Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

It was a fiesta owned by Jules which she let Bailey drive - Bailey didnt have a car of his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I am by far no legal expert, however in Ireland there is "Habeas Corpus", meaning they have to present him in court. Trial in absentia is not possible.

I don't know if the Irish could extradite a French citizen to stand trial in Ireland? And then the prosecution would still have to prove that he killed Sophie beyond reasonable doubt? His fingerprints or DNA on the murder weapon? The tricky thing is, that the murder weapon wasn't a knife or a baseball bat or a firearm where fingerprints and the bullet fired can be traced to the owner, but something which could have been handled or touched by anybody for all sorts of perfectly innocent reasons. A stone rolled into the lane, and he removed it, to continue driving, a brick at the pump house touched in order to look at something closer, or fix something, all innocent explanations which are hard to contradict.

And remember, he's innocent until proven guilty. I am guessing there is not a statute of limitations for murder ? But more than 25 years onwards it won't be easy to convict him. However when faced and confronted with certain evidence, he might confess to murder?

That's what I understood as well. I would also guess that Jules would never allow Bailey to drive that car after a few drinks, thus I don't think Bailey drove the car at the night of the murder.

I don't think Bailey drove the car at the night of the murder.

He did

On a side note "tuned into Gaelic"? Did he mean Radio na Gaeltachta? Did Bailey speak the language? I knew he used a Gaelic name at times.

• Advertisement

He may have said that in the statement but he didnt own the car. Jules owned the car and allowed him to drive it.

Anyway it is immaterial who owned it - the fact is he did have access to and did drive the fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Remember, back in the 90's, having a few jars and driving home was quite normal in rural towns.

Anyway it is immaterial who owned it - the fact is he did have access to and did drive the fiesta.

it is not immaterial who owned it. If he didn't then he lied in his statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I’d say it was well known whose car it was. Hardly an incriminating lie in that particular statement.

I know, but I doubt Jules would have allowed that to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

In the morning? Couldn't have been live coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Might have been a local junior game on the radio or something? Doubt he meant Raidio na Gaeltachta but you never know I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭leath_dub

On a Monday morning, in December? Unlikely!

Bailey wouldn't strike be as a big GAA fan either

December

How do you think they got home then?

In RTE's The Du Plantier Case Jules says "Ian went and got the car and we drove on home" If he got the car he was driving it it's unlikely he would then moved over to allow her to continue the drive home. And she was drinking too. It was on the way home Ian said he had a funny feeling "something was going on"

I’d say it was well known whose car it was. Hardly an incriminating lie in that particular statement.

nonsense. in a murder in vestigation why would you lie about owning a car or not

he also lied about sleeping all night in that statement

just like it's "well known" by some he didn't kill her

He just said my fiesta as this is the car he used. Its just the way he phrased it under pressure. My husband owns my car - I refer to it as my car. I own the car my husband drives - he refers to it as his car.

Your getting your knickers in a knot over nothing here. It doesnt matter one bit who owns the car. He is not denying that he drove the car or had access to the car!

He wasnt arrested for stealing the bloody car!

No it's not he could say Jule's Fiesta or the car. he also lied re leaving the bed. Jules also lied about this until they were caught out. He may have driven to Sophies or maybe to Alfies and just decided to knock on Sophies door. The light was on apparently. Makes more sense than hitman from france hiding at the water pump. And so what there was no blood in the car. it just happened that way. were there blood he may be in jail. it would have been on his coat maybe he wrapped the coat in a bag.

Marie is easily led alright, but she’s done ok from going with the flow when it suited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭oceanman

how could it "just happen that way" ? whoever murdered her would have been covered in blood.

It's probably Bailey asking for attention, and getting it.

He could easily have stated, never having left the bedroom, and nobody could have proven otherwise. Only because he changed his story, people started to doubt him.

Also, remember Ian had a paper to write and had a deadline, - that was confirmed, it was published by a newspaper. So between 2 am and say 8 am, Ian would have to have hiked one hour to Sophie's, cleaned the evidence up, hiked back for an hour, avoid being seen and quite possibly full of blood, cleaned himself up, written an article for a newspaper and that after more than a few drinks in the pub and pretend as if nothing happened. I would find this quite an accomplishment and most likely impossible. The only option would have been to write the article on that day before he went to the pub and then pretending that he wrote it at night... He would have saved time, and would have given him more than enough time to kill Sophie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Did Sheridan have some reason to suspect the individual in the photo other than that he physically resembles the individual Farrell claims she saw outside her premises? The murder bore none of the hallmarks of being the work of a trained killer stalking his prey and waiting for an opportune moment to strike. Shooting her in the head may not have been a suitable method for various reasons so why not strangulation? It's clean, no mess. She was slightly built and could easily have been subdued by a powerful male but it was a messy killing which suggests no element of pre-planning or organisation. A spur of the moment act by somebody completely enraged and out of control and who has never killed before.

So, basically;

Sheridan was only doing what the Gardai did 25 years ago.

He got her original description of the man she said she saw,-sallow skinned , average height etc, found a photo to fit the description of this man with DTDP and said "I'll look after you if the Gardai follow this up" and lo and behold he's got a nice filler for "Murder at the cottage part 2"

I cannot see this new investigation falling for this, they must have something else,

Have they gone back through her diaries and found something?

I doubt it will lead anywhere when the only witness is Marie Farrell.

Exactly, she's been well and truly discredited several times down the years.

The DPP would throw it back as soon as her name came up.

Your statement "who's never killed before" is interesting. For somebody who's never killed before he sure left no DNA at all. Also the brambles and briars or some of them were sent away for testing, and could most likely not have been tampered with by any local bent guard? So the killer must have known something about DNA and leaving tracks and traces. And looking at all the scratches and bruises Sophie had, the murder site was way "too clean".

On the rest I would agree with you. Strangulation would have been easier, cleaner, no blood, and also quieter. A man the size of Bailey could easily have strangled her with his bare hands, I'd suggest and the chances of leaving no traces and DNA, etc.. would have been higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

I said it before, everything is pinned on the DNA sample.

And that is one hell of a long shot.

It just adds another layer of mystery, smoke and mirrors to the murder.

We know the investigators have a DNA sample from somewhere... Why else would they be looking for another mans profile if they had nothing to compare it to?

If the person of interest has ever set foot on Sophie's property, by that I mean as an invited guest.. The Gards have nothing..

However, if the person has no connection to Sophie, and was only in her Husbands circle of associates, then that's a different matter. Especially if his DNA has been retrieved from the crime scene.

If the DNA matches the Frenchman, it gets interesting real quick.

If he was an invited guest, and that would in all probability be as a lover, why did he not come forward 25yrs ago to eliminate himself from the investigation? Did he flee the country that night, if so, how?

Considering that Sophie has entertained other men at her house, they too, must surly have left DNA somewhere? Or is it the location on the DNA that is critical - Concrete block etc..

It's either a game changer, or it's a dead end.

If the person of interest has ever set foot on Sophie's property, by that I mean as an invited guest.. The Gards have nothing..

It would depend on where the DNA was found.

If it could only have been deposited during or after the murder, ie; with or on top of Sophie's DNA, then they would have something.

• Advertisement

we don't know he would have been covered in blood. a cold night the killer could have had a long coat so the blood would be mostly on the coat. any on the hair or face could be washed off in shower. By "happen that way" i meant maybe he was lucky to wrap the coat in a way the blood was contained in a small area like a bag and easy to get rid of. he was a journalist in fleet street he knew abou forensics. he could have got up driven to Alfie in search of a party, found none and and seen her light on. she may have been up late to get ready for her flight

it may be Alfie he drove to and just happened to see her light on and being well drunk and possibly having had some joints he decided to call on her and was told get lost. her husband said she feared nothing so she would tell him get lost and he may have lost it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement