Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Just a few corrections there.....

Won Munster in 2019 having qualifed with a game to spare.

Only lost once in Munster in 2018 having being guaranteed a 1/4 final spot before the clare game. (Blessing in disguise probably getting skinned that day)

You cannot just talk about what ifs against Limerick.... 1/4 final in 2018 we should have been out of sight except for Murphy in goals.

Harnedy didnt "miss", Canning didnt "miss" also Peter Casey fouled in lead up to galway first goal that started the comeback. Should have been a tap over free.

Every team that wins an all ireland needs a large dollop of luck especially when you have to play 7 games.

Very glad to have won 3 of the last four. Deservedly beaten in 2019 no doubt about it. We got our ar*ses handed to us in the first half. The stuff about the sideline in the end doesn't matter to me as a Limerick fan.

When Tipp beat us in the final round robin game in 2019 there were 2 Tipp lads walking out of the ground discussing how Limerick won a handy All Ireland in 2018. Id like to think KK fans wouldn't be that disingenuous.

It is as you say swings and roundabouts and hopefully on Sunday it will be Limericks turn for the victory. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭blackcard

If stamina is an issue on Sunday due to the forecasted hot weather, what Kilkenny players would be most affected? Padraig Walsh, TJ and Richie Reid from the expected starters because of their age? John Donnelly, Richie Hogan and Walter Walsh from the subs? You would think that TJ would be required for the full 70 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Look, I agree with the sentiments of your post but I'm sorry, to claim you are "making corrections" to what I posted means I posted incorrect facts. I didn’t.

I said Limerick lost 3 times in the championship in 2019 and twice in 2018. That is 100% correct so cannot be "corrected" by you.

What you have done is provide some perspective, that Limerick had their 3rd place qualification secured both years before their last round losses, but that doesn’t "correct" what I said. And let’s face it no one wants to lose and miss the direct route, which happened to Limerick in 2018 and could have happened in 2019 if Cork hadn’t surprisingly been done by Clare the same day. So, essentially inferring both these losses shouldn’t really be considered “losses” is a bit “meh”.

Just as Kilkenny people excusing the awful loss versus Wexford in May with a "ah look we knew we were probbaly through anyway" are also codding themelves. It's a loss, end of story.

Hope Sunday is great occasion and a great match, I genuinely don’t know what way it will go, we could be hockeyed or we could win, but no question, Limerick remain comfortably the safer bet, they just have far less questions about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Correction.......we only lost once in 2018😂 unless age is getting the better of me.

Beat Tipp, drew with cork, beat waterford, lost to clare, beat carlow, beat kilkenny, beat cork, beat galway???

Listen enjoy Sunday. But not too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

You said its 100% correct Limerick lost twice in 2018.... well it isn't.

In Munster they beat Tipp, drew with Cork, beat Waterford and lost to Clare.

In AI Series they beat Carlow, Kilkenny, Cork after ET and then Galway.

Maybe a bit of humility mightn't go amiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭lim4ev

just to correct you we weren't beaten twice in munster In 2018 one draw v cork and a loss v clare when we were practically guaranteed we were through.

I agree re your points v kilkenny in 19

Correct, you won two matches in Munster in 2018 and 2019 but only lost one match in 2018 as you drew with Cork.

Just trying to make the point that losing 4 matches and drawing two more over a two year period cant leave you in position of saying (as some are, not you) that Limerick should have won both years.

One AI from that sort of strike right record is about right for me. Whatever luck they got in 2018 in winning got evened out in 2019.

2020/2021 a whole diffrent ball game, walked away with it, no one got close.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭lim4ev

sorry I obviously posted my response without reading the other responses

Not enough chat on weather, it's going to be very punishing and greatly increases chance that one team may run away with match.

It doesn't matter how much training you have done, you wont have experience of playing a major championship match in over 80 degree heat. All the strength and conditioning work in the world wont prepare you for that, in fact might it militate? Might the really bulky players struggle?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I definitely think it will be a factor..it may just be that some lads can't handle heat..forgive me for mentioning foreign sports but I'm picturing Steve Staunton at the world Cup 94..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,192 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Funny to bring up 2019 and then saying a Cody team won't take a batin in a final.

The idea a Cody team is insulated from a "batin" is false. Either team could get hammered on Sunday, especially with likely extreme heat forecast.

What is highly unlikely is that any Cody team would throw in the towel. As a frequent critic of him in recent years, one thing even I cant take from Cody is that I can never recall a day when a team of his jacked it in.

There is a big difference between a "batin" and jacking it in

Kilkenny took a "batin" in 2019 final after sending off but never jacked it in

Waterford twice this year alone, just jacked it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Not really, we were buggered once Hogan got sent off and we were down to 14 men but sure ya knew that. They kept trying though and never gave up so I'll rephrase it for ya. No Cody team will give up trying like Cork did last year once things go south. They will keep trying to the end and give it their all.

See that's all down to you deciding which batings are due to giving up and which are not which is mostly just opinion.

I don't think it's gonna happen Sunday but it's unfair to be pointing at Cork when yet last final was yere biggest ever final batin.

They should bring back the water break. It hasn't been the same for Limerick since 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

If memory serves me right the Muster Final last year was 24/25 degrees and Limerick faired fine in that. Slow from the blocks but stayed the course. That game was actually this weekend last year.

It certainly will have a bearing on the game, different lads will react differently, but no team will be immune from it either. The bench will be massively important

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Water break yes..but no white boards and kinnerk has to look away and not speak😁

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Looking forward to the game Sunday but it is really hard to call. Clare waterford and galway have all been close to limerick this year but they played out of their skin and still lost, limerick also tend to hurl well in finals but two of their AI wins weren’t in front of a full house which prob means nothing really😂. We were good against galway and great against Clare but they were both poor and missed easy chances and frees which limerick won’t do. The best thing for me about the Clare game was the fact that there is still a huge room for improvement. Our backs have been going well but it’s hard to see gillane and Flanagan not winning ball in there. Physicality wise I say lawor on Flanagan but I think he’ll take gillane who is having a top class year and is a deadly player. Limerick backs will mark whoever is their area so where we position our forwards Will be very interesting. Cody mullen and TJ are our main ones but we’ll need everybody to chip in. Kenny was superb the last day but with the limerick physicality it’ll be tough going for him. The weather will play a part but hopefully it’s a great game and we can get the win.

Henry almost done ye a favour and got him banned in the semi 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Surely a roving Eoin Cody or possibly Mullen in an attempt to unsettle the Limerick HB line. Id like to see Mullen centre forward dropping back into midfield. Could make things awkward as he will score heavily if he gets space. Cody on Byrnes maybe, over and back across the HF line. TJ testing out the likes of Nash under high ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 longcovid

Unlike Clare I expect Limerick to push up on the short puck out. Murphy will have to vary it short, mid, long and his accuracy will be vital. We all saw Galway cut the supply to Gillane and Flanagan in the second half. They like to play to the space in front of them but Galway spotted that and started to populate the area, maybe too late. Here's hoping for a great game and if Limk win the three in a row I hope we make them earn every point. Kilkenny looked like a new team in the semi final so I am much more positive about this team. If Kilkenny win this one then there will be no equivocation as to Brian Cody's greatness even from sometime dissenters like myself.

I also hope the referee pulls Limerick for throwing the ball. They threw four in a row at one stage against Galway to get out of trouble and get an attack going from which they scored. These are the fine margins which change momentum and swing games. Maybe Brian Cody can have a word in his ear beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Mullins was also a big loss i know he played to half time but was not at the races .

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

On the throwing of the ball yes Limerick are masters at it especially on the blind side of the referee but sure fair play to them, any small margins at this level is an advantage. I don't agree with it. Tis almost impossible to referee if done right, but sure our lads can do the same and just be cute when they throw it and have their back to the ref. I'm sure our coaching staff have been having a word or two in training 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The throwing of the ball is particularly useful when moving the ball at pace. If it's blown it disrupts that system. You don't throw the ball for the sake of it but it's a huge advantage when in tight situations. It's illegal for that reason.

Limerick were happy to give Cork the short puck out and no option after so could be the same for Kilkenny.

As for the ref I'm sure Cody will have a word in his ear despite it being the height of hypocrisy from the man who sends teams out to "play on the edge"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I pop into the Limerick forum for a read occasionally. Like all forums, there are many decent posters but a few gobshites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Looking forward to Sunday. As a Limerick fan irrespective of all the sh!te talk going around its going to be a brilliant game and I would say will go down to the wire. Two great teams going at it full tilt, may the best team win!

Ps any tickets going nah?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

"Playing on the edge" = playing just within the boundaries/rules.

Throwing the ball = Blatantly breaking the rules.

Ah we all know playing on the edge involves a lot of stepping over the line and getting away with it.

Every team does but the successful ones either do it more, do it better or maybe it's just noticed more.

The focus on hand passing has affected Limerick though and you can see a lot more stick passing from them this championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 laymansterms

If anyone is stuck, tickets are on general sale from 11am today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭davidx40

Anyone know which would be the better ticket , a premium level 527 k seat 6 or Cusack upper 709 row v ....is row v upper back to far

Advertisement