Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We have all the players we need to play differently, but how can you fault the last 4 years, how could you justify changing

Nunez could play on the shoulder, with a 3 behind, but you'd have to lose a boring midfielder, but we tend to play 3 boring midfielders always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Members ballot results are out tomorrow afternoon, good luck to anyone who’s entered. Registered for all 9 games myself but I’m sure it’ll be another year of disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Got Burley last year from the ballot so I'm hopeful something will come through.

Nice one, have a feeling you’ve entered a different kind of ballot there but she’s not bad for a news presenter, to be fair.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist jumping on that typo. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Standard Chartered must have stumped up some money to renew there sponsorship.

Liverpool were looking for a world record shirt sponsorship deal.

Just seeing Joyce is reporting the deal is worth more than £50m a year.

I'm glad they didn't go down the crypto route that was being talked about a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The backroom staff have a new addition. Frigyes Vanden Auweele is the new head of osteopathy with a focus on the prevention of injuries and the optimisation of performance.

According to his business website he is contracted to Liverpool until June 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Looks like Jota has injured his hamstring again. He really needs a good pre season to build his confidence back and hit the ground running. I think he lost his MoJo when Diaz came in and was such a hit but Jota will be key to mixing things up in Klopp's plan to be less predictable this season.

Fingers crossed it's not something which will keep him out for long.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1547520119617748995

Post edited by 54and56 on

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Over the moon about this. Been following this lads progress since he was a whipper snapper in the Belgian 7th Division. We have pulled it out of the bag again lads 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Got 1 for the wolves game better than nothing

• Advertisement

Unsuccessful in all games, feckin knew it. If anyone gets one for a game they don’t fancy attending, I’ll gladly buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Unsuccessful in all games. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Got city is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

This is how the summer is feeling since we got all our business done early and waiting for the season to start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah missed out as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Unsuccessful for all games also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Decent half and a good goal from Hendo, Ox off with a strain by the looks of it

• Advertisement

Salah got the second in the 2 - 0 win now they head back to Liverpool and Austria for the proper pre season training and then two games against RB Germany & RB Austria next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hoping to get a better look of the lads next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Love the agenda already being stirred on the Sky Sports page in the match report - could've been written by Gary Neville - there are several mentions of the recent "drubbing" or "thrashing" by United and the negative of "another scoreless showing" from Nunez. Ignores the fact he's played a total of 75 mins across both games. Bring back the days of nobody caring about what happens in pre-season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Who pays attention to friendly game match reports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nunez does look the most off the pace alright though, not that it matters in pre-season, but I'd say he'll have more of a slow and steady Fabinho introduction than an instant Mo/Diaz/Jota one. Very much bought for the long term, so that's fine, there's zero need for him to be starting on day one anyway, we've plenty of talent up front.

Everyone else looking pretty sharp, particularly Mo, Keita, Elliott, Trent, and Carvalho I thought. Carvalho's one of those lads who just glides around the place effortlessly, will be a joy to watch over the coming years I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah Darwin is defo going to be a slow burner based on his first minutes but then again he's only training since Saturday. Love all the rivals writing him off as Andy Carroll already. That worked out well when Virg was dismissed when we signed him. We don't miss often in the transfer market and I expect nothing different with Nunez. Carvalho looks very good. I'm expecting him and Harvey to get plenty of minutes when the real business kicks off. Mo Diaz and Bobby up front when we start IMO unless Jota is fit by then which seems unlikely.

• Advertisement

The funny this is that with all our exceptional work in the transfer market under Edwards over the past few years, we could actually afford Nunez to be a dud and it still wouldn’t change my opinion of the recruitment team one iota.

But as others have pointed out, he’s literally only been training with the team for a handful of days, into a six-year deal. I’m not in the least bit concerned about him looking a bit off the pace at this stage. It’d actually be far more unusual if he wasn’t. That Torres lad looked quite poor in his first pre-season at the club, but I vaguely remember him not doing too badly in games that mattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Who honestly cares about pre season. It's purpose is for the first XI to get fit and the fringe/youth players to try impress the manager. Some of our worst players have been the most impressive in pre-seasons gone by. Nunez can take his time as my fan with a brain will give him plenty of patience.

Had the same thought with Torres alright - it was Voronin who looked the superstar signing that preseason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Yeah, preseason some players flatter to deceive, opposition are short a bit of fitness, sharpness, that's why I find it ironic that some people are getting so excited about a French player that they wrote off a couple of months ago.

Preseason is about three things, fitness, team bonding and money. The great thing about getting transfers done early is that the new players are there, getting to know their new team mates, getting integrated into the group. That’s what is about.

• Advertisement

Nunez feeling the pressure already, posting unnecessary social media responses to his performances. Why feel the need to respond, it's been 60 minutes so far, not 60 games. But I guess the people calling him a flop after 60 minutes are stupid... he has no need to respond to stupid people.

That’s a concern, if he is thin skinned he will find the scrutiny that comes with playing for Liverpool difficult to handle. I hope his advisors tell him not to respond to the online attacks, it will just encourage more.

Pre season is, and always has been completely meaningless in terms of results.

The name of the game is building up match fitness, and hopefully avoiding major injuries to key players.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Ive no idea how you can say it would be far more unusual if he didnt look off the pace. Nunez probably needs to be a hit for us this season to compete. Spurs and chelsea have strengthened significantly. I hope hes a hit. I wish he had 2 unreal seasons instead of the 1 coming in but giving his age obviously thats fair. Just think we are due a miss.

Looks like FSG are backing the womens team strongly this summer in the transfer market now that they are back in the WSL.

There's only two teams in this league proven capable of 90+ point seasons and its us and City. The rest can improve but they still have it all to prove when it comes to that bar. I'm encouraged by the amount of churn apparently in city's squad and pray they lose Silva too. Nunez for Mane is not optimal but the others trying to catch up, in a congested season, have it all to prove, we just need to keep things the same.

Chelsea where nowhere near us in the league last season, have they actually improved on that with their squad? Doubtful

United, not for me Jeff, huge step up for them to get near us.

For me it's city and Liverpool for 1st and 2nd again, everyone else battling for third and fourth.

Yeah i agree to be fair. I also think you cant account for 95 plus points so i see it as 50/50 whether they get more points even with Haaland. Last time we got mad points and came 2nd we won the next season , so lets hope for a repeat. I feel we need one more signing though did we not add at all the summer before we won? And jota in jan?

I don't think Haaland is a silver bullet for them. They were hardly lacking goals! Let's see how it goes but they have to change to accomodate him and they've lost a few other lads. The league may go to who gets the best start. Not having loads of squad churn can help.

The goals will come hopefully, time will tell a lot, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it takes him time to find his feet in this team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

City seem to be turning over a lot of players. Not sure if that’s good for them alright. The likes of Sterling’s goals will be missed by them

Great! The women's champions league is bloody brilliant these days - would love to see us improve enough to start qualifying for that over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It was a shame that the women's team was more or less forgotten about for a few years, getting relegated was probably the best thing to happen them as it kinda put pressure on the club to support them probably. Will be difficult to get back up competing with the top teams.

Yeah, Lyon had exactly the right idea years ago, realising that with a minuscule spend in comparison to the mens game, they could become top dogs while everyone else caught up. We're well behind those teams that began properly professionalising the women's game years ago, so hopefully they'll bite the bullet and bring in some top talent and a top coach to quicken the process.

Villa are ready to sell Chukwuemeka for £20m instead of losing him for a free next summer.

Could well be worth a punt at that price I doubt you'd lose money on him long term if it didn't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The Anfield Wrap said that they'd heard Nike asked why is your women's team crap and Standard Charter stated they wanted them backed aswell as part of the sponsorship. So that's why it's happening.

Lads talking about Spurs and Chelsea, 18 and 25 points behind us last year, they're not getting near us. I'm still skeptical on Tuchel, don't think he knows how he wants to set up his team. He's very conservative and that gets you no where near the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

20 million is enough for him,that's a big amount for a player who might never get a steady place in the senior squad, if we currently had him we would be delighted to get that fee for him, maybe 10 million.

Tuchel's a weird one... I know he never wanted Lukaku in the first place, but to not even try to get the best out of him seemed strange. Like, we all know that you have to play Lukaku in the position he had at Everton and Inter, and what he does with Belgium, and yet instead he did exactly what Man Utd did with him before which was just guaranteed to fail. I suppose he had a lot of his own personal stuff going on last year, so maybe was particularly spikey about being made to shoehorn in this piece he didn't ask for.

He can be attacking, his Dortmund side was quite interesting going forward, but it feels a bit like he's been reluctant to go the same way with Chelsea just yet. Maybe with a new set of CB's and a high-quality dribbler in Sterling, he'll let them off the leash a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The wheels came off for Chelsea last season when Chilwell and James got injured in November, it was in the same time frame that Lukaku had his whinge on Sky Italia. Tuchel's system was working up to that point, Lukaku wasn't scoring goals but Chelsea didn't need him to. Lukaku occupied defenders and linked up with the runs of Havertz and Mount. Chilwell and James provided the width to stretch defenses and Chelsea were scoring plenty of goals while conceding very few. Before November, they had conceded only two goals in the league (Liverpool 1-1, Man City 0-1) and steamrolled every other team. Then in a matter of weeks it all went wrong and they struggled against the fodder teams - draws with Burnley, Everton, Man Utd, late winners against Watford and Leeds. Alonso and Azpilicueta didn't offer the same dynamic as Chilwell and James and dropping Lukaku meant removing Havertz from the link up role.

Rudiger and Christensen are big losses for the defence but Sterling is a definite upgrade for their attacking options. Lukaku is gone and if Tuchel can get the players all pulling together in the same direction then I see no reason why they can't pose a threat again this season.

• Advertisement

Have to admit, during the period you are talking about, I genuinely thought Chelsea were going to win the league until they suffered a few injuries similar to what happened to Pool the year before. I think this coming year, they will be a better overall team than last year if Koulibaly plus one bed in quickly. But the gap to MC and probably Liverpool will be too much to bridge this season, MC are stronger, we have to see the impact of losing Mo, and I still think we need one more top class midfielder to have a chance of overtaking City.

Advertisement