Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Strange past time, anyone who works closely with ngos or asylum seekers able to explain the cultural nuances here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

AKA the all too usual attempt to lump in and label anything that asks the questions society is not allowed ask as "hate speech". We removed the blasphemy laws because they were silly holdovers from a past that labelled dissent and questions about illogical faiths as wrong and punishable. We're adding this nonsense for pretty much the same reasons. When the religious are in charge, everything they don't agree with is heresy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I was horrified but not surprised to read that. All anyone needs to do is take a bus from Ennis to Limerick to see the sheer volume of asylum seekers/refugees of every nationality getting on at every single bus stop at every hotel from Ennis to Limerick to see why there's a problem. This is where we are now, the government need not worry about a shortage of hospitality workers because this time next year we probably won't have much of a hospitality industry left.

It's disgraceful that the government is destroying the tourism industry in this country and then there's people claiming that only Ukrainians are being put in hotels and that asylum seekers are being put in DP, what planet are these people on? Our hotels have become the new Direct Provision centres. Why would a tourist come to Clare when there's nowhere to stay? Why would any tourist fly into Shannon airport when there's nowhere to stay in any hotel in the Clare/Limerick region? This has to stop. The insanity of government saying they'll source more accommodation, **** that, it's time to shut the damned door and start deportations of anyone in DP with a failed claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Pardon my hate speech but this insanity needs to end now.

And it's not just the housing crisis, it's the healthcare crisis and this also will affect the education system. I'm ready to bet that Ireland will drop places in the PISA ratings, where currently it holds a very high position.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Have a drive through Saggart village and down to Citywest Shopping Centre this weekend and you will see exactly where we are at now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Have a drive through any town or village and it's the same story.

Even the most rural towns with no services and employment are being influxed by migrants.

God help our children and grandchildren trying to get accommodation for colleges. This government has forgotten about its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Is this Irelands version of Candace Owens? Is he wearing blue eye contacts? Pretty funny if so. He seems to wear blue eye contacts in videos.

It was a good move for Candace in America. She made money, got white people following and worshipping her instead of being racist to her (look up her early life) and got a white partner out of it also which I'm sure she really wanted. She made racist white people support her race mixing. They campaign against race mixing and being ethno nationalist but at the same time they support her race mixing and make her more famous by sharing her stuff. It's pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

I see the government are blaming the UK for the referee crisis we have here. God, we are not a grown up country at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

What the hell are you on about Candice Owens for on an Ireland thread?

Oh wait 64 posts backup account by the looks of it

Citywest which was made ready for the Ukraine refugees is full. But 70% are not from Ukraine but other international refugees. Something far wrong what is happening in this country.

• Advertisement

The Ukraine refugees are not the problem as can be clearly seen. The numbers that were expected still haven't arrived here. What has happened here is that it has shown up just how many refugees are entering this country and its slot more than we were led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

What figures they don't have have accurate figures for those actually deported as its self deportation .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

And it is almost guaranteed one of the questions put out at this Minister's meeting will be "How do we manage this without upsetting the NGOs or bringing allegations against us.

This should absolutely not be the case. Government shout be allowed in a hard nosed fashion to get to the root of the irregularities here and sort it out, without worrying about upsetting someone who is looking to angle an allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Problem fixed: hotels are full so they can't even come for the interview. No interview, no offer, no refusal, no problem. Genius.

Here's my solution to the bogus 'Ukrainians'. Give them a 2 minute Ukrainian language interview where they have to answer the most basic questions - what's your name, where did you live in Ukraine, what did you do for a living?

If they can't answer those questions - in Ukrainian - then they are obviously bogus and should be turfed out of the country in shame for taking up spaces that are set aside for UKRAINIAN refugees.

That would be to much of a logical task for our government to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Labour party is a lost cause. The social policy academics are running the party. Our political party situation in Ireland is depressing.

Maybe it's racist, I'm not sure but I am sure some NGO could advise.

If anyone wants to know how deluded and totally out of touch this government is with the mess migrants coming into the country are listen to Ann Rabbite being interviewed by sarah mcinerney on Rte.

Seriously it beggars belief how these people can be allowed to make decisions for the good of this country. The minister is totally deluded or has lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Just caught the tail end of an interview with one of those chancers from MASI basically pissing and moaning that not enough is being done for the brown and black asylum seekers compared to the Ukrainians. Also our housing minister saying over 3000 more places will be provided for Ukrainian arrivals with more measures to follow.

What the **** is going on? At what fecking point do they turn the taps off and say enough, we're full? This is insanity, we simply can't afford this BS. We can't provide for our own but the gates are open for the rest of the world. Seriously, they're talking about more 'refugees' arriving tonight from Poland and Georgia, how can we still keep accepting people who are safe in other countries?

I saw a Ukrainian woman on that Ukrainians in Ireland facebook page, who is safe in the Czech Republic and who has been given permission to stay, asking if she can cancel that and come to Ireland instead? She was being given advice on how to get around that. Someone else's teenage daughter is currently abroad working with horses and not as a result of the war, the mother is still in Ukraine with the other 2 daughters, but feels that her daughter shouldn't have to do that work and is asking for people to take her daughter in in Ireland. It's fricking madness.

• Advertisement

O Gorman on the six one rambling on and not giving solutions to the problems. It's clear in my mind that the government is not calling the shots in this country. Not one of the idiots will say we have reached full capacity and enough is enough. Quiet ironic that the news item before that is how the Irish citizens can go to Spain for medical procedures.

Something seriously not adding up here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Since the start of this thread what has genuinely surprised me the most has been the remarkable lack of any real evidence based defence of the multicultural politic itself and that for me is what's actually not adding up Malin. It's a politic based on a mostly genuine hope, an exoticism fetish and an emotional need for it to work, heavily backed by vested interests, rather than any evidence that it actually works nor that much thought having been put into it by the faithful. At its core multiculturalism fails in the lack of evidence for its merit and instead relies far more on avoidance of the demonstrable negatives, not least for those migrants who look and/or culturally act differently to the majority of the host nation. It also heavily relies on the rambling of talking heads like O'Gorman full of deflection, airy fairy what ifs and ultimately attack and censure.

If we look at other Accepted Truths in our society they are far more easily defended, and defensible. Indeed even the basics are self evident and very easy to get across. EG the equality of women, slavery being a very bad thing, rights of bodily autonomy etc. The pros in such arguments hold pretty much all of the cards, the antis would have their arses handed to them on a plate and at best would have to rely on edges cases, whataboutery and deflection. When those Accepted Truths weren't accepted in the past their defenders had to tie themselves in knots to justify them. Even a ginat of a mind like Aristotle in his defence of slavery as an institution was looking at his feet and mumbling to try and justify it and all he could come up with was it just is and some people seem to born to it and shure who would do all the work. That's all he had. Of course what he and other societies that saw it as the norm had was societal and cultural and economic reasons to keep the status quo.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

How would it be racist?

We already have different requirements when it comes to different nationalities for immigration purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think the housing minister owes Carol Nolan an apology. Also apparently it's the Brits fault as if they shouldn't control their own immigration policy. Clowns running the country is an understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It pains me to think the voters in my own constituency voted Rabbitte in for the second time in the last election.

That interview today was a train wreck.

It was unbelievable listening.

Totally reminiscent of the whole approach the government take when challenged about this issue.

With 200 people being taken from Dublin Airport to be placed in tents, and more than likely another 450 coming in over the weekend if reports on numbers are true it was a total I don't give a fcuk interview.

Her 6 weeks holiday starts shortly so she's probably thinking more on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think McInerney must have felt sorry for her in the end and held back a bit because I've seen her rip more capable Ministers to shreds in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I Don't think she could believe some of the replies she was getting to her questions.

No wonder the country is in such a mess.

• Advertisement

I want to see if I understand the anger of the right-wing complainers

• Ukranians get given homes = anger
    • Ukranians get put up in hotels around the country = anger
    • Ukranians get put up in rooms in homes around the country = anger
    • Ukranians get put in tents = anger
    • Ukranians don't get anything and sleep on the floor = anger

Am I understanding that right?

If all of the above causes anger, but we still want to help, then it raises leaves 2 options

Option 1 - Come up with something else that we are allowed to do to help these folks that will not cause anger or

Option 2 - Ignore the anger and help them.

Advertisement