Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Completely agree, talk of even a 100bps increase by the Fed now, doubt it'll happen but 75 a cert. I do believe once the heavies like Google and apple start missing earnings and growth which is inevitable, their high weight in the Nasdaq will cause a serious tanking of it which will just cause contaion throughout the tech sector which excluding the tech heavies have already shedded nearly 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Can’t agree on this.

Google just released a memo that they will be slowing hiring for a while, Tesla have laid off staff, Twitter and today I saw 2 more groups go through the same within tech. This trickles into other markets as people can’t get employment and that in turn effects other industries.

You may well have seen recessions in the last 25 years but tech isn’t just “tech”, it impacts finance, housing, social media, entertainment and haulage.

While some won’t feel it as bad, others will, and as a whole it will be profound.

I heard from a friend's cousins uncles doctors gardeners accountant that the global recession will start on Thursday week about half 2 ish. Maybe 3..

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Who didn't see that coming. The EU needs Russia. Eventually they will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Moldova's national gas operator has asked the state energy regulator to increase consumer prices by 60% so they can pay Gazprom.

Winter is going to be deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Anyone else signed up to LinkedFinance? Peer to peer loan site.

Have seen a rise in the number of loans being sought on it the last couple months. Could be a sign businesses are finding it tougher to get bank lending.

July - Already 12

June - 12

May - 15

April - 7

March - 11

February - 3

January - 0

December - 1

November - 1

October - 2

September - 6

August - 1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I'd say you were a hoot during the early days of Covid

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

If I were a gardener I'd defo be looking for cash in hand, no need for an accountant 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

Mario Draghi resigns as PM of Italy.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Certainly going to be a rough year or two coming up. A lot of these politicians will have a lot of answering to do.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

It seems NZ developers are kicking into gear to get projects finished early, who could blame them its an insanely bubbly market.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Apple planning to cope with a potential economic downturn...still time for a soft landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Can I just put my hand up and ask is it possible that this recession may not happen at all?

I'm just not feeling it like last time. All I'm hearing/reading is its coming very soon, its the big one etc etc but could it be a case of life as normal, people have things to do and a life to live so maybe won't be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

It’s a tricky one but It really isn't rocket science and the fact economists are having such a difficult time understanding this recession from others baffles my mind.

The simple answer is things are too expensive while wages don't keep up. It's been happening for 40 years now, and the fact they ignore that more and more people are:

a) not able to afford a home or rent,

b) can't afford the basics,

c) are incapable of putting money back into the economy since 90% of the 70+% of Americans go into rent/utilities/food

d) the things needed for people to start making more money have become so expensive that more people are strapped with debt and forced to put even more money needed to stop a recession from happening going to pay off student loans in the US for example

People aren't buying because people can't afford it and what's worse is that the people who can afford to spend are the same people hoarding the majority of wealth, to where they're not spending it, they're using that money to make more money so they can hoard more money.

If the cost of living continues to outpace the increases in wages/salaries, a recession is pretty much bound to happen. I know in Canada, the $8 minimum wage they had in the 1990s had more purchasing power than the $15 wage they have today... it's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Looking at most indexes world wide- it took them 5-6 years to achieve growth that they achieved in earlier 30 years.

Nasdaq took decades ( 1982 until mid 2017) to reach 5750. And in the last 6 years it got doubled to current level of 11500. So they can't bring it down to 6 or 9k. They need to make 11/11.5k a new normal? Increase salaries? Keep inflation at 8% a new normal. Because next time inflation will reach 16% due to corporate greed? There is no other way for wealth concentration. The money they have collected now will be used in acquisitions. Mergers. Buy backs. And to acquire wealth from common people e.g. buying land from farmers in the name of climate? Give money to farmers and make that money irrelevant with 16% inflation or to convert it to digital in order to retain further control?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

It's pretty much a given at this stage that there will be a recession.

Several contributing factors:

1. ECB and the Fed have been printing cash since the 2008 crash to boost economies.

2. During Covid they put the money printing in overdrive to keep economies afloat.

3. All this additional money in markets reduced the value of the currencies, I.e. value was diluted.

4. During Covid most people(who could save) hoarded cash as there wasn't a nowhere to spend it with lockdowns etc. Zmany invested in bitcoin and Gamestop nonsense.

5. After covid this additional unspent money was flooding the markets, pent up home improvements with WFH, ordering new cars etc. This also resulted in the recent parity of the Euro with the Dollar, the Euro being impacted further by the delay in the ECB increasing interest rates.

6. During covid global logistics were hugely impacted, resulting in shortages of chips etc. pushing the price of chips globally through the roof.

7. Global chip shortages caused companies to book more output from chip foundries like TSMC, this is now resulting in an oversupply of chips forcing chip prices down but also companies like Apple Nvidia, Amd to reduce their planned production from TSMC

8. The war in Ukraine is obviously forcing the huge increase in the price of oil, gas, and fertiliser.

9. Preasures in the cost of increased fuel/heating worldwide are forcing families to focus their spending on these increased costs for heating fuel thereby reducing their discretionary spending elsewhere(holidays, hotels, restaurants, hairdo's etc.)

10. The reduced spending in the economy due to people focusing on the bare essentials will cause initially a recession in the services industry and layoffs increasing unemployment.

11. The tech industries already see this, the largest of these Facebook/Meta Apple, Google are already predicting a huge downturn in revenue over the next 3-4 quarters and have stopped/hugely reduced hiring.

12. The normal apparatus for reducing inflation is to increase interest rates which in turn cools economies as borrowing becomes expensive which reduces consumption.

13. However, interest rate increases will reduce spending in the overall economy which would normally reduce the cost of things, reduce investment resulting in reduced hiring for employees.

14. The problem post covid us no longer down to availability of goods driving prices higher but the increased cost of fuel. Cost of fuel increases impacts the delivery of goods to stores, the cost of fertiliser etc. which is driving the cost of everything up, beef, poultry, vegetables and everything else that you buy.

15. Increased costs of everything is forcing employees to request higher wage/salary increases which will result in prices being pushed up further.

16. The war in Ukraine is driving the price of commodities such as flour grain, cooking oil up, increasing the cost of basic items such as pasta etc further.

All of the above forcing the price of basic essentials beyond the means of average people means it is completely unsustainable. As people pull back to focus on just being able to live will drive economies into recession, this will even reduce the price of oil due to worldwide economic contraction of production which will drag the cost of commodities down. The main outlier at the moment is the price of gas which with the war in Ukraine and Russia being the main supplier in Europe is forcing the cost of gas to remain stubbornly high.

So yes to summarise a recession is definitely on the horizon , its actually needed tp bring prices somewhat back to some levels of normality.

The cost of gas is the main worry, it can force higher inflation while economies are contracting, essentially resulting in runaway inflation and people becoming poorer and poorer.

France to buy the remaining 16% of EDf

Uniper on the edge as it is losing approx 50 million / day, so looks like a full bailout inevitable. Also currently drawing on it's storage to avoid paying the high daily rates.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Dublin and other airports never been busier, south of Europe is absolutely jammed with tourists

The look on a couple of posters faces if a small recession occurs but house prices only keep going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I cant see house prices dropping too much if at all after the new government buying incentive. Interest rates will have to hit a lot higher(3/4%) in order for the price of servicing a mortgage is less attractive than renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

2 years of restrictions on travel and now that those restrictions are lifted, all this pent up demand is getting out. Who could have predicted it.

The idea that this is proof of no possible recession is a joke - the upcoming energy crisis this winter could cripple the entire Euro economy. German minister of economy has said they simply cannot survive the coming winter unless gas supplies are increased. So either a removal of some anti-russian sanctions in exchange for more energy supplies, or massive contraction of most Eurozone economies. Gas prices from the few sources still supplying (Algeria, Norway, UK etc) will spike massively. LNG even moreso. Plenty of SMEs simply wont be able to afford the increases in energy and gas prices, their only hope for survival is massive increase in their own prices, which in turns causes more inflation and we risk a spiral. Otherwise they simply go bust.

When do you predict this so I can set a reminder?

Ireland inflation up to 9.6% from 8.3%

- Camille Paglia

Good post.

We will also likely have electricity blackouts over the winter as a result of gas shortages. That includes Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Just on that has anyone else experienced a higher than expected elecy blackouts , we have had 4 in the last 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They'd sooner burn oil and coal than suffer blackouts, I think that is a step too far.

Sky high prices yes, but not blackouts.

Sooner than the Russian army collapse predicted anyways.

A recession is defined as 2 quarters of negative growth, so Q1 next year I'd imagine we'll see it recorded, as winter gas shortages cause prices to spike and industry starts to decline as a result.

This is a recession in Ireland you are predicting q4 this year and q1 next year, correct?

• Advertisement

Gas accounts for half of our electricity generation. We can't just switch back to turf/coal before the winter. Come back in 2023 and tell me I was wrong but I am 100% convinced we will see widespread controlled blackouts throughout the winter months.

Advertisement