Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

I guess they’re thinking that hotels will then empty with tourists so there’ll be more hotel capacity, pushing the problem out to next summer (and costing a fortune)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It took a while but Tent Cities will become the new norm . Hotels currently not being used must be getting anxious, I presume they'd thought they'd clean up at the end of the tourist season.

What have the good people of Meath done to deserve all this Attention, First Laytown, planning for near 600 temporary homes lodged, Bettystown becoming a Black Sea resort town and now Gormanstown getting its own Tent City , what could possibly go wrong 🤔

At this rate when new constituency boundaries drawn up they'll need 10 TD'S to represent the constituency.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

How nice of them to offer to pay.

Nevermind trying to skip the queue. Their favourite word "free" makes an appearance also

Probably been suggested - I'm not reading 207 pages - but at this point the only sensible (to my mind) approach would be to accept new refugees only from contested regions and a reasonable perimeter around them. Anyone still leaving at this point should have no problem proving in which part of the country they lived.

I heard that this morning, in fairness that scheme has been in place for years but few knew about it , but it seems astonishing its going to cost €2 million a year a drop in the ocean in terms of the HSE budget , beggars belief a patient, subject to guidelines can have an operation in a few weeks in Spain or wait years here on the public system.

Costs apart from flights and accommodation are refunded by HSE subject to patients getting a referral through Consultant, GP and on waiting list.

• Advertisement

Sara McInerney on Drivetime was interviewing Anne Rabbite TD. Sara was more or less saying in a roundabout way "should we not just admit we are full now and have failed in our ability to take uncapped amounts of refugees" . Anne Rabbitte replied "No....we are working on lots of applications for hosting , people really want to host (maybe the ones that were pledged months ago) and we're confident there will be a big yield of new homes from that. She also said they "just need time to bring this to fruition" those were her exact words! What a complete load of stupid claptrap! Bring what to fruition?.... I was shouting at the radio.

They are either lying or delusional. Why not just admit they got it wrong? Why are they now falling over themselves scrambling to find anything, anywhere rather than just say "we need to pause this for 3 months" like Scotland have done! What on earth is wrong with this Government? Do they think we are stupid? There is not one person I know between family, work, acquaintances, customers who come into my work that agree with taking more in. Not one. Nobody in Government seems capable of reading the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭DaithiMa

Roderic O'Gorman refusing to say we are at capacity on the news. Talking about commandeering more student accommodation. He is an absolute idiot.

'We expected surges' he says. Of course you did, what did he think promising own door accommodation within 3 months to AS and full social welfare benefits to Ukrainians would result in. The surge is only starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

there's been an executive helicopter flying all over north county dublin the last couple of months...usually the radar is not being tracked on flightradar24 but the odd time it was switched on, i got the reg and discovered it's associated with US vulture funds. my theory is that they've been scouting for locations. today 2 of them actually flew by, trailing each other. i reckon any farmland near the M1 is ripe for the picking. cementing over more of the most fertile land in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

It will be like oxegen festival after a weekend of hard rain. The people be similar too, loads of drunk gopniks going mental and carrying knives.

oh yeah and Anne Rabbitte finished by saying refugees needed a roof over their head, peace in order to recover from their ordeal, help and support from all agencies which will hopefully lead to them getting forever home in Ireland. I was driving and wish I could play this back to get the exact quote but if anyone wants to its there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

The government are off on holidays now, they will have to do emergency dail to deal with this. We can’t have tents and scenes like Calais.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Their forever home. Can you offer a refugee a forever home!! Ffs it sounds like the adds for rescue dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Student accommodation which is being used ‘temporarily’ by Ukrainian refugees will now I fear not be vacant by September. No room for our students who have worked very hard to get to college will now be told to find accommodation elsewhere. It beggars belief!

I'm glad I missed that interview, I may have sent in an inappropriate Tweet .

There's to my mum mind ou Two high profile presenters who've asked that difficult question , Sarah and Katie Hannon, the rest at RTE , virtue signalling cheerleaders who wouldn't know what hardship is or the cost of living crisis for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No party offers anything for middle Ireland though. I'd definitely rather give them a chance than FG and FF again. Better the devil I don't know this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Citizen2011

Brilliant summary. Spot on.

Im looking forward to this as it will happen. It might wake enough up when their kids can't get student accommodation and actually cause a change. Get those who are comfortable in their 40s and 50s to feel some pain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Nobody is waking up anywhere as long as the majority continue to watch and listen to RTE. If you want politicians to really get a fright, turn the media off.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

These politicians only concerned and focused on one thing, their 2 month Holiday, there in complete denial, delusionary and completely out of touch with reality.

• Advertisement

It might. As it is, housing disaster, cost of living crisis and this refugee situation hurts people in their 20s and 30s more than older people and the government don't give a crap about the younger crowds. Once this starts hurting the comfortable 40s and 50s cos their kids can't get accommodation in college, maybe we might get a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭MysticMe

There are some suggestions to cap the admissions number, however they all get rejected. The easiest workaround for this situation is to reduce the €901 payment to the average European, which is around €300 and watch the numbers fall. The current number of arrivals for the past two months was about 7000 a month.

"Carol Nolan, an independent MP in Ireland's parliament, said the arrivals were putting pressure on housing availability. 

"I am conscious this is a difficult and sensitive issue and we must tread carefully if we are to avoid blame being targeted at those who least deserve it," she said. "However, I am convinced that if we do not learn to find some way of exploring in a grown-up, pragmatic and constructive way the links between unsustainable levels of inward migration or asylum into this state and housing, then we will never find a meaningful solution to an already overwhelming crisis."

"We will not introduce any caps in that regard", responded housing minister Darragh O'Brien. 

"We have the most significant housing plan in the history of the state involving €4 billion a year in exchequer investment. 

"It will deliver 300,000 homes between now and 2030."

Ireland's Taoiseach, or prime minister, Micheál Martin, has also rejected any calls for the number of migrants to be capped, and he spoke of a warm welcome for those fleeing conflict."

https://www.euronews.com/2022/07/06/dublin-rejects-capping-refugee-arrivals-amid-housing-crisis-claims

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i have 4 tvs in my house. not one has been turned on in about 8 months. i've probably forgotten how to work the remote controls at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Citizen2011

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Can't honestly see it. The people in their 40's and 50's are the most stupefied of them all. The vast majority of them will now blindly do anything the state sanctioned media outlets showcase to them, been that way since the start of covid19. They won't do jack $hit. If kids can't get accommodation come September, The first Late Late show of that month will have a 'Ukrainian Refugee Special" to showcase "what a great job we are all doing" and everybody will watch it and lap it up into their overtaken craniums

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I wonder how those tents would hold up with a Gale. Monday could hit 30c at that camp, Tuesday hot too then possibly a thundery breakdown with large downpours. Could be an absolute shite show if there’s a bad thunderstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

As I predicted volunteers arriving to the airport to fill the gap left by the Red Cross and authorities . People turned up with bottles of water , baby feed and juice for toddlers

Great to see good, caring people actually doing something. Unlike others who just moan and gripe on social media.

• Advertisement

To be fair calling out the government for being stupid bastards isn’t moaning. It’s just stating facts. Now Ukrainians are sleeping on the floor at Dublin airport, a blind man could have seen this coming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement