Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Yet he will be Taoiseach.

The people that lost sit in opposition, difference is I would never refer to any TD as a “loser”.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No blanch, ‘losing’ is about losing.

The jury is out on whether going in to government will be another decimating loss for FG. Signs are not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Pretty much the attitude that has us here. We are here and we’ll do what we want and fcuk everyone else. The housing crisis is the highlight grabber but pretty much every single category of service that the government has influence over is at the moment in complete disarray. Been trying to get my young lad some occupational therapy and speech and language and despite an Asd diagnosis it’s just not happening. They point blank refuse to let him in for any help because he’s not bad enough. Add in child care, class room rates and availability, children hospital, metro, maternity hospital public transport, energy, it’s endless. I reckon it started before Fg ever got in but it’s snowballing to a crescendo now it seems. Nothing works efficiently in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps you don't understand Irish politics. FG did not win the last GE. It did not win the 2016 GE and it did not win the 2011 GE. In each of those elections, it relied on other parties to make up a working majority for government.

Technically, FG lost in the 2020 GE. It lost in the 2016 GE. It lost in the 2011 GE. It lost in the 2007 GE. It lost in the 2002 GE. It lost in the 1997 GE. It lost in the 1992 GE. It did not win a majority to govern in any of those General Elections.

There is no guarantee that Varadkar will be elected taoiseach by FF and the Greens. His election as taoiseach is dependent on those votes. FF has its own problems and it may be about to replace Martin as leader. It has already held at least one meeting to discuss what happens next.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Good for you.

If I was a member or supporter of a party whose reigns were handed over at the height they were at, and watched them sink to the lows they are now, especially when the majority voted for the other lad, I would be fuming and want them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Not me B. I told you, for the good it did.

So you think being gay makes a difference in government. What is that exactly?

I asked questions. You see lies and bots everywhere. I'd get that looked at.

I think if they can't make money off it they've no interest. They got hammered by Dobbo the other day on not following up or doing much of anything on the retention of organs without the family's knowledge.

Mind you, if there's money in it, like housing, they'll happily make the deal that makes their friends the most money. The tax payer isn't given a thought.

You see again another lie, when did I say been gay makes a difference in government?

No need to answer because I have no interest in you lying again.

“Technically”

😂😂

Keep digging and at some stage you might actually stumble across something relevant

It has been fun but I must bid you adieu

It is incredible how the win for the government in the motion has really given a massive bump to the parties and to the supporters across the country. The positivity is heart warming

Even the thread on here gave a resounding thumbs up to the government parties.

Long may it continue

Not sure why the constantly lying about posters is required, then people say they want to "debate" and are "interested in politics", then proceed to lie in every post. Very childish carry on.

I think that Martin is under a lot of pressure and it seems that the majority of FF is planning for a new leader. This IT poll has probably set the cat among the pigeons in FG and there may be a few articles floated in the media about how various FG politicians would like to be leader (much like Donohoe's run before Christmas and John Drennan promoting McEntee in the Irish Mail on Sunday). The problem for both parties is that there isn't much talent in either. With FF, it is either Jim O'Callaghan or Michael McGrath. With FG, it is either Paschal Donohoe or Simon Coveney. (Jennifer Carroll McNeil would be a better choice than either of them (but not Helen McEntee) but she's only a first term TD).

The Homelessness issue is a major problem for FFG and Martin in particular. Look at this clip from RTE with Sarah McInerney asking him about the subject:

She is a better journalist than Miriam O'Callaghan. Now, look at Martin's hands as he is trying to answer. Notice the rat-like clawing motions. He had these actions largely under control and used open handed gestures but once he is put under pressure, the old habits emerge. Sarah McInerney is probably one of RTE's best journalists and she did not let him off the hook.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The winners of an election are determined by who goes into government. FG were winners in 2011, 2016 and 2020. They were losers in 2007.

The losers of an election go into opposition. Simple as.

I see the new mantra of the MONC bringing down the government has been changed to FF and the Greens not electing Leo. It is like being in a surreal opposition remake of "The Great White Hope".

No matter how you want to propagandise it, FG lost. FG lost the last GE and was beaten into third place. It did not get a majority in 2016, 2011, 2007, 2002, 1997. FG did not win a majority of seats to govern.

To put it in simple terms for you: FG lost.

It may be upsetting for FG voters and supporters but that's reality. Of course, if you are not an FG supporter, it may not bother you.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes, developers try to make money. Much like shops who sell us food.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Whatever you want to refer to Leo he has not being the electrol asset many of the party hierarchy thought he would be when they went against the members and made him leader . Maybe they thought he would deliver big time in Dublin and that would be enough .

I'm trying to get my head around all these Housing commencements.

We never hear about when they'll be actually finished, just commencemrnts 🤔

We're hearing about all these Local Authorities renovatiing 1000"s of unused buildings, Where 🤔

Actual completed Social housing completions seem incredibly Low 🤔

There's certainly development going on in Dublin (Apartments, primarily for rental purposes) 🤔

We know there's a chronic shortage in skill trades 🤔

I've personally heard of Sites closing due to increased costs 🤔

I personally know projects were builders have walked away rather than loosing money (projects half finished), essentially cheaper to shut sites down. 🤔

I know a senior person in Building supplies and they are pulling their hair out with lack of supplies, almost weekly price increases, literally only able to give quotes valid of a matter of days and having to reduce credit terms. This not a woodies store, major player. 🤔

I'm no construction expert and know most of what the housing minister says is poppycock, but just at a basic level and looking at one sector I'm coming to a conclusion it's one big fairy tale combined with a lot of wishful thinking.

Heaven knows how much its costing government (US) to cover developers on public projects, extra costs, despite contracts in place and subsidising other developers to build all these apartments 🤔🤔

Now we've Mica rebuild and other promises 😳 who exactly is going to start sorting out the Mica buildings

Quite the conundrum, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah ffs

Up to 100,000 apartments affected by defects, Dáil told (rte.ie)

Up to 100,000 apartments affected by construction defects, Dáil told

The leader of the Labour Party has said that "up to 80% of apartments built between 1991 and 2013" may be affected by construction defects.

Speaking during Leaders' Questions in the Dáil, Ivana Bacik said it is expected that a report on defective homes, which is due be concluded next week, will show that "up to 100,000 apartments have been affected by fire safety and other defects - with up to 44,000 in the process of being remediated right now".

Ms Bacik described the scale of the problem as "immense", affecting every county in Ireland but was particularly "acute" in constituencies in the capital such as Dún Laoghaire, Dublin Fingal and Dublin Bay South.

----------------

Even the apartments they did build are defective. How was that allowed given our planning and building regulations?

I am sure the minister will go after those shoddy developers....oh wait...

What a legacy.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Again, questions aren't lies, even uncomfortable ones you won't answer. The discussion was about politician LV and how poor a politician he was or wasn't. You mentioned he was a doctor and made reference to his being a gay man. I asked what that had to do with him being a politician? Do you think being a doctor makes you good at governance and cancels out how mediocre he was in every role? He was a nothing in health. Do you think because he's gay he's somehow different than the other politicians? You brought it up B.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Stunning stuff. Get over it. FG are in government, that is where the winners are. Losers sit on the opposition bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVFf3kAyXJ8

You sound like the Liverpool supporter on that call-in, trying to make out that someone else won the trophy rather than the ones that ended up on top.

Mary Harney called it, one day in government beats a year in opposition.

Personally at the time of Leo's victory in the FG leadership contest , I thought it was more about looking for a younger, fresh face , Slick on media, Trendy , hip so to speak type person to lead, move away from the Tired , stale leadership of the past . I cant recall how close the contest was between him and Coveney.

Leo's really not made much of a difference to FG fortune's apart from insuring they've diminished, that's a simple fact .

He quickly proved himself to be superficial, Arrogant, surprisingly extreme , Petulant, lacking in genuine empathy , Smug and more recently, viciously Petulant.

I believe a large cohort within FG were not entirely happy with his appointment, for various reason's. True he's been in charge a long time, true also, he's overseen a dramatic decline in FG fortune's and indeed reputation.

I'm quite happy for him to continue 😏

• Advertisement

Not really. You are comparing apples to oranges, but also choosing to omit the word crony. I doubt I need to remind you of the golden circle or how the last financial crisis was helped on it's way, and it wasn't from shops selling blocks of cheese.

Developers need to be reigned in, more so than ever during a housing crisis. All the land with full PP that they are hoarding is ridiculous and that isn't even half of it.

Absolutely. There should be massive empty lot penalties.

But many of them also want to build more units then they are being allowed due to swarms of objections because anything other than semi-D units gets lambasted as ruining the "community"

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

The losers of an election go into opposition. Simple as.

Well then, based on this, it seems even Leo was of the belief, he and his party were losers.

The objections are usually not without merit. There are plenty of places to build that wouldn't be objected to also, what is stopping them from building there? Or do they just have tunnel vision for maximising profits? They could build 6,000 homes tomorrow in many areas, yet they seem to be focusing on small land pockets that they already know will come with plenty of objections, until somebody somewhere finds a loophole or creates one and they get the green light for it to be objected to again.

It's not all one way. Developers don't just get to pick and choose where to build and then complain and moan when people unsurprisingly object.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Perhaps but we'll have to see what the Budget looks like.

There are plenty of places to build that wouldn't be objected to also

Such as?

The objections are not without merit if your goal is to maintain the value of your home and limit those who can live in your area. The inevitable outcome of solving the housing crisis is increasing density and lowering of house prices. And every last politician panders to this nonsense because there is no reason for them to care about non-constituents looking for a home over homeowners who already live there.

Also they don't charge 50 euro for an apple knowing you need an apple to live and that the government will use tax payer money to cover any shortfall you might have.

Housing is unique in that the suppler sets the price based on how much the seller or landlord can get away with. If the ability for the customer to meet that price isn't there, they don't need to lower it as the tax payer picks up the difference.

Why else have we investment funds buying up properties knowing the gillies in government will pay for 25 year long leases? Basically if you've money to pay for or buy builds the government, local and national, will bite the hand off what ever terms to offer. Unless of course such deals are blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

FG only went into government in 2020 to stop SF getting in and Leo recently said he would go into government again if it meant stopping SF getting into power.

Post edited by skimpydoo on

Housing is unique in that the suppler sets the price based on how much the seller or landlord can get away with

This is not particularly unique. Though yes, government intervention in the housing market then distorts any semblance of a free market. One could argue food banks and social welfare for people still in work are the same thing (admittedly currently a bigger problem in the UK).

Most government interventions seem to have a perverse impact on just boosting the market. It is a very complicated issue to solve. However, no matter the solution it will ultimately involve shitloads of building and that is currently very difficult and generally opposed by every party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Most parties would be keen not to allow SF take power, it's not uniquely FG. Despite the inane mutterings of some FF TDs, there is no great fondness for them in that party either, nor in Labour. I doubt the SDs have them on their Christmas card list either.

As an aside, I genuinely don't get this vicious antipathy towards all party leaders. It's a representative democracy, not a presidential one and if people's voting intentions are driven by such vitriol they might want to review their concept of democracy. One can vote for what one considers a good local TD, even if the overall party line is not fully to your liking.

Advertisement