Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think I'll get the physical copy of Klonoa on Switch, a fantastic pair of games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

This weekend is a scorcher and Monday going to be very hot too.

Well I've hay cut so I'm banking on it, might try some retro Brighting myself. Have a few SNES and nes that are yellowed. Would PS1 cases work too? I have a few that aren't exactly the same grey anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've a very yellowed and nasty looking PS1 case lined up for this weekend(although the bottom section seems ok). It should work, will take pics if i get around to doing the retrobrighting.

Edit:

Like I said, nasty. It was very yellowed when i got and the years sitting at the bottom of a press have not improved it any. It's worth saving and cleaning as its an SCPH-1002 model, so has the parallel, serial, RCA as well as AV multi out.

Post edited by Steve X2 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Interesting fan translation incoming. People might remember this one from a beers night. Interesting game and will be good to fully understand it:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sweet, I love fan translations, they almost feel like new (old) releases. PGXP has ruined me though, the texture wobble in that teaser video is horrendous! Has the Mister PS1 core touched on PGXP at all?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always play with the texture wobble enabled. Looks like **** but feels like I'm playing a PC port without it.

That's just because you're used to it I'd say. I think PXGP is a shining example of a rare modernism that completely surpasses the original hardware. It's a result of the lack of an FPU right?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Honestly I've never really noticed that texture wobble while playing ps1 games as a 'thing'.

I've a feeling now that you've pointed it out I won't be able to unsee it!

Some games seem worse than others, the one retr0 linked to above is particularly bad though. Now that I'm tuned into it, it just distracts me...like I say, PGXP ruined me 😔

Yeah it used integers, although it's not that simple but it just wasn't floating points so vertices would snap to the nearest integer in the grid.

It kind of needed to be that way for the PS1 to be so good. The system was a series of compromises to maximise performance so while on paper it looks significantly worse than the saturn it ended up performing much better.

I do admit it looks bad but its kind of part of the PS1 experience for me.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Took down all my PS2 games from the attic this evening, went through them one by one and found the motherload of memory cards!

That black PS2 card has absolutely everything I was looking for on it. Just firing up my original Vice City save that must be nearly 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I love going through the dates of old game saves to see how far back things were. Same with achievements on 360. Probably not a good thing to see myself saving games at 4-5am as a teenager :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'm playing a lot of Gamecube again getting the same nostalgia seeing saves from 2003 and going back to finish the games almost 20 years later.

Is there a thumbstick mod for the Dreamcast controller or any decent third party controllers? The only thing I don't like about the controller is the thumbstick is somewhat twisty. The Retrostriker DC controller is around double the price of something like the RetroBit Saturn controllers so hard to pull the trigger on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems the Mega Drive Mini 2 is being released in the US as well. Oddly being shipped from Amazon Japan though.

The listing shows 2 games that haven't been announced yet, Sonic 3D and Super Hang On.

Website now live with some new game announcements. Amazon exclusive in the US via Global store from Amazon Japan.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

50 games and Sega CD games.

Ill probably have to get one for the sake of it.

Only issue I see is if it's Japanese language games. Theres a lot of Sega CD games in that lost that are rpgs or adventure games that will be totally unplayable in Japanese

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Shouldn't be an issue, the US version has a different line up of games than the Japanese, Nadia of Blue Water isn't listed for example.

Might be difficult to get here, Amazon Japan only have the Japanese version and have removed the ability to export. And as the US version is being drop shipped from Amazon Japan it can only be delivered in the US. Expect the EU version to be the same which will make it only available in the 5 countries with regional Amazon websites.

Thanks, does look like they replaced the unplayable stuff.

Bit of barrel scraping in the games list offset with some incredibly rare and esoteric games. Lots of early megadrive games that aren't that great and some of the blander Sega institute stuff though.

It's a pity some japanese games on the list didnt make it over. Popful mail would have been awesome but I guess the issue there is the working designs licenses.

It's kind of the lesser explored side of the megadrive library which will appeal to enthusiasts which Sega did say they were going for.

Btw how the **** did the thunderforce 4 title change to the misspelled 'Lightening Force' get through QA?

It sounds like the name of a skip rental service.

• Advertisement

Or a new weight watchers app

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nom nom

It's kind of moot though what these Mini consoles come with in terms of games no? Very quickly you can add any games missing from the regional variants, artwork and all. The thoughts of filling them up with hundreds of roms isn't obviously appealing, but adding in say the missing Japanese games etc is a worthy enough effort.

Master of the Universe

I've only ever had the mini Snes myself and sold it before I'd even opened up the box.

I get these as a product for nostalgic casuals but don't understand the need for them really if you've a load of consoles hooked up.. beyond hoarding/collecting things for the sake of it (and sure, we all know a bit about that!)

It's more that it's interesting to see what they can get the license for or what they give a crap about. Means there's a chance something gets done with the IP or a rerelease. Was hoping to hear about Popful Mail which would mean someone is looking after the working design licenses and cares about them.

I'm kinda the same, though I do like to have the minis for consoles that mean something to me. Don't think I have ever, or will ever, actually use them for playing on though. You'd easily end up buying any and all crap just to hoard, so I try to stick to stuff that matters to me. Think at this stage all I have in terms of minis are, c64, nes, snes, megadrive, Amiga and ps1...

I toyed with the idea of the pc engine mini, but it's not something I ever had or wanted growing up so had to draw the line there.

The PC Engine was probably the best one. So much good stuff on there and some real rarities as well.

Saying that, mine is still in a box!

My PlayStation Classic and Mega Drive Mini are in the living room, handy for when my nephews are over or if I just want to play on the big screen and sound system but admittedly rarely used. I almost got the PC Engine Mini, which I regret not getting, because it's a system I'd like to try and I probably won't go down that rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,160 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

TBH.....I think they all live on the shelf, boxed up after a few try outs, which is fine I suppose. Eyes wide open when buying them and all that. They never take the place of the real thing, but are nice and kind of quaint to look at when the effort has been put in.

That said, I'm not sure I've even ever tried out the Mega Drive mini before that took up residence on the shelf.....can't recall. Certainly the PS1 one was boxed up sharp and proper. Order is there for a Mini 2 from Japan, even though I'm no fan of the system compared to the first. Might turn it into a Xmas present for someone. Biggest problem that US release has is that name.......it'll be a cold day in hell before I let a 'Genesis' into this house !

I think the PC Engine or C64 Maxi have had the most use, but again, they look better where they are as opposed to strung out taking up desk space.

• Advertisement

Sony should really be ashamed of the absolute cod that was the PS1 mini.

Advertisement