the same extent as the 12z. Gets some places to 26 or 27C but no 30s.

GFS 18z still showing moderate to high chances of thunderstorms on the Monday and Tuesday.

another blistering gfs run for monday

the mid third of the country being scortched on this run...

you can easily add on 2 or 3 degrees to these maxima.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

Some charts show it only being 15c in the Northwest on Tuesday. Hope this isn't true. If we get over 20c Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday I'll be happy though as its been so cold here. Still only 16c today. Wish there was more cut off lows to send Southerly breezes and temperatures of 30c but unfortunately that Bay of Biscay low swings up over us Tuesday and eventually brings back the cold NW and W winds for an extended period.

Still I'm sure by Tuesday many here including me will be moaning that it's too hot and we prefer 18c over this any day.

in 30 years time this weather will become frequent every summer for more than 24 hours, maybe even 72 hours, unfortunately w'ill all be too old to enjoy it, so somebody born tonight will be some of the first irish people in the future to be able to enjoy 3 proper guaranteed days of proper med summer weather, i feel a bit emotional.

Post edited by squarecircles on

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Why am I getting a creeping sense that things are about to take a downgrade turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

30-32c in Ireland, for example, tends to feel 10c hotter than on the continent. Probably due to the humidity.

40c on the Greek Islands never feels like that for me. A sticky, sultry 28c here is harder to work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

I was rehabbing a sports knee injury in July 2006 when 31c was hit in the Midlands.

Anyway I was working with this fella Mark McCabe, big into S&C, in Dublin City centre. He had space in the open on a roof top, with an astro turf type surface. It must have been 27-28c in Dublin. He put me through an hour and half heavy core session with weights and medicine balls etc. The most exhausting session I did in my life! I was fit to fall off the roof.

• Advertisement

Being Donegal, and with something pushing up from the south you are more likely than Kilkenny say to miss out. The plume mightnt reach you. Though all the models say it will.

Likewise you're more likely to get snow on a North westerly or northerly, than Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Well said.

This can't be said enough, put out some water for birds over these few days in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

At the present time, the heat was so intense near the border of Spain and Portugal that temperatures have only dropped to 30 C at 0500h at one location (Portoalegre), after highs around 42-43 C. The air mass is very dry, dew points are close to 1 C in the core of the heat, but 13-17 C in France. In France it was 37 C at Bordeaux on Wednesday and 36 C in Paris (for daily highs). Temperatures have dropped to near 20 C or a bit lower in more rural areas so the full effects of the heat low are not being felt there yet.

The GFS evolution (00z) shows that some of this extreme heat is going to be pulled out over Biscay towards southeast Ireland, the marine influence on it will moderate it somewhat but there are certainly ways for one or two locations to reach or surpass the old national record of 33.3 C. Also what's left of the Atlantic low west of Portugal will be tracking across Ireland on Tuesday, interacting with that very warm air, and it is bound to produce a thundery breakdown on some scale. We won't really know the details on that for several more days. So, hot on Sunday and Monday, very warm and more humid on Tuesday with scattered showers and thunderstorms, much cooler on Wednesday is the current planner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭pad199207

The usual overcooked caveat apply especially with an overnight UKV but 35°c in the midlands anyone on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Upper temps of 22c!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met Eireann is predicting 32.5mm of rain here on Wednesday morning. For Sligo I'd say itl go a little something like this.

Friday 18c

Saturday 23c

Sunday 26c

Monday 29c

Tuesday 25c

Wednesday 15c and 40mm of rain.

Think Meath is going to be hottest but leaving my prediction in the flash contest. But parts of the Midlands will almost definitely get their highest ever recorded temperature in July if not all time.

Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

Can't wait for the heat was in NYC back a few weeks ago and it hit 37 one of the days and over 30 for a few of them. So it gave me a nice teaser for warm weather. Very interesting to see the thunderstorm possibility as had a massive Thunderstorm over there as well, I was on the ferry as it happened and was incredible.

This is a weather forum and the majority of people who read this forum have a healthy interest in the weather. Ireland's temperature record is almost 200 years old so we are potentially looking at a once in a lifetime chance of beating that record on Monday so everyone here is waiting with a bit of excitement to see if it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ECM probability charts of 30 °C being surpassed at 1300 and 1900 over Saturday-Tuesday. Not to be taken 100% literally but more as a guide.

Note: This is not the daily max, only the temperatures at those hours, so in between e.g 1600-1700 the probability will get higher.

Advertisement