Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wetterzentrale not showing any of the the 18z yet... Everyone using Ctrl+F5 must have killed it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Funny with all the hype yesterday by the media, its all gone a bit flat today. I guess it's wait and see now what happens. You can't help feel its a short enough blast, basically 48 hours and back to average!

Anyway 18z gfs rolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

Those forecasts are computer generated. They are taking high level cloud into account. I’d imagine that forecasted cloud would be very thin over a lot of Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON-EU gone up a bit again

This GFS 18z run for Sunday (6pm) - a tad cooler (1c) over the very southeast and over the east of NI. Dublin warmer by 1c.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

GFS 18Z for Sunday

This was the GFS 12Z for Mon will see what the 18Z comes out with.

Mon just out and this time not as high as the 12Z by just a couple of degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It does look like some local temperature records in the GDA may fall on Monday at this point.

This GFS 18z run for Monday (6pm) - Previous 33c on 12z is now 32c. Most other areas down 1c, northwestern areas down 2c, again when compared to 12z.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The insane number of isotherms along atlantic coastal fringes bringing temperatures down to a paultry 19 or 20 degrees.

As always in Ireland somewhere, someone has to miss out.

Atrociously piss poor disapointing temperatures on what could be a historic blistering record breaking day countrywide.

the usual pig dross so.

gas.

This GFS 18z run for Tuesday (6pm) - Eastern half of Ireland up 2c to 3c generally, western areas much as was on 12z run. Looking out into the Atlantic and the cooler air looks further west.

• Advertisement

Thunderstorm potential both days!

25c 850hPa isotherm just clipping Wexford... one for posterity.

GFS going for a very warm Tuesday and delaying the precipitation or largely missing Ireland , a bit at odds here with the other models who are showing a thundery breakdown, the chart from UKMO below is interesting, again I would only see this as a guide to the potential as very heavy rain and thunderstorm potential, impossible to know locations at this stage or the timing but pointing towards a lively breakdown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Eireann have updated temperatures again and just when I thought it couldn't go higher than 31C for Monday they are now showing 32C for Monday. 28C for Saturday and 29C for Tuesday. Imagine if the Met Eireann places a 33C in the forcast either tomorrow or Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I believe Kilkenny due to the topography has a good chance of being among the highest temperatures.

There will be rainfall warnings if the breakdown rainfall predictions remain the same, potential for orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

Ye are all concentrating on Mon..cam any of ye tell me what the rest of week be like temptation wise .thank you .Wed Thursday Friday

We have a 34C!

ARPEGE back up on the 12Z for Sun too touching 30C . Closer to events it often picks out warmer temperatures than the ECM charts IMO but not too sure about Mon, might be overbaking it a bit this far out, excuse the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Bloody hell lads, 34 in Ireland 😂 the weather is definitely getting more interesting the last decade.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Our summers are starting to become more regularly much more successful than our winters. We've had some really decent autumns and springs recently too.

UKV 15z has dialed back temperatures by 1 to 2 degrees in many places, max now 33C instead of 34C.

• Advertisement

Fax Charts for next Mon and Tues from the Met office show frontal activity Tues moving in from the W and possibly pivoting over Ireland leading to heavy rainfall into Weds. This happening as the area of LP advances over Ireland ( ECM would show this also ). UKMO showing it to get quite windy also along the coasts and breezy to blustery overland , ECM showing it a bit windy on the coasts at this stage. UKMO showing the area of LP to deepen a bit as it transits Ireland with isobars tightening , ECM also but less so. The plot thickens.

The jet could be a big influence next Tues/ Weds , looks to play a part in the area of LP , gives plenty of shear and vorticity, looking forward to seeing Convective Weather and ESTOFEX forecasts.

In my amateur opinion I must add .

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Thanks to all for the excellent charts.

i might travel a few miles inland to see what’s happening. Not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I suspect you won't be the only person disappointed. This is increasingly looking like a 'middle third of the country affair'. I'm detecting a slight row back from MT in his forecast this morning. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if temperatures struggle to reach 30, even in more favoured spots. Watch out for the subtle revisions in forecasts today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Is it my imagination or has the low off Portugal retrograded a bit westwards compared to what was forecast? I thought it would be more of a north-northeasterly movement up over Biscay. Note the cloud debris on its northern flank. Fly in the ointment for the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Subtle changes last 12 hours

- The heat clears very quickly on Tuesday, meaning a hot but very short spell

- the trough to our Northwest more pronounced meaning the very warm uppers struggle to make it Northwest before clearing

- thundery breakdown looks limited to South/Southeast

All in all very interesting couple of days but perhaps a tad adjusted overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Andddd... im done with it now

,was looking great there a few days ago...this really is a **** show of a summer.

i swear the oceans could be boiling over and this **** of a country would manage to **** it up.

Post edited by squarecircles on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭pad199207

The upgrades had to stop at some stage and some runs have done that overnight. But still showing very warm Sunday to Tuesday and hot Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

To those talking of the huge drop off in temps nearer the coasts on these charts, in my experience the charts always hugely overdo these things. Ireland is a small island where nowhere is that far from the coast. There will be nowhere like the amount of isotherms shown, certainly in the southern half of the country. You see the same in reverse in winter where they add about 5c+ to coastal areas in cold weather. Never works out like that.

Advertisement