Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Protest in the Netherlands by Farmers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Farmers have been getting squeezed more and more every year.

The number of schemes they have to join to make a bit of money is gone ridiculous. Having to collect **** samples, having to weigh cattle (which costs money btw), DNA samples etc. And that's on top of alllll the other day to day things farmers need to do. And the money out of doing so is damn all. There's so much more as well.

As for your comments on unnatural pesticide use. Do you think farmers want to be using so much of it? Do you know the cost of it? It's mad expensive stuff. Farmers do what they need to do, not what they want to do.

Sri Lanka banned fertiliser imports and that devastated the rice crop and led to food shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2 years ago, the plan was sound and an excellent idea which would have brought much needed stability to their complete overreliance on agriculture, it was supposed to be phased in over 10 years, it was arbitrarily phased in basically over night because they didn't have the foreign currency to pay for it.

To replace it they went for a far "cheaper" organic substitute which turned into a complete corrupt cluterfúck.

They reversed the ban, but due to bad weather (climate change) and missing the harvest the yields were down.

Now fertiliser is up 10 times more expensive and with the increase in fuel prices they can't get their product to market.

But again it has fúck all to do with green ideology and all to do with mass corruption and mismanagement by the chuckle brothers, one of which is currently trying to find a country where he can't be forced back from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I know a little about this area , some farmers use reasonable amounts of pesticides where as some drowned the place in it ,I'm not advocating an outright ban ,a reduction is coming however, its dangerous stuff for locals to inhale fumes from and many barely fields are close to dwellings

Farmers go through good times and tough times, right now is a good time ,farmers never admit to doing well but always have money when land comes up for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

So you believe that the answer to all problems world wide are countries to become self sufficient in food by farming organically where every country would become a self sufficient agricultural utopia. There are any number of flaws in that idea as I already mentioned, plus the fact that in living memory the creation of an agricultural utopia was the primary policy of Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia, and that really did not work out well. That is not the only example. The history of communism is littered with similar.

What is happening in Sri Lanka with food production, or more aptly the drop in food production, is a direct result of green ideology around climate change. One of the main plank of their arguement on climate change is that it is not an issue that is going to be solved by countries on an individual basis and has to be tackled globally, and I agree with them on that. Yet when it comes to food the idea of tackling the problem globally gets turned on its head with nothing other than each country individually becoming self sufficient by farming organically. It really comes down to on farming greens attempting to get rid of anything they do not like while not having a viable alternative. And it`s not just confined to Sri Lanka, they same is happening in the EU with wheat, sugar beet and other crops.

If farming is so worth while then why do so many have to work off farm job?

And as for saying they have money for land? Most of the time it's the bank.

And now is definitely NOT good times for farmers. No idea how you made that out. 2 or 3 years ago a tonne of fertiliser could cost 350. Now? You're talking 1200. And farmers buy tonnes of it each year. Without fertiliser there's no grass growth

• Advertisement

So you believe that the answer to all problems world wide are countries to become self sufficient in food by farming organically where every country would become a self sufficient agricultural utopia

Nope, again you are seeing things I'm not saying.

I suggest you re read.

But simply, if the vast majority of your economy is agricultural based and the success of that is based on a foreign commodity that can fluctuate widely in price and availability then that is beyond daft. Again evidenced by Sri Lanka.

Absolutely nothing to do with green ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Why are we allowing massive data centres which aren't very green...when we can thrive without those, but can't survive nevermind thrive without food

We made data centres strategic. Probably one of the states daftest decisions. The stupidity of it was highlighted at the time but shouted down.

Now it's a problem. A big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭straight

They say a little information is a dangerous thing. You seem to be a perfect example of it.

At least I`ve made an attempt to read what you have posted, which from your replies avoiding the points I raised is more than you have appear to have done.

Organic farming is part and parcel of green global ideology. When it comes to global agriculture it`s the only ideology greens have. It`s an ideology at the COP26 beanfeast Gotabata Rajapaksa fell all over himself embracing and then attempted to put into practice with disastrous results.

The realities are that the Sri Lankan attempt highlighted with such massive drops in yields of staple foods and agricultural export commodities the fallacy. To even get back to where they were with agricultural output using organic farming will require much more land being planted. Not only will that require more labour input it will increase prices. It would also most likely in Sri Lanka require large areas of forest having to be cut down to provide that extra land. For green ideology, the practice of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

All that to just take them back to where they were before the insanity, and that is not even taking into consideration the projected growth in populations of countries that are barely able to feed themselves as they are. The idea that global food problems can be sorted by all individual countries becoming self sufficient through organic farming is nothing other than a glib green nonsense reply when questioned on the harm their ideology would do to agricultural output globally.

• Advertisement

You keep using Sri Lanka as a example of failed green ideology.

It wasn't.

It's a failing state due to mass corruption and poor decision making and fact the state is bankrupt and could not afford chemical fertiliser and still can't.

Unless you acknowledge that fact there is no point discussing it further, is there?

Price of cattle has doubled since 2019 ,milk price is 50 cent per litre , inputs have shot up but so has product price ,grain will sell for 400 per tonne this year, as for the banks funding purchase of land ,banks only lend to reliable and solid borrowers

Wow ,I'm just floored by you're debating skills

Try being less reductive maybe?

Inputs have more than doubled in that timeframe. Fertiliser a few years ago was 350 per tonne or less. Now it's 1200+ per tonne. Animal feed has soared, and still soaring. Green diesel used to be got for mid 40's cents. Now it's nearly trebled. Farm machinery has gone through the roof.

Banks lend to farmers because they have track records of paying it back and have assets to back it up.

As I said, if the money is good in farming why do so many farmers need to have an off farm job?

Why the continuous evasion ?

You claim that organic farming isn`t part of green ideology when it clearly is and it`s an ideology you have been supporting here. As a supporter of that ideology then what the Sri Langan government not being able to afford chemical fertiliser has to do with your belief of organic farming being the panacea to global food shortages is mystifying as organic farming does not entail the use of chemical fertiliser.

And why do you keep avoiding the fact that the straw that broke the camels back in Sri Lanka was being forced to go organic which has resulted in huge decreases in yields for basic staple foods and export commodities, as well as you not putting forward a single suggestion as to how you believe Sri Lanka will get back to those levels of agrgicultural output farming organically. Or indeed how with the forecast of population increases how any of those countries barely able to feed their populations presently where those populations increases are expected to be among the highest, will do so farming organically ?

I couldn't give a bollíx about green ideology, but that doesn't mean I can't see the benefits in some of it's ideas.

I never claimed organic farming isn't part of green ideology. In fact I have offered no opinion on organic farming whatsoever. You sure you are reading my posts?

My point was which is not my opinion but a fact, is that Sri Lanka moving to ban chemical fertilisers over night was fúck all to do with green ideology and all to do with the fact they had no money to pay for it. Which is exactly what is happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Animal feed prices are collapsing along with vegoil prices.

For someone that supposedly could not give a bollix about green ideology and has no opinion on organic farming you are certainly going through a lot of contortion attempting to avoid acknowledging that it was being forced to farm organically that was the reason for the huge drop in crop yields in Sri Lanka.

It was being forced to farm organically over night which contributed to the drop in crop yields. Farmers refusing to grow crops in protest and the fact that the organic substitute was floating in a Chinese boat off the coast for over 2 months also contributed to lower yields as well bad weather caused by climate change.

The reason was not environmental, it's because Sri Lanka is broke.

Again, none of that is my opinion, that is exactly what happened and is happening.

But if you want to just stick your fingers in your ears and go "Organic is the Devil, look at Sri Lanka". Then by all means fill your boots, I have explained what happened at least a half dozen times now.

No good showing me commodities prices, show me prices in the stores now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Farming has always been asset rich and cash poor. The only reason banks will lend to farmers is because of the asset valuation you are completely correct in that.

These data centers are an absolute joke, but what a lot of people don't know is how they are offsetting their emissions as google and all these 'great' tech companies are 'carbon neutrol'. Private investment firms have been buying up forest and bog land in the west of Ireland on be half of these companies and they are claiming carbon credits for the sequestration of the CO2 from the bogland and forests too offset it against the data centers energy consumption as well as paying a premium to the ESB for 'Renewable Energy'.

The turbary rights and hoohaaa in the dail about bog is not about turf in the slightest its about land grabbing this carbon rich bogland so the government can sell these credits to these multinationals and therefore these companies can have a great A+ ESG score and keep Investment flowing into Ireland as it is seen to bee sustainable yet the farmers cannot trade these credits among themselves. Nearly all of the bogland in Ireland is privately owned, the government needs to land grab this in terms of carbon rights - I am from the west of Ireland, no way in hell I will go full bull McCabe but they will not claim credits off my land that I own that has been based down through generations in order to sell us out to the multinationals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are not divorced, they will follow. And bulk animal feed prices are down 25-30% over the last few weeks.

Nonetheless, efforts to address climate change and environmental damage will obviously not come for free.

As I said, if the money is good in farming why do so many farmers need to have an off farm job?

You could flip that though, why would someone with a job bother with farming if the money is so poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Economies of scale. The average farm in Ireland is approx. 32.4 hectares or 80 acres in old money. That's a small farm. Ireland has an awful lot of small farms and it's harder to make a decent living off a small farm than a large farm.

Dairy farmers made €456 per acre; tillage farmers made €228 per acre; and sheep farmers made €125 per acre. https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-31009852.html

Multiply any of those figures above by 80 (average farm 80 acres) and you'll see figures that won't have the average farmer driving around wearing a fur coat and a crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Add to that that a dairy farm is a 7-days-a-week operation.

Land rarely comes up for sale. It is a very scarce commodity. When it is bought by full-time farmers it is usually either by already very big farmers, or by farmers who received a windfall and all they can think to do is to plough it back into more land.

It can often be sometimes by lads who grew up on farms but work elsewhere (there was a story in the paper about a "local boy done good" arriving in in a helicopter from his job in London to buy up a small farm in Clare or Limerick recently. They might have an idea to retire back there some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

If farmers are making decent money at the moment then by god do they deserve it.

Anybody posting here actually a farmer or worked on a farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

I would assume it's to do with feelings of family tradition, heritage, love of the lifestyle and other things that don't solely boil down to money. Not everything does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They have a different mentality to townies. The townies want their 9-5. Their evenings and weekends is their "me" time.

For the part time farmers you are referring to, their evenings and weekends are just the opportunity for them to look after the place at home. That is what they were brought up doing and they generally want to mind the family place to give it to the next generation.

You standard 9-5 is only half the week to them.

The ones with small holdings need an off farm job, holdings are on average very small here ,that's a separate issue anyway

• Advertisement

You really are running all over the place attempting to ignore well documented facts on organic farming. Crop yield over all crops is 16% lower farmed organically with some crops having much higher percentages. There have been numerous reports by Reuters, The New York Times etc journalists in Sri Lanka who saw how low the yield was for rice and other staples. As much as 30% - 40% lower. If you do not believe the journalists how is your take on science ?

Professor Buddhi Marambe a world renowned expert on crop science told the BBC "We cannot achieve total food security only with organic farming" and that was not just something he came up with off the top of his head. He cited the study carried out by the Department of Agriculture, where he was Senior Professor at the Faculty, over 22 consecutive seasons at Batalagoda, the rice research center, showed yields using just organic fertiliser dropped between 21.5 -33%. He was far from alone among agriculture scientists in Sri Lanka to point that out on rice as well as other crops. Including Ceylon tea which is a major export commodity for Sri Lanka.

I presume the Chinese boat with the organic fertiliser you are referring to is the Hippo Spirit ?

If it is the reason "the organic substitute was floating off the coast for 2 months" was that the Sri Lankan authorities refused to accept the cargo after testing it and identifying bacteria harmful to plants like carrots and potatoes.

Btw, nothing to do with me believing Organic is the Devil" Over more than 20 years I grew potatoes and vegetables using seaweed I harvested myself at Spring tides, artificial fertiliser, and once purchased dried seaweed. I didn`t measure the exact percentage but the potato harvest from the harvested seaweed was substantially lower than that from artificial fertiliser, and the dried fertiliser was a complete waste of time and effort.

Advertisement