Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Difficult to imagine how they won't form the next govt as things stand...then they can deal with the fact that relentless objections to the building of any housing will continue and people will just pivot from "its not affordable" to some other spurious objection.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This easy part is getting to brag about being the biggest party. Like our previous two governments there are no obvious paths to a government for them and it could take quite a while. I would have absolutely no confidence in a left-wing government lasting any more than 12 months and it could be a Dail of multiple governments. Bear in mind too we still don't know how many TDs there will be, likely to go from the current total to somewhere between 170-180 and the effect that may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There are those here who want this to keep happening.

Weren’t there long arguments here about winning and losing elections?

Oh me neither. The reluctance to work with them will be difficult to overcome but I struggle to see an alternative government forming if things stay as they are. Wouldn't rule out multiple elections. One way or another I think it would be unhealthy for a party with that much support not to end up in government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Its not comparable. Giving someone food because they've no other means is not depriving any shop of a sale. The same goes for giving shelter to someone with none or any access to it. If a shop keeper start charging ridiculous unaffordable prices people will go elsewhere. Nothing is rigged like housing, except maybe insurance.

The government effect on housing is going as they'd like, otherwise they'd do something different I'd imagine, but they don't despite it getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One way or another I think it would be unhealthy for a party with that much support not to end up in government.

Sure but in that scenario it will be incumbent on them to able to walk the walk and to persuade people to work with them. Nobody will talk to us is really not a good negotiating position and compromise is going to be part of any deal. That said they are incompatible on policies with both FG and the Greens and only the Albhabetti will swallow their tax proposals. So it would be a tough road, fraught with difficulties, not least of which is the risk of disappointing their army of new supporters.

Will be interesting what festers now over recess. A bruising MONC for all 3 coalition partners and a terrible poll this AM

Going to be a lot to ponder for more than backbenchers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Lovely report just on Sky news, Tent City in Gormanstown, Debacle at Dublin Airport (not the flights or baggage ones) , state has run out of emergency accommodation etc

Government Spin Machine won't like this one bit after months of a Virtue Signalling Campaign .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

They'd swear Black was white

Blaming the NEW UK asylum policy that's barely got of the ground, utterly preposterous.

This mess was predicted months ago .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

Some one needs to wake up Eamonn Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Quelle surprise. It's never the governments fault, luckily they have someone/something else to blame.

The government being mocked for its silliness and rightly so 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If they're being criticised by those outside of Ireland in that fashion they may pay attention.

Possibly, they don't take any notice of criticism in Ireland 😏, image abroad 8s all that relevant, re future personal ambitions , so to speak .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

We are certainly living up to our thick paddy name thanks to the ridiculous naivety of our government trying to please the EU .

MM has single handidly Promoted the conservatives Asylum policy, could he be Sir Michael in the new years honours list.

His comments and blame game getting some reaction in the UK , even mention of the Potatoe Famine.

Well done MM we look like completre Gobshytes thanks to your ridiculous comments. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I'm curious if those how pronounce at every possible opportunity that the government only cares about how they look in the EU so that they can pick up plush jobs afterwards could list a) all those in government who have moved to these jobs and b) how many of those were appointed by the EU as opposed to nominated by the Irish government?

Couldn't believe that was Pat Carey FF popping up in that report about the Ukrainians, now with the Irish Red Cross.

Remember Pat? Had a colourful end to his career in politics had Pat. The bad old days of FF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

In case anyone on this thread is interested excellent scheme announced today by government and can hopefully help to regenerate towns across ireladn

more information here:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c2183-croi-conaithe-towns-fund/#

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

"Such as?"

Do you mean where could they build? Well for a start, the developers could use the land that they are hoarding. After that, there are plenty of places to choose from. I'm not being smart saying that, they know before they applym= which ones are goung to receive objections, and why.

"The objections are not without merit if your goal is to maintain the value of your home and limit those who can live in your area."

That's true, but not always the reason. There are many many other legit reasons for objecting, scenery, traffic, wildlife to name a few. It's not always about somebody trying to maintain their house price value.

"And every last politician panders to this nonsense because there is no reason for them to care about non-constituents looking for a home over homeowners who already live there."

I am not sure I would agree with that. I have seen the housing ministers constituency more than treble the developments for anybody (including non-constituents) that wants one. Taking into account that much of his constituency is considered 'the bread basket of Ireland' and a lot of livelihoods out there, Swords is creeping out further and further for example. I'm pretty sure his own hometown is also being developed all over, despite objections from the locals on many of them, whose homes would definitely lower in value once many of them are built. But that area is an odd one anyway, They just seem to vote FF FG no matter who it is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

lots of movement today. Are we still blaming the opposition for this farce or has the script changed now. I did see mention of the UK being at fault. Tents for all. Gonna be lovely in winter think of Glastonbury 10x the mud. Sky news even picking up the story. 🤔

As expected brought to you by the minister that does not do housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So no one has won a GE election in Ireland since 1977 and while it looks like overall majorities are now a thing of history, no party in the future will ever 'win' a GE?

I can only think MM looking for a Knighthood from Boris before he goes after essentially validating his Asylum seeker policy.. It was an extraordinary statement to make, given this car crash was predicted months ago and obviously has literally nothing to do with anything other than ineptitude and incompetence.

MM has essentially promoted that ghastly Rwanda policy, the right wing are having a field day.

Arrise Sir Michael.

Serious own Goal

It's Gas to be fair they scream about the rise of the right wing. Yet their the ones making the Right wing viable. Screw over Your own people long enough that's their only option. It's sad as it's totally expected what will happen. 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 15,193 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Did you post the wrong link?

You:

"MM has essentially promoted that ghastly Rwanda policy, the right wing are having a field day."

Tweet:

"Irish prime minister calls UK's Rwanda scheme for asylum seekers 'shocking' and 'wrong'"

I know MM was scrambling late last night when news was breaking and Irish media, including government press office (RTE) Were running stories this morning. He went head first into blaming everyonr but him and his government, it was shocking and he was that Niaeve he played on the ongoing friction on Brexit and NI thinking people would accept his absurd nonsense, very embarrassing and actually disgraceful cheap shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

MM is a disgrace

Advertisement