Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It’s the same exact cohort that are into this- led by social media likes and virtue signalling- it’s a disease

Who’s that? Some useless NGO with their snout in the same trough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

If the Irish people want to take in 200,000, 300,000 or half a million then let it be their decision. . . . But they have not given consent to this mass influx of refugees and FF/FG have no mandate to implement it.

This is simply the decision of two people in the country - Martin & Varadkar - whom, I suspect, have their eyes on top jobs in the EU after the next general election as there's nothing to suggest these two are compassionate people when i see their records on health, education and primarily housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AnaB

Our neighbors 2 refugees confirmed themselves they are coming from the region not affected by the war. Nothing going on there. Other members of their family staying at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Indeed as I predicted- an NGO bottom feeder https://nascireland.org/staff/fiona-hurley

Not that we needed mystic Meg around the place

And how does your neighbour feel about their charity being exploited like this?

That’s because SF are all for it- likely the government aren’t taking in enough for Mary Lou

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Im not able to listen in on the radio conversation but I hope someone with a different viewpoint is there to balance out the conversation although with Claire Byrnes show, nothing would surprise me.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It really has become quite the Rag

Great user name by the way 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The lack of housing or hotels at least will hopefully stop this kind of arrivals . If you come out of a basement in Mariopol then you will take what you get .But anyone coming in the hope of housing etc will think twice now before coming .I see alot of posts now on Facebook seeking housing and being told by Irish and Ukrainian posters that we are full .

I have already mentioned and it may be time to consider this for your home. It’s a must in Ukraine and Russia!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Not one Ukrainian story in sindo's front page. Considering that capacity is full you would think it should be front page news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Any predictions on what the next move is going to be in this fiasco?

Tents are not a viable long term solution and if we get the weather that is predicted for the next week, i'd imagine a tent in a car park is not going to be the most comfortable place to stay.

They are all relatives. The neighbor is living here for a long time and Ukrainian herself. So once the door has opened, they joined here immediately. I guess she getting 400 p/m to keep her close relatives safe!!! I am aware many old immigrants from Ukraine did same thing - their mothers, sisters immediately came to Ireland. So families joined now at very bargain

With 2 post your making quite a number of assumptions on a thread that's being running for months.

I don't believe anyone looking for rebellion, they are looking for common sense.

What happened during the pandemic is entirety irrelevant but that was one serious issue that to a certain extent affected everyone equally.

Now we've a situation that numerous crisis are affecting people and not so equally.

People are rightly upset, there's numerous ways they can vent their frustration, I've my own approach by contacting numerous public representatives and government departments, none of whom can continue to stick their heads in the sand, they are finally taking notice.

People watched on initially with sympathy and understanding, then were aghast at what was going on, now they are annoyed and dare I say growing public anger is begining to be noticed by a government who've their heads were the Sun doesn't shine.

I don't particularly subscribe to fairy tales or equate what's being going on with another issues but this carry on, by any measure is exceptional and not just extraordinary, its actually making other crisis worse.

I won't be marching anywhere, I know precisely what I can do and won't let up.

I'm not getting into lockdowns, Restrictions, Covid, there's threads dealing with that, take your anger and frustrations there if you want to discuss these issues.

I see Michael Martin now blaming the UK"s NEW asylum seeker policy on this debacle and Robert Troy (FF) Complaining about over crowding in a hotel in Longford.

These people on a different plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just being pedantic but she is not getting €400 yet because no one is yet

• Advertisement

Why’s that- the U.K. have (quite rightly) tightened up their approach and we are the next soft touch in the welfare shoppers radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

yes no one batted an eyelid or took it seriously so it disappeared again the next one will be called cow pox and we will get it from dairy product and red meat !!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

As this whole debacle appears to be gaining some momentum and generating media coverage.. even Claire Byrne has covered varying aspects of it this morning.. I wonder if it will encourage those previously reluctant public representatives/opposition parties to raise their voice without fear of being labelled 'racist'.

Even if they only use it as an 'stick' to beat our government leaders with. At least it might force those at the top to account for their atrocious decision making and rethink any future plans.

Although I fear too much damage is already done and the consequences irreversible.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

Eamonn Ryan is to blame ^

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

During Covid: "Our health service can't cope with the demands, lock down the country, put hundreds of thousands out of work, close businesses, add billions and billions onto our national debt to pay for it"

Now: "There is no housing availability in the country but still come here in your tens of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

How hard would it have been to assess available space and what can be rented and refitted, inform the UNHCR of the number of spaces available and co-ordinate with refugee bodies to fly in the most vulnerable to Ireland from the camps they've been displaced to?

Jesus, I don't count myself as the smartest guy in any room but it doesn't take a genius to understand that the emotionally incontinent response of 'just show up and sure it'll be grand' was pure lunacy. We have a government that couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery. Sadly I can't see the opposition being any better, if anything they're likely to double down on the current crowds stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Its happening behind the scenes. Look at the helping Ukrianinans in Ireland on Facebook pages, you'll see lots of comments from bogus accounts telling people they will get "sorted" for accomodation.

Do gooders are also adding to this fiasco, by offering rooms when the state can't cope, they are adding to the drain on public services.

Enough is enough. Stop enticing them over and tell them Ireland cant help you here.

Just because a flag waver has a spare room does not mean they should be allowed in. As we the tax payer has to foot the bill, while the flag waver will be getting 400 quid.

Call that the double paddy screw.

Wow, who’d have seen this one coming?

Old central terminal building at Dublin Airport being used for Ukrainian refugees

https://www.independent.ie/news/old-central-terminal-building-at-dublin-airport-being-used-for-ukrainian-refugees-41839394.html

So just to clarify. The UK's NEW policy has barely got off the ground, they not even succeeded in sending anyone to Rwanda (a policy I think vile incidently)

And now focus beginning to be directed at the farce in Ireland, MM blaming the Debacle that being going on here for MONTHS.

Also just to reiterate, that majority of Asylum seekers caught up in the current debacle were actually invited here by the previous government, they are NOT avoiding UK, they were invited by a previous Irish Government, who seemed to have forgotten this fact.

MM is yet again up to his pass the Buck antics.

• Advertisement

Kinda slow process, sure they will be back paid than 😉

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement