Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

To quote democracy as an argument for an unelected Tory membership of 200,000 to select the Prime Minister of a country of 66,000,000 people is a bit hard to take. What is democratic in a political party setting the rules for electing the PM?

At least the Tory MPs have been elected in a general election. Mind you, most were elected in safe seats where there was no real choice for many of their constituents. Plus, only 43% of the electorate voted Tory at that general election.

And you cry out for democracy - pull the other one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was a passing, flippant comparison of two countries relative anger towards government ineptitude and/or corruption. And, TBH, obvious sarcasm but if we're talking about usual behaviours you'd wanna watch your own habit of playing the intellectual superior while refusing to actually put up (or shut up)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,488 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, Ireland is completely and utterly irrelevant. You're merely trying to derail the thread. Thanks for confirming albeit with the usual victimhood nonsense.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Aw grand at least you concede it was a flippant remark made in gest. I accept your withdrawal of the comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,644 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not aware of any termination payment for Ministers here. And 36 hours service would still leave you pretty much a whole two years short of getting a pension for the role.

There's a loss of office payment to TDs, of two months salary; and you need 6 months service to get that at all - Malcolm Byrne wouldn't have got one in 2020, albeit if he had he would have had to pay it back anyway when he became a Senator.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ireland has always been more expensive than the UK.

It is more expensive to serve the Irish population than the UK population because it is more diverse, and less urban and more rural. The UK has a lot of wealth that Ireland has yet to accumulate - we have yet to get a metro system, or even rail access to Dublin Airport.

Cities by their nature are cheaper to service that towns or rural area because infrastructure is less dispersed and more cost effective. We really only have one large city, and even that is not that large, and does not have the level of infrastructure that cities of similar size have in the rest of the EU.

Why are we comparing prices between UK and Ireland and not France or Italy and Ireland? Demark is of a similar size to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So the solution to a flawed democratic system is to skip one of the existing democratic steps?

The members voting (something that is open to everyone in the country technically) seems fine to me. Again why would you want bypass it?

(By the way I'd be happy if the Conservatives membership dropped to zero and the party ceased to exist, so really don't understand your dig in the last sentence)

My remark is to highlight your cry for democracy in an obviously deeply flawed system that has little or nothing democratic about it at any level.

Their voting system (FPTP) is a variant of popular* voting that hardly comes on the scale of democracy - a bit better than a dictatorship and better than ballot box stuffing that happens in some 'democratic' countries, but not by much. It is nearly a century since a single party Gov has achieved a majority of the public vote. The only exception was the Tory/LibDem coalition Gov. A huge percentage of MPs are in safe seats, that never change the colour of the rosette no matter the candidate.

So putting lipstick on a bad system does not make any difference - it is still bad.

• By 'popular' I mean 'by the people' - not 'favoured by the people'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Do Irish supermarkets secure-tie anti-theft tags to packs of butter or blocks of cheese, like some UK supermarkets have started doing lately?

As for what to expect to happen in the UK, watch this autumn-winter space, when strained household budgets collide with the uplifted energy price cap. And that’s assuming no change in the pan-European energy supply mix (i.e. that Russia actually resumes some supply via Nord Stream 1 post-maintenance shutdown) by then.

By many metrics (currency volatility, life expectancy, academic outcomes, social mobility, child poverty <…>) Britain is slowly sliding down into second world country status, and has been steadily dropping in the G20 ranking. No surprise, given the absence of captaincy and policies for a number of years, the same global challenges as everyone else, turbocharged by a side-helping of self-applied trade sanctions.

I’m not seeing any policies proposed by the current no.10 hopefuls, apt to turn this around any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭raclle

What happens if none of the candidates gets the required number? Does it then revert back to the old system where they discuss amongst themselves who's best to lead?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They can simply keep eliminating the worst performer until they are down to the final two candidates and send those out to be voted on by party members. From what I recall from another article the goal is to have the final two by 20th July and they are skipping the normal process of going through county votes to simply send it to all members for a single vote setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,833 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And labour are gong to table a motion of no confidence today against the conservatives in the commons. I don’t think(but open to correction) that the motion will happen today, it’s being tabled today

• Registered Users Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's a bit stupid really. The Tories have already admitted they have no confidence in him and will vote to keep him until they can finish their process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Labour is hoping the Tories will pick another incompetent leader and it will surely see them as favourites to win the next election. Liz Truss is probably the person they want to win. I can't see the Tories voting for some of the other lesser known nut jobs.

If however, the Tories elect Sunak, Javid or their new Chancellor, Labour could find themselves in trouble.

They are 'serious' politicians and Labour will have to battle over policy, rather than bashing their leader weekly.

Labour have already ruled out revisiting Brexit which has annoyed many remainers. So a difficult time ahead for Labour if the Tories don't elect a nut job.

In fact, Labour should endorse some of the serious candidates and that will hurt their chances of winning.

It’s a bit of a show alright but it’ll force conservatives to vote and get it down on paper and labour is they’re smart can use it against the conservatives in a future election.

Ha I like the idea of Labour showing support for Sunak to sink him.

I would be firmly putting Javid and Zahawi in the nut job category though.

Some of these candidates have some serious skeletons that might appear like Banquo's ghost - just to spoil the party. That list of the whip's weapons should make a few worried. Plus the new chancellor being investigated for financial matters might harm him - or perhaps not.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The Tories are not going to allow the vote to go ahead unless it's changed to only reference the Government and not Boris as they say it's a waste of everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

A pound of butter is on average €3 here in Ireland. It's 40% more in the UK.

Irish beef is much cheaper to UK wholesalers than UK beef even with transportation costs and Brexit to contend with.

It's just starting to hit them and they will see it get worse gradually.

Tories did this damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Labour whipped their lords to abstain on a Lib Dems amendment to the schools bill entitling those children in families on universal credit to free school lunches.

I honestly don't understand what Starmer stands for, and as has been mentioned by others his, "well at least I'm not Boris Johnson" pitch won't work if the Tories elect someone less shít than him. He seemingly has a relaunch every other month, and yes, he is still the son of a tool maker, with 3 new meaningless key words on the posters. He needs better advice not just jumping to the tune of each new focus group finding.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭moon2

It’s understood Labour didn’t tell its peers to back the amendment amid concerns it was too widely drawn and because the party is working on a similar campaign through other means.

Did labour whip their lord's to abstain, or did they not whip them to vote for the motion?

Didn’t work very well did it as 29 of them voted for it.

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Lords/Division/2849

3 of them voted for it, not 29

There's no way only 3 Labour lords would have voted for that amendment unless told not to do so, even if that were the case mealy mouthed briefings don't make them look strong, they make them look like they're playing politics. Another doozy yesterday a Labour MP bragging that Labour councillors are being suspended in Scotland for refusing to vote with the Conservatives.

I took the one that was last on the votes but didn’t see the other one.

I read Natalie Bennett the Green peer and former leader (actually seems sound enough) said the bill was a mess and shouldn't proceed any further anyway, so maybe who did or didn't vote for that amendment won't matter, she abstained. If the bill does limp on though it'll have been a missed opportunity imo.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A few weeks ago, the police took his speaker before returning it the following day. Now the Met have assigned two officers to follow him around to make sure he is safe - I'd have expected that in Russia or China but London?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What an absolute waste of police resources; and presumably, that's also time wasted in scheduling and management behind the scenes too. And IIRC the Tories have already slashed budgets and rationalised departments(?) - talk about priorities.

It's utterly stupid. All they are doing is giving him more platform and a higher profile.

The more attention the MET give him the more people will think he has something to say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But this policing action would not have occurred unless a call was made from Westminster to get them to allocate two uniforms to him. On this basis, what other government critics are the police being told to follow?

Advertisement