Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I give up on this role right before the interview?

Options
  • 13-07-2022 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I think I already failed the interview without even setting a foot there.

Last night (around 6pm), I was invited for an interview on Friday and asked to perform an assessment 48h before the interview (which would have meant by 10am this morning). The assessment was also sent at 6pm.

I honestly misunderstood the deadline. I thought it was due within 48 hours (not due "at least 48 hours" before the interview - which made no sense since they sent it right before the deadline).

I was swamped with work and medical appointment last night and today. Therefore did not get to take the assessment until today 5pm (also because I thought I still had time).

I was due to have a call with the head-hunter (external to the company) to do a mock interview and they stood me up entirely. I sent them an email, no response. I asked myself why they would do that and now I realize it may have to do with the fact I didn't follow the 48h rule to the letter and they got wind of it (again, the test was sent last night).

It was big opportunity. I still cannot believe I misread the guidance. I definitely shot myself in the foot.

Should I just write off this opportunity already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I wouldnt write it off just yet. What I would do is prepare like the interview is still going ahead tomorrow and ring HR or whoever you need to in the morning, and find out if the interview is still scheduled. Fingers crossed 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Last night (around 6pm), I was invited for an interview on Friday and asked to perform an assessment 48h before the interview (which would have meant by 10am this morning). The assessment was also sent at 6pm.

Do you really want to work for someone who sets deadlines like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭thefa

Not standard practice for a recruiter to give a mock interview. I’ve dealt with a few and the most it’s ever been is suggesting a few questions that are likely to come up or a bit of background on the company/interviewers. Recruiter could be up the walls too and forgot to call.

Give the recruiter or relevant contact a call first thing in the morning to confirm interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FlippyFloppy22

It is not standard practice do to mock interviews, but I applied to a similar job through a recruiter 4 years ago and there was a mock interview as well. It depends on the industry, but for this type of industry, it seems quite common.

I emailed them yesterday an hour after the supposed call that never took place. They still have not answered when they're generally very responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think you are reading too much into it. Lots of things could have happened, you should continue to plan and sound interested without being desperate. Having mock interviews are not that common but often agencies want to say they have met you or pre interviewed you so they can claim that to the client. Emails can get various priorities. I get more than a hundred a day, so cannot possibly read let alone respond to all.

Phone calls after 10am can be better, but emails can work too. Just beware recruiters are not your friend, their job is to get a candidate that will stay 6 months+ so they get their commission to if they think you are not that interested or may not take the job they may give you low priority. Dont mention being with other recruiters or applying for other jobs as they may give priority to other candidates or recommend someone else to the company. Their job is to get someone to be offered the job who will take it. That way everyone is happy and they get paid, even if other candidates are better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 FlippyFloppy22

Post edited by FlippyFloppy22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

So what happened?

Advertisement