Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

The media have been groomed to only go after opposition parties. That's quite clear. Every time there is an election RTE pull some old IRA story out or give airtime to Lya McKees parent's ect.

Any politician who complaints about Ukrianinans will be have their photo shown on RTE media in and angry pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

The UK won't take refugees fleeing from ....France, so now we're swamped! Danm UK and their disinterest in asylum shoppers! It's all their fault!

You seriously couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 catmandont

Literally advertising in third world countries to get into Ireland?

This is why

The government's of this country do not represent this country or it's people. It is as simple as that.

Again and again, decisions are made that, at best, ignore Irish people, or at worst directly and negatively impact Irish people. In very serious ways, in fundamental ways that will last decades if not longer.

It will come down to what it has always come down to throughout history, the people are going to do something about this country themselves, and take it into their own hands. This isn't a branch of some multinational company, this isn't a refugee centre for the planet, this isn't a halfway house for anyone who swans in, this is a country that belongs to its own people. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's a new low, utterly disgusting.

No one denies we've a small percentage of asylum seekers coming here illegally but it's utterly preposterous to even suggest the UK's RECENT decision is the cause of the Debacle here, the UK'S decision, May, only May impact Ireland at some stage but its absolutely nothing to do with the mess our government have made .

I again reiterate the current wave of asylum seekers is not a wave , approximately 600 actually invited here by the last government under an agreement, pre pandemic. They knew they were coming and either forgot or just yet again were not prepared.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

"You'll own nothing, and be happy"

Klaus Schwab World Economic Forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭glen123

I've been helping one refugee who is here with a very disabled family member. They live in one of the hotels and they are from a badly effected area in Ukraine. As I got to know her better, she told me 70% of people around her where she stays are from the West of the country where nothing is going on. Some are boasting they rented out their apartments back home to refugees coming from the East of the country and that they are going to stay here for as long as they are getting the social welfare benefits. Once that stops, they'll probably leave they say.

I mean, you are being fed 3 times a day getting 900eur per month (that's a single rate with no child increases and child benefits, etc) for nothing with practically zero expenses when the average wage back home is what, 300eur pm with prices going through the roof.... Would you decline such an opportunity to save a bit of money while doing nothing? I doubt anyone would and only the Irish government is to blame really as people in general will always be doing what's best of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 44 catmandont

*"While we own everything"

The utter madness at play in this country is only going to stop when people take action at local level and individual level.

I heard he was meeting the Airlines about the Baggage debacle today and yesterday, a little late for that, its being on for 2 months 😏

interesting that the emergency government meeting today is being reported as discussing accommodation alternatives, not the actual policy of waving people

government still is not listening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

About 40 TD's sitting in the Dail right now on RTE, glad to see them take matters so seriously, those missing must be getting their homes ready to take in new arrivals 🤔

I was at an appointment this morning, waiting outside to be called in and what do I see right in front me 🤔 three of about 50 properties in Tullamore, lying in this state for at least 8 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

When you have the media in your pocket like in Ireland any such stories won’t ever get published- they know what side their bread is buttered on. Especially during convid

• Registered Users Posts: 82,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE not allowed in to film the conditions in the airport, how convenient for government and RTE.

Of course not!! Oddly when the Ukrainians first started arriving RTE were camped out there- what changed I wonder?

I'd love RTE to ask a Ukrainian arrival why didn't they stay in the first country they arrived in outside Ukriane, or you know Ireland can't handle all the immigration?, as as have no accommodation for Native Irish people never mind immigrants. So why are you coming here?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

To be fair Ukrainians are metropolitan people. Tullamore would be a culture shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭MysticMe

One of the most expensive countries in the world, Switzerland's welfare payments to those seeking temporary protection is €508 per month, this does not include food.

Ireland has it at €208 x 52/12 = €901 monthly.

France: €204 monthly

Germany: €330 monthly

Czech Republic : 5,000 Czech korunas (CZK) monthly for 5 months only.

Cyprus: €340 one-off payment.

Interestingly, there was a referendum in 2017 in regards to those payments: "Voters in Zurich decided in 2017 to lower welfare payments to refugees to around 500 Swiss francs ($522) per month, 30% below standard social welfare levels."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukrainian-refugees-queue-food-wealthy-switzerland-2022-04-23/

Come winter when Irish people can't afford to heat their homes or have a dinner while all these ungrateful blow ins live it up in warm accommodation we pay for, you'll see riots.

But then again, if the past few years have thought me anything is that Irish people don't seem to want to cause hassle or upset the government. And the government know that.

They know they can lock us into our homes, blow billions on a children's hospital amongst other things, be all buddy buddy with big corporations and pour loads of people into this country who probably couldn't even find Ireland on a map. They have been getting away with it for years and will continue unless we all grown a backbone.

Look what happened in Sri Lanka when the people are pushed to breaking point.

If Pearce Doherty wasn't so woke he would walk the next election. A great speaker and could rally a crowd. We need someone to stand up for the working man and women. Not just spout lefty soundbites about more welfare ect.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭glen123

Because majority do zero research and are not aware of what's really going on in Ireland - unable to google properly or spend hours and hours reading places like boards considering poor English. However the grapevine is working really well transmitting the info about level of benefits being paid out, even in FB group dedicated to helping Ukrainians there are still posts like don't worry, come to Ireland, you won't be living in the streets as they'll find you somewhere to live.

Staying in poor Moldova or even Poland? There is possibly more accommodation there but I don't think it's free unless you live with a family hosting you + practically no benefits or none that would be enough to cover food. For example Poland pays 180eur pm for 4 months and after that you either get a job or I don't know what. Moldova would be even worse. Poland is cheaper than Ireland but 180 per month is nothing there. So of course people looking at all these numbers would choose Ireland considering all of the above. I know I would.

I find him dreadful- a real empty vessel. Extremely aggressive with nothing new or innovative to say. SF simply despise Irish working taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SF's primary agenda/platform is something that in real terms, people down here don't care about - Irish unification.

We have enough problems here (even before the events of the last 3/4 months), we certainly aren't ready to integrate and compromise with Unionists, and we definitely don't want to pay for it.

They appeal to the "protest everything" sort, but for Middle Ireland and SMEs (who pay for and provide everything) they offer nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dmac01

People do care about Irish reunification, just because you have a partitionist mindset, doesn't say others do also

I care about it in so far as I’d like to see it- day to day though I couldn’t care less. If it happens it happens basically- far more worried about paying my mortgage etc

Confident that’s a typical view too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Read the rest of my post - particularly the second paragraph.

Agreed. Hate when people think they speak for everyone.

Listen back to the NGO leech Fiona Hurley on Clare Byrne today- quite illuminating as to where these scammers sit

• Advertisement

Wants pps numbers doled out immediately to all “asylum” seekers. Sounds great yes, fastrack to full welfare and state handouts- control our borders NOW

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement