Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

I thought the ref was consistent yesterday. He let the play flow as much as possible. Tipp played a straight forward free short and nothing came of it, and failed to convert a one on one with the goalkeeper, so they had chances. They completely dominated the last ten minutes.

Possibly Offaly lost it in the first half, they were very dominant and hit quite a few wides. I think early in the second half Tipp had taken 7 from 10 chances and Offaly 11 from 19 which I think reflected the balance of the game.

Offaly's half backline gobbled up the Tipp puck outs in the first half, much less so in the second half. Looking on the telly I thought Offaly's hurling especially in the first half was much slicker than Tipp's their forwards, especially the two corners were like will o' the wisps, really quick and desperately hard to mark. Whatever way Tipp set up in the second half the spaces weren't there for Offaly to feed the corner forwards as effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Those two corner forwards wouldn’t have been as effective if backs were properly coached on how to tackle the runner. Several times Tipp players had those two on the outside and tried to use the shoulder instead of standing off and making them throw it up . Fair play to offally for playing traditional hurling. Tipp subs made a difference again, great to win an all Ireland in all tight games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Tommy Dunne and Curran have stepped away. Players have raised concerns about preparation. Bonnar can't go on if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Interesting few days ahead, decision due in the next week apparently!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

There's a county board review meeting tonight.

• Advertisement

Talking to a few people who seem to believe that is that for Bonnar. These things always gather legs quickly. Hard to know what will happen. But if players are unhappy with prep that's that, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

It’s for the best , forget about the skill levels , the players were not fit enough and were no where close to the level

there is a man in Waterford well able for it, get him at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

An absolute farce that he was ever hired to be Tipp senior hurling manager in 2022.

The job was obviously beyond him from day 1, as he set about reaching new low after new low with this team.

Lost to Kerry, a dismal showing in the league followed by the worst Championship performance in the history of Tipperary hurling. Completely embarassed by Clare and Cork.

No gameplan, players miles off the pace, terrible fitness, no puckout strategy - the whole thing was an absolute laugh.

Players privately calling the whole thing amateur hour, as well as his own team abandoning him tells its own story.

The County Board should be utterly ashamed that the appointment was ever ratified and if the best that could be done last year was Colm Bonnar (it wasn'tm given Willie Maher was also interviewed), then a few egos needed a serious bruising then and they needed to look outside the county towards the likes of Micheal Donoghue, or anybody else who was interested.

Thank f*ck some of his own team walked out on him to basically make his position untenable, because the CB would happily have p*ssed away another year trying to prove themselves right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Listening to Tippcast today rumours that a panelist who is a teacher in heading to Dubai next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

If you can't have the team fit and ready to go for the start of the championship that's a real indictment of your preparation. Some of the more experienced members of the panel would have worked with under other strength and conditioning programmes so they know what's good and whats not. These things cost a lot of money so maybe that was an issue and. Still really depressing the week before the All Ireland and we might be looking for a new management team

• Advertisement

Wells said

as I posted previously I emailed flloyd after the cork game and asked him what exactly was he doing in his role that justified him being kept on.

To simplify I stated tipp is too big a county and too wealthy a county to playing the sh1t that was played this year. We should be making semi finals every year minimum. Funny enough I asked to look at the minors this year, drawn from the whole county, not just the chosen ones who live in the north of the county, that bias is still a problem in tipp.

Tipp county board members are obviously talking to the media. Giving Colm the hint - bow out on your own terms. Whether he'll do that remains to be seen. I don't think he will. That's not his character. He'll have to be pushed. County Board will have to do something. Unless the players go to him and say that's that. If the county board don't do it, you could have a situation where Seamie, Forde, Barrett and Noelie have a word. But you'd be hoping the county board will deliver leadership on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

I don't believe that Tommy Dunne and Paul Curran left of their own accord. Bonnar already got instructed to shake up his backroom team.

I have no idea if he'll be kept on or not. The team's preparation this year was poor. In one game, can't remember which we got three frees in a short space of time, all from left half back roughly. Three different players took the three frees and all three went wide. At the time I thought it showed shocking leadership, like they were making it up as they went along.

They changed the goalkeeper halfway through the round robin. Surely they knew at the start of the championship which keeper was better suited to what we are trying to do.

The real let down this year was the poor showing of the players that came through in 2016 and 2019. So few of them stepped up it was so disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Bonnar officially gone according to Newstalk just now

"Following a very comprehensive review the management committee have made the decision to relieve Colm Bonnar from his duties as Tipperary senior hurling manager.

Tipperary GAA wish to thank Colm for his contribution during his time as senior hurling manager and wish him well in the future."

Imagine being Colm Bonnar right now. You get your dream job. Ten injuries. One year - out the gap. Nightmare. Poor prep is unacceptable, and the job is untenable. But my heart would go out to him. Must be one tough morning and week to come.

Who's your replacement?

Whats Cahill's plan?

Could Cummins step up?

Willie Maher talks the talk!

What about Darren Gleeson, Dara Egan..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Whatever about sacking bonner one year into his 3 year term our supporters should be ashamed of the lack of support they have given him and the team. The lack of support particularly in Limerick and against cork was disgraceful. If we ever reach an all Ireland final there wilbe no shortage of "loyal supporters " filling the prime seats. Also bonner is presumably getting the road because we failed to get out of munster but now the front runner for the job is a man who also failed to get what was widely regarded as the second best team in the land out of munster! A man btw who turned down the tipp job last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

Brendan Cummins is the man..Great motivator..but he will have an unenviable task ..a team full of players on the wrong side of 30 and stars ready to retire .tipperary senior hurling is in transition..how slow and painful it will be is anyones guess ..I Say anything from 3 to 5 years before we been talked again about challenging the top tier..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I thought Bonner was a full time GAA coach in WIT or has he moved on from that?

• Advertisement

Are you kidding! How many of the starting players this year are on the wrong side of 30?

I was told in Kerry a week ago that Bonnar would be gone and Cahill would be Tipp manager. I didn't believe him.

And another lad, who'd be fairly in the know, would have connections to the panel and board, but he does get things wrong, told me today that Cahill will be Tipp manager.

I'm not so sure. A lot of people are annoyed at the way bonner has been treated and certainly don't want a man who turned down his county when the county needed him.

I'd imagine Willie Maher is ringing every board member this morning, if not calling out to their houses. He has been like a bulldog with a wasp in his mouth ever since Bonnar got the job.

ah cry me a river

Liam Cahill turned down the job just like the CB turned him down in 2019

tipp need him to rebuild the tipp team , there is no one else,

buts let be clear if he comes in he will clear out all of the older lads bar a few who will play ball

no one is safe under Cahill - you could find if he got it players like Ronan Maher Barry heffernan could be dropped altogether.

liam Cahill will demand 100% respect and dedication , don’t give it your gone.

it’s what we need

So you're more or less saying that Cahill acted the cry baby in 2019 because he didn't get the job! Is this the same 2019 when we won the all Ireland under sheedy? Cahill failed with a team that was regarded by many as the second best team in the land and now somehow you think he is the solution for tipp. He was offered the job last year and turned it down, cheerio , let's at least appoint someone who would appreciate the opportunity to manage Tipperary.

Liam Cahill was all but assured of the job in 2018 before having the rug pulled from under him at the last hour! I can understand his frustration.

He had Waterford as the second best team in the country for his first 2 years, I can see why he wanted to stay on. Didn't work this season but he did win the league and that's not to be sniffed at.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Players like Breen and Heffernan, who have pace, might actually flourish under Cahill.

Players like Ronan Maher and John McGrath might face the chop.

some people are alphas , they would see the CB giving the job n 2019 to the man who was interviewing candidates as a slight , welcome to how some men view the world

• Advertisement

Well if cahill feels he was sleighted in 2019(btw we actually won the all Ireland under sheehy that year) then surely he's not going to be interested in the job now.

Advertisement