Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Jack McCaffrey owes Dublin nothing. But he's a great player Dublin fans must have wished was 100% 'GAA focused' like say Dean Rock.

It's Jack's choice what he does with his time. But imagine getting 12/13 straight years out of him like James McCarthy, no interruptions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The commitment levels nowadays for a top level intercounty footballer are insane. I cannot imagine having to put that level of commitment into it while also juggling the pressures of being a young doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

You're damn right he owes Dublin nothing without him there'd have been no 6 in a row he carried Dublin in the 2019 AI final first game one of the best individual performances I've ever seen in an AI final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Gael85

Jack not even playing club football for Clontarf. Was working in England and now moved to Africa.

Of course he has a busy career that involved serious study.

Just saying if he had a different career etc and you got 12-13 years out of him, he'd be some asset. Envisaging a hypothetical situation here. Really praising the player's ability.

Post edited by WJL on

• Advertisement

Absolutely I agree thank God he's got a busy career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If he was a teacher theres a strong possibility Dublin would be going for the 8th in a row

Yes he achieved what he achieved in the game and moved on. Did it his way. The opposite is being a slave to the game and having a void on retirement. Always good to have a good career. People who are successful in one area generally are across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You seem to be missing my main point. The impression I get from you is that gamesmanship only irks you if Dublin do it. If another county did it- you I surmise would laugh about it. That is the impression I get from you.

For some reason you expect me to believe that it the first time you have heard people from opposing counties having differing views on refs calls!

But that is the nature of sport it can be parochial. And on occasion others can even be critical of their own county. Among themselves that is what people who watch games do.

There can also be varying opinions on refs calls from former intercounty players from various counties- Whelan (Dublin) O’Rourke (Meath) and Gooch (Kerry) all said O’Shea was entitled to go for the ball. But that does not fit your anti Dub narrative.

McStay a Mayo man -happened to have a different view - he said it should be red.

But that too would not suit your anti Dub narrative. As it is only when a Dub says it should be red, that you then pretend to get riled up

And I mentioned ‘schadenfreude’ because in your post about psychological issues. You seem to be revelling in the fact that some posters are diehards and still upset Dublin lost. And not only that, even though you tried to make it opaque are delighting in a Dublin loss. That is ‘schadenfreude’.

Personally I expected Dublin to lose. For various reasons, which were unfortunately proved correct. So it is easier for me to accept- better team won etc. Other Dublin supporters expected Dublin to win, so it hurts more.

But if you want to go analysising other Dublin posters. And someone analysed you back you should not feign surprise, because you were caught out.

Remember it was YOU who specifically asked me a question on other Dublin posters perceived ‘psychological issues’ as you put it.

And I dealt with the question and mentioned ‘schadenfreude’ and how some posters from other counties particularly enjoy a Dublin loss. Or listening to upset Dublin fans.

But you don’t like my answer, so dismiss it. Because it would not suit your anti-Dub narrative. And even admitting there exists ‘Schadenfreude’ against Dublin from certain quarters, would be utterly incongruent to your narrative so you avidly avoid it.

A more secure person would admit they were on the wind up. Which you clearly are. Cleverly done though.

I will repeat because the below point did not seem to land with you, or was wilfully ignored.

Dublin player Dean Rock who experienced gamesmanship (2017) accepted it was part of the game. This is one of the best freetakers in the history of Gaelic Football. Whose full quote in the aftermath was -

“You’d always notice lads distracting you, putting you off or calling you different things. That’s just part and parcel of it especially in Gaelic football,” he said. “You hear from spectators, you hear from players on the pitch. That’s just the norm.”

Now that to me means the players accept it. Even supporters from all counties booing opposing players frees. It is accepted. You can debate the unsightly nature of gamesmanship. That is a different question.

Any other fuss about gamesmanship or disgrace this and that ~ is just noise and playing the media game.

If you can’t see that you are more naive than you are pretending to be.

McConville actually praised Comerford for smarts. He gave an honest unbiased answer.

That is two al Ireland winners on gamesmanship. One praised it - McConville. And the other accepts it and shrugs it off - Dean Rock. I would pay more attention to AI winners of recent year than some random poster online letting on to be outraged.

Your opinion does not hold the same weight as a recent all Ireland winner. Or even an intercounty player. I am sorry.

But if you get a kick out of such things pretending to be outraged/annoyed it is no harm. You could be doing worse, I suppose.

Just as a matter of interest, was a county you support or despise - playing in the Kerry v Dublin AISF the last day? I think I know the answer…

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Would be impossible for Dublin to maintain that regardless if all the lads stayed on.

Jack just didn't enjoy intercounty and was drained from it. He also took year out in 2016. He spoke about 2019 after playing the game of his life. He thought final was onto into extratime and dreading having to go again two weeks later. Paul Mannion stated in interviews the demands of intercounty was too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Of course there are lots of variables but dublin were a kick of a ball from AI final for the last two years, safe to assume jack might have been the difference in both of those matches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭MfMan

Gerry McEntee, David Hickey (?), Liam Silke also doctors. Plenty more I'm sure?

The 5 all Irelands for McCaffrey probably decreases the hunger a bit as well also Gerry McEntee played the game when training consisted of a few laps and a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Jeysus the lad just doesn't want to play. So what like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Sean Hurson will ref the final. Always seemed like quite a strict ref who is quick on the whistle

Did I hear right Hurson from same club as Paddy Tally?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hurson is from Tyrone, Tally from Down I believe, so maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

This ^ from gaeliclife. com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭spurshero

If he’s a club mate of Kerry coach tally surely that’s a conflict of interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I reckon if Jim Gavin was still manager then Dublin would've beaten Kerry. The final will be interesting anyway. Unlike their misfortunate neighbours in Mayo, Galway normally do make it count once they get to a final. 1998 2001 and they should've beaten Kerry in 2000 as well.

People go an about Kerry and Dublins history and tradition, but Galway have a decent enough tradition themselves. I don't see this final being a cakewalk for Kerry at all. Galway will be underdogs alright, but they were underdogs in 1998 and 2001 as well, and they were still victorious on the day.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

One day, that Dublin 5 in a row team, will be appreciated.

The covid all Ireland was a bit of a farce. I thought Kerry were last years and this years best Panel. They blew last year. They nearly blew this year.

Galway should have no fears . If anyone looks back to Galway history in Finals, even their losses' were close run things!

Mayo 2012/2018, would hammer any of the last two years A.I. participants out the gate. No luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I'm not sure many will agree about that last part there, especially us mayo people .

It's only 10 days to the football all ireland. It's been a seriously intense period of inter county action.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Galway have plenty of tradition and always look comfortable when they get to finals. There is a historical belief there that they can win All Irelands.

The club scene in Galway is every bit as strong and arguably stronger than Kerry and Galway always produce top class forwards.

This final is going to be 50/50. I think Kerry supporters are elated that they have finally beaten Dublin and there is no Ulster bogeymen coming down the line but the wouldn't want to be too complacent about the Galway juggernaut coming down the road.

He's from Tyrone, he managed Down before which confuses a lot of people. Galbally Pearses is the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

A bit of a stretch to call it a galway juggernaut isn't it.

In any case, kerry have been caught with their pants down twice in the last 2 years so complacency should be well dealt with by now.

Anyway we'll get to see how good this Galway team really is, against a top tier team. If there is an all ireland in them! I think it's a year or two early and that is if they continue to improve. Have they sorted there vulnerability under the high ball that Armagh exposed? If not they could ship allot of goals....

They have a potent attack to be sure, but there defence will need to stand on its own 2feet without the aid of a massive blanket if they want to beat the top teams.

Joyce's approach to this match will be interesting, how good does he think they are? Will he go out to outscore kerry in a shoot out? Or a similar game plan to the Derry game. I think in a Straight up game of football they are shaky enough in the fullback line and could be punished badly. He'll probably go back to the blanket and try to stiffle kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

I think Galway will mirror Kerry who are very defensive themselves. Kerry play with a Morley as a sweeper in front of the full backline, they keep 3 forwards up and everyone else work like dogs. I think Galway will do the same they will probably have someone sitting in front of Clifford to help out his marker. They will have Comer as an out and out attacker supported by, Walsh and Finnerty and there half forward line will help out defensively. I think Galway have a stronger midfield and I also think they have the footballers to match Kerrys kicking game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Some interesting points there alright.

Kerry in effect play a 3 man midfield with one Of the named wing forwards(Normally COC) dropping in. They normally edge that area as a result. Playing a sweeper isn't straightforward. We were trying it for years before we got it right. You could argue Morley isn't even a sweeper. Just a full back that doesn't follow his man out the field. Allowing him to mark spaces instead of men.

Traditionally Galway played a kicking game similar to ourselves so they should be no strangers to it. Probably brought up playing that way. If they back themselves and come out to play Traditional, it could make a cracker. 2 kicking teams going at each other would be great. It could be also end up being th opposite with defensive systems and lateral passing.

Advertisement